Would it be ok?

On the way back from a tip and I got the 4.25 hour warning. The depot is 20 minutes away. Having already done one block of 4.5 earlier today I’m down to my last hour on the 10 hour day. What would VOSA if I went over my drive time being slow close to home.

P.s I am sitting in a laybay having my 30 minute break as I didn’t want to risk it, I’m just curious about the situation.

Radar19:
On the way back from a tip and I got the 4.25 hour warning. The depot is 20 minutes away. Having already done one block of 4.5 earlier today I’m down to my last hour on the 10 hour day. What would VOSA if I went over my drive time being slow close to home.

P.s I am sitting in a laybay having my 30 minute break as I didn’t want to risk it, I’m just curious about the situation.

You’d get SHOT and you would still be in to a 10hr drive so it would be totally pointless. I really suggest you sit down at some point and read the Basic regs again, and understand 9 hrs drive max extended 2 times to 10 …13hrs shift extend to 15hrs etc … I know your a newbie but really … :unamused:

If i was twenty mins away on a satdy ,i know what id do and its not park up for sure,do vosa work satdy afternoons :question: :question:

Radar19:

Um, you need a 45 not a 30 if you’re approaching 4:30 driving time since your last 45. Why are you only having 30 mins? :open_mouth:

nick2008:

Radar19:

You’d get SHOT and you would still be in to a 10hr drive so it would be totally pointless. I really suggest you sit down at some point and read the Basic regs again, and understand 9 hrs drive max extended 2 times to 10 …13hrs shift extend to 15hrs etc … I know your a newbie but really … :unamused:

I know that, the guidelines are set out in a perfect world so that is why I’m asking. I was curious as to what might happen. Do they gloss over it if it’s 5 minutes or do they come down on you like a ton of bricks. In another thread where someone had a photo of a guy from Europe who had binned it after going over his hours. Some of the comments mentioned that VOSA might look past that.

Reading this it seems like you’re under the impression once you’ve had 45, you’ve lost 4.5 hours?

The fact you’re only 20 minutes from depot is not a feasable excuse for going over your drive time. It’s not something they’re likely to say ‘OK then’ if you were stopped.
And yes DVSA do work Saturdays/Sundays/Bank Holidays and even throughout the night.

If you’ve already done 2 x 10hrs this week and you’ve run out of daily driving time, better get on the phone to the depot and ask for another driver to be sent out…

Or failing that camp out in the truck :grimacing:

Radar19:
I know that, the guidelines are set out in a perfect world so that is why I’m asking. I was curious as to what might happen. Do they gloss over it if it’s 5 minutes or do they come down on you like a ton of bricks. In another thread where someone had a photo of a guy from Europe who had binned it after going over his hours. Some of the comments mentioned that VOSA might look past that.

No they are NOT guidelines they are the set out RULES forget what hearsay is or mmtm or anything else .
If your going to break the REGULATIONS then you’ll feel the full weight of losing your licence a hefty fine and more …

if your not going to obey regulations NOT guidelines then why bother putting a card in in the first place …

You really need to get a grasp on this occupation or your not going to last … not only that your boss might not be so happy as it can effect his rating with VOSA…

seth 70:
If i was twenty mins away on a satdy ,i know what id do and its not park up for sure,do vosa work satdy afternoons :question: :question:

vosa never sleep been pulled into beattock at 6am sunday morning mid winter keep it legal if you want to save money and keep yer ticket

neverhome73:

seth 70:

vosa never sleep been pulled into beattock at 6am sunday morning mid winter keep it legal if you want to save money and keep yer ticket

I wasnt meaning pull the card if thats what you think,would anybody have a night out 20 mins from home ,id sooner push it back on a satdy night :neutral_face:

Never mind if you meet them in the way home it does sit on your card you know. You don’t want to be stressing it for next lot of months every time you drive past a check point, you’ll regret it.

VOSA allow for the odd slight infringement every now and again, where you have been unable to find a safe place to park up in time due to traffic issues or whatever. They won’t allow you to go 20 minutes over so you can get home.

If your only 20 minutes away phone your boss and see if something can be sorted. I’ve had another driver run out with a Sprinter van a few times and we have swapped over. (OK that isn’t technically legal but it gets you back).

seth 70:

neverhome73:

seth 70:

I wasnt meaning pull the card if thats what you think,would anybody have a night out 20 mins from home ,id sooner push it back on a satdy night :neutral_face:

he’s not talking a night out though …
yes I’ve had a night out 20mins from home
so you’d rather brake the regs for your own gain :open_mouth: and we wonder why the jobs on its knees :unamused:

If your company analyse all tacho data, and you went 15 minutes over your second 4 1/2 hour block, then you would receive and infringement. On it’s own that isn’t the biggest deal in the world and would likely be dismissed by your transport manager. However, too many infringements and either you, your company, or both could be liable to some type of sanction, whether that be financial or operational, or both.

Personally I would go a minute or two over, perhaps even three, four or, God forbid, five, but from a DVSA officer’s perspective 15 minutes is pushing it a bit and would carry a high likelihood of you being prohibited from continuing your journey until you’ve taken a prescribed rest period.

It all comes down to a calculation of probabilities of being caught and likely outcomes weighed against what is more valuable and important to you. If you’d rather get home, feel the likelihood of being caught is negligible, and are prepared to take a possible slap on the wrist for a one off infringement, then go for it. On the other hand if you don’t relish the thought of being sent to prison on a manslaughter charge - because the traffic commissioner or judge felt you were overtired at 9 hours 15 mins driving time with insufficient breaks - from when you ran over the clueless cyclist that appeared from nowhere down your side, then park up and take a break.

Happy trucking!

Radar19:
I know that, the guidelines are set out in a perfect world so that is why I’m asking… Some of the comments mentioned that VOSA might look past that.

m1cks:
The fact you’re only 20 minutes from depot is not a feasable excuse for going over your drive time. It’s not something they’re likely to say ‘OK then’ if you were stopped.

I’d like to see you on the hard shoulder explaining to an officer you’re only 20 mins from home so they should be able to “see past” it.

perhaps they’ll agree with you. :laughing:

nick2008:

Radar19:

Ady, i really don’t want to be pedantic, BUT…

can you show me in the rules and regs where it states that you can do a 13 hour shift extending to a 15 hour shift?

there is no rule or regulation stating how much time you can have on duty

there is, however, a rule stating how much REST you must have within a 24 hour period

a lot of the confusion is because people get the terminology incorrect, if we can get that part right, it all becomes a lot simpler to understand the rules and regs :slight_smile:

hope this helps :slight_smile:

shuttlespanker:

nick2008:

Radar19:

Ady, i really don’t want to be pedantic, BUT…

can you show me in the rules and regs where it states that you can do a 13 hour shift extending to a 15 hour shift?

there is no rule or regulation stating how much time you can have on duty

there is, however, a rule stating how much REST you must have within a 24 hour period

a lot of the confusion is because people get the terminology incorrect, if we can get that part right, it all becomes a lot simpler to understand the rules and regs :slight_smile:

hope this helps :slight_smile:

fair cop but you and he knows what im on about :wink:

by the way Rob how was the holiday ?

Worst case scenario you push on, are involved in an accident and someone dies. The headlines are along the lines of “Tired Juggernaut Driver Kills Man/Woman/Child.”

You go to jail.

Doesn’t matter it was ‘only 15 minutes’.

Worth parking up for 30/45 minutes and having a nap, cup of coffee, reading a book, watching the world go by? You decide.