Driven for 10hours and 9 mins will vosa be bothered?

aslong as you are not making a habit of it then you’ll be ok

scotstrucker:

I’ve got a bit confused, :confused: Are you referring to the OP’s tacho infringement or Evil8beezie’s choice of night time attire. :laughing:

muckles:

scotstrucker:

I’ve got a bit confused, :confused: Are you referring to the OP’s tacho infringement or Evil8beezie’s choice of night time attire. :laughing:

both :smiley:

TruckerAds:
Driven for 4h 28m took a break drove for a further 1h 41m seen a burger van so decided to pull over for a 45 then drove back to the yard which took me 4h 1m due to an accident on the A1

In all i have driven for 10h and 9 mins, will vosa kick a fuss up if i got pulled?

Done a print out and wrote on about traffic jam and no where safe and suitable to park up for the night so drove back to yard

Thanks in advance
Adam

In my experience you have no problem whatsoever as stated by a small minority already

1. You were within regs (9 mins over for safe parking due accident delay is acceptable)
  2. You took plenty of breaks including an extra one for a burger (they take a much
    dimmer view of insufficient breaks).
  3. You noted it on a printout.
  4. Isolated event.

Funny how you asked people if they knew the VOSA view on this but instead you mostly got behaviour lectures from self appointed head teachers with absolutely no experience to back up their lecture.

In future perhaps you should raise such real life queries on a Truck Drivers forum instead :smiley:

Hurryup&wait:

TruckerAds:
Driven for 4h 28m took a break drove for a further 1h 41m seen a burger van so decided to pull over for a 45 then drove back to the yard which took me 4h 1m due to an accident on the A1

In all i have driven for 10h and 9 mins, will vosa kick a fuss up if i got pulled?

Done a print out and wrote on about traffic jam and no where safe and suitable to park up for the night so drove back to yard

Thanks in advance
Adam

In my experience you have no problem whatsoever as stated by a small minority already

1. You were within regs (9 mins over for safe parking due accident delay is acceptable)
  2. You took plenty of breaks including an extra one for a burger (they take a much
  4. Isolated event.

Funny how you asked people if they knew the VOSA view on this but instead you mostly got behaviour lectures from self appointed head teachers with absolutely no experience to back up their lecture.

In future perhaps you should raise such real life queries on a Truck Drivers forum instead :smiley:

Yeh, but then he only listened to the answers that he wanted to hear.
The question was ‘‘Will VOSA be bothered’’
If he had been pulled before he got back to base when over his time, it depends on how YOU define ‘‘bothered’’
I obviously define it different to you, but then I’m just a self appointed teacher with ‘‘absolutely no experience’’ compared to you…apparentlly :neutral_face:

Don’t worry about it. If AndrewG is in front of you when you get near the checkpoint it will probably be him getting pulled for running at 50t or something. It’s always good to make sure you’re behind a cowboy when passing checkpoints; keeps the focus off the good boys and girls.

You’ll most likely get a finger wagging off the VOSA man.

Here you go, the official answer - Verbal Warning.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/598371/enforcement-sanctions-policy.pdf#page103

robroy:

Hurryup&wait:

TruckerAds:

Thanks in advance
Adam

4. Isolated event.

Yeh, but then he only listened to the answers that he wanted to hear.
The question was ‘‘Will VOSA be bothered’’
If he had been pulled before he got back to base when over his time, it depends on how YOU define ‘‘bothered’’
I obviously define it different to you, but then I’m just a self appointed teacher with ‘‘absolutely no experience’’ compared to you…apparentlly :neutral_face:

Evening Rob, wasn’t really referring to you but more to the statements of 9h20m was crazy planning, 10 hrs is exceeding your 9 hours limit by 1 hour already. Etc.

The question was what would VOSA say and my VOSA/Constabulary experience was as I described and if you have a different VOSA experience let us know.

I referred to people stating VOSA would shoot him etc and I am very confident they were speaking without any VOSA experience on the matter because my run ins at this level of excess were not a problem (others unfortunately were).

I wasn’t referring directly to you cos in fairness, you didn’t say much on the VOSA view but more on the stress of running so tight all the time and I couldn’t agree more.
If this is not an isolated event I am also with you on this one regardless of VOSA.

However if exceptionally I am 9 minutes from the yard after loosing 50 minutes to an RTA I’m pressing on if it suits my personal needs on the night because it’s within the regs and VOSA are good with such isolated events.

I know you are hugely experienced driver and I never said otherwise. You are also one of the consistently very sensible opinions on here but since you raise the issue:

Are you really going to park up 9 minutes from home in a very rare event of losing 50 mins in an RTA, even on your 6th and last card?

shep532:
Here you go, the official answer - Verbal Warning.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/598371/enforcement-sanctions-policy.pdf#page103

Nice one, very useful and from the horses mouth.

End of.

Hurryup&wait:
Evening Rob, wasn’t really referring to you but more to the statements of 9h20m was crazy planning, 10 hrs is exceeding your 9 hours limit by 1 hour already. Etc.

9 hours 20 minutes driving for a day driver is crazy planning, as I said before if you’re planned for a 9 hour 20 minute drive the sensible thing to do is either not do it or plan for a possible night out, or at-least plan for the eventuality that you may need to be recovered.

Hurryup&wait:
Are you really going to park up 9 minutes from home in a very rare event of losing 50 mins in an RTA, even on your 6th and last card?

No, but why not phone your office and make it their problem instead of yours?

You are committing an offence to save your boss paying another driver half an hour’s overtime.

Hurryup&wait:

The question was what would VOSA say and my VOSA/Constabulary experience was as I described and if you have a different VOSA experience let us know.

I referred to people stating VOSA would shoot him etc and I am very confident they were speaking without any VOSA experience on the matter because my run ins at this level of excess were not a problem (others unfortunately were).

I wasn’t referring directly to you cos in fairness, you didn’t say much on the VOSA view but more on the stress of running so tight all the time and I couldn’t agree more.
If this is not an isolated event I am also with you on this one regardless of VOSA.

However if exceptionally I am 9 minutes from the yard after loosing 50 minutes to an RTA I’m pressing on if it suits my personal needs on the night because it’s within the regs and VOSA are good with such isolated events.

I know you are hugely experienced driver and I never said otherwise. You are also one of the consistently very sensible opinions on here but since you raise the issue:

To be fair most experiences I have had with VOSA have been pretty positive.
As far as the o/p goes, he asked a question.
I gave my opinion based on the fact he knew what he was doing, and had no intention of trying to avoid going over his time, , but as it was not what he wanted to hear he implied I was being unrealistic…that is what bugged me a bit.
I aint a driver’ s hours ■■■■ by any means, I agree a note on a print out would be acceptable in reality.
As for me, if knowing I could not get back in my time, I would have parked up 30 mins from home, being employed as a tramper.
I would park up for the night and claim my expenses., I don’t make the rules, so I use them to my benefit as I aint stupid.
In reality I would park up and get a lift home, and still claim my expenses. :bulb:

tachograph:

Hurryup&wait:

9 hours 20 minutes driving for a day driver is crazy planning, as I said before if you’re planned for a 9 hour 20 minute drive you should either not do it or plan for a possible night out, or at-least plan for the eventuality that you may need to be recovered.

Tacho you are the best source of factual info on here but are you saying 8h20m is crazy planning on a normal day when there is 40 minutes to spare on it? Surely not?!

If this overrun is isolated and due to the reasons stated the regs allow you to run into parking is my understating so I am good to continue would you agree?

On the other hand if this Not an isolated event I’ll park as Five-0 will not be happy whether it’s a roadside of office check, but more importantly as Rob kinda says it’s the stress of such tight planning so I have to ensure the lousy plan fails and is not repeated.

However the OP’s question was what is the enforcers view of his indiscretion. I was answering it directly and not giving him a naughty boy lecture “for let he who has not sinned …cast the first stone” and so on.

Likewise it is not for me to say such a plan is wrong or crazy and refuse the trip before I leave the yard but many on here feel it is their right

I drive for a very small family run potato merchant when i say small i drive the only artic he has, that and 4 rigids all lads on them are class 2 only lads so someone coming to me wouldnt of being possable (unless it was the fitter but they like to go home at 4.30pm) in all honesty i could of looked for some where to park an hour early on it is a sleeper cab,

I pushed my luck trying to get back thats all, i dont mind the odd night out used to work on 4 on 4 off previous employer doing nights out, no excuse but i was not prepared for a night out no gear, have since put some gear in the truck now just in case, im on my 3rd week driving for this new employer in case anyone is wondering “why didnt you go prepared” but when i took the job the TM words were “you will get home every night” so i go to work unprepared for a night out,

The 2nd time he was tryed a trip like this refused the last run of 2h 10 mins drive time left wanted me to run to Thirsk and back an hour each way now that would of been pushing it, These TM must think traffic flows 100% always.

TruckerAds:
I drive for a very small family run potato merchant when i say small i drive the only artic he has, that and 4 rigids all lads on them are class 2 only lads so someone coming to me wouldnt of being possable (unless it was the fitter but they like to go home at 4.30pm) in all honesty i could of looked for some where to park an hour early on it is a sleeper cab,

I pushed my luck trying to get back thats all, i dont mind the odd night out used to work on 4 on 4 off previous employer doing nights out, no excuse but i was not prepared for a night out no gear, have since put some gear in the truck now just in case, im on my 3rd week driving for this new employer in case anyone is wondering “why didnt you go prepared” but when i took the job the TM words were “you will get home every night” so i go to work unprepared for a night out,

The 2nd time he was tryed a trip like this refused the last run of 2h 10 mins drive time left wanted me to run to Thirsk and back an hour each way now that would of been pushing it, These TM must think traffic flows 100% always.

A perfectly sensible approach to to the events as they evolved in my opinion.

As some others already said no need to worry about VOSA on this one in my VOSA exposure experience.

robroy:

Hurryup&wait:

I gave my opinion based on the fact he knew what he was doing, and had no intention of trying to avoid going over his time, , but as it was not what he wanted to hear he implied I was being unrealistic…that is what bugged me a bit.
I aint a driver’ s hours ■■■■ by any means, I agree a note on a print out would be acceptable in reality.
As for me, if knowing I could not get back in my time, I would have parked up 30 mins from home, being employed as a tramper.
I would park up for the night and claim my expenses., I don’t make the rules, so I use them to my benefit as I aint stupid.
In reality I would park up and get a lift home, and still claim my expenses. :bulb:

I wasnt refering to you directly drive, i felt some answears were slightly exaggerated thats all nothing personal pal and i appreciate your time answering my Q so thank you…

I know some people ive worked along side would of just pulled there card out but i figured id do things legal at least

Hurryup&wait:

TruckerAds:

A perfectly sensible approach to to the events as they evolved in my opinion.

As some others already said no need to worry about VOSA on this one in my VOSA exposure experience.

Thank you for your input drive.

robroy:

Hurryup&wait:

Sorry Rob, missed seeing your post sooner due me now on phone screen.I thought you were gone out for a pint too actually.

That’s a fair summary of where you are coming from and I like your clever double dip (win/win approach).

My outfit isn’t very big and are quiet good to me so I wouldn’t drop them in it for 9 minutes if it were to upset a customer or wangle expenses however there is one ex-employer and I would cherish such opportunity.

I think we are broadly on the same page which I assume depends on how capitalistic the boss is and we will respond accordingly.

Glen A9:

Hurryup&wait:

No, but why not phone your office and make it their problem instead of yours?

You are committing an offence to save your boss paying another driver half an hour’s overtime.

I agree with your first part Glen unless I suspect they might make a decision that is contrary to my wishes on that particular night e.g. Fri or Sat.

I’ll ask for forgiveness afterwards rather than permission beforehand to avoid being screwed if needs must.

I’m saying running in is Not Illegal though (verbal warning at worst it seems now) and so long as my employer passes both the attitude test and the remuneration test this is most likely what I would do too. (We are paid daily).

However each to their own decision but what I and others are disagreeing with here is that VOSA would nail Adam or he was crazy to start his trip in this instance.