Would it be ok?

20 minutes from home? I’d have parked the scrapyard up and thumbed it home! :smiling_imp:

nick2008:
by the way Rob how was the holiday ?

enjoyable, although the weather wasn’t brilliant, thanks :smiley:

can’t wait until next year, already booked the site and selected a specific pitch :grimacing:

I’d rather ask here and get an ear bashing than having to deal with Mr VOSA. I was on break when I posted this, I had already had a 15 minute break after I was tipped at Asda. Made it back to the depot, downloaded the card and everything was green.

You should also be aware of Operator Compliance. DVSA (VOSA) have a traffic light scale to assess transport operations, giving operators a red, amber or green rating based on their record…including drivers hours. Green operators are left alone (I haven’t been pulled onto a check point for years, because we are green), red operators get roadside checks, site visits, maintenance record checks and so on. So operators with a green score guard it ferociously, get VERY annoyed if people put it at risk. Red operators are desperate to be green, so they’ll get VERY annoyed too. Unless, of course, you work for a total cowboy!

The answer to what would happen depends, as always, on the severity of the offence and your offending record. Run wildly over your time, and do it often, and you could wind up in prison. A few minutes accidently, once in a blue moon will be a slap on the wrist. It is VERY unlikely to be ignored, though.

And don’t be discouraged by people that tell you to get a new career because you don’t know as much as they CLAIM to. Keep asking questions, and learn by doing…as we all did.

So how many driving hrs have your completed this week… and you working next week :open_mouth:

Swampey2418:
So how many driving hrs have your completed this week… and you working next week :open_mouth:

Monday the 18th 4 hours of drive time, had Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday off. Worked yesterday, 6 hours. I did 8 hours 33 minutes today according to the printout. I’m on tomorrow and Monday.

Radar19:
On the way back from a tip and I got the 4.25 hour warning. The depot is 20 minutes away. Having already done one block of 4.5 earlier today I’m down to my last hour on the 10 hour day. What would VOSA if I went over my drive time being slow close to home.

P.s I am sitting in a laybay having my 30 minute break as I didn’t want to risk it, I’m just curious about the situation.

Your not clear on what you have already done,cos you should have already had a 2nd break of 45 mins in a 10 hours drive time,so why take another 30 mins ■■
Can`t understand why your getting a warning on 4.25 if you have already had your 2nd break to allow you to do 10

lolipop:

Radar19:
On the way back from a tip and I got the 4.25 hour warning. The depot is 20 minutes away. Having already done one block of 4.5 earlier today I’m down to my last hour on the 10 hour day. What would VOSA if I went over my drive time being slow close to home.

P.s I am sitting in a laybay having my 30 minute break as I didn’t want to risk it, I’m just curious about the situation.

Your not clear on what you have already done,cos you should have already had a 2nd break of 45 mins in a 10 hours drive time,so why take another 30 mins ■■
Can`t understand why your getting a warning on 4.25 if you have already had your 2nd break to allow you to do 10

I didn’t explain myself correctly. I had a 15 min break before I left the XDC at Asda. On the way back home I had the tacho give me a warning because I getting close to the 4.5 hour limit. I stuck it on a laybay on the A1 to do the last 30 minute break. On the drive down I used my first 4.5 hour block, I had a 45 min break outside my first drop after I tipped at Morrisons RDC in Sittingbourne. By the time I got to Asda where my second drop was I had about an hour on the drive time clocked up before I left for home.

Me personally, I’d stop safely, call the boss and see if there is any way to get both you and the truck home legally. If not… TAXI!!!

No doubt the taxi driver and his mates would be back at your trucks fuel tank before your feet are under the table lol

Your licence, Your decision!!! :smiley:

G6Bob:
Me personally, I’d stop safely, call the boss and see if there is any way to get both you and the truck home legally. If not… TAXI!!!

No doubt the taxi driver and his mates would be back at your trucks fuel tank before your feet are under the table lol

The issue was never getting the truck home. He had time available to do it on a 10 hour driving day - he was just trying to avoid a second 45. (He must have know he might need it or why would he have already taken a 15?)

m1cks:
The fact you’re only 20 minutes from depot is not a feasable excuse for going over your drive time. It’s not something they’re likely to say ‘OK then’ if you were stopped.
And yes DVSA do work Saturdays/Sundays/Bank Holidays and even throughout the night.

unless its raining,then they just sit in their little cars trying to look important

rob22888:
VOSA allow for the odd slight infringement every now and again, where you have been unable to find a safe place to park up in time due to traffic issues or whatever. They won’t allow you to go 20 minutes over so you can get home.

If your only 20 minutes away phone your boss and see if something can be sorted. I’ve had another driver run out with a Sprinter van a few times and we have swapped over. (OK that isn’t technically legal but it gets you back).

This is BS on VOSA’s part. Surely, any reasonable person would realize that the OP would have a much better rest in his own bed, preferably atop his wife :grimacing: than in a bunk by the side of the road?!?

robbiminator:

rob22888:
VOSA allow for the odd slight infringement every now and again, where you have been unable to find a safe place to park up in time due to traffic issues or whatever. They won’t allow you to go 20 minutes over so you can get home.

If your only 20 minutes away phone your boss and see if something can be sorted. I’ve had another driver run out with a Sprinter van a few times and we have swapped over. (OK that isn’t technically legal but it gets you back).

This is BS on VOSA’s part. Surely, any reasonable person would realize that the OP would have a much better rest in his own bed, preferably atop his wife :grimacing: than in a bunk by the side of the road?!?

But he’s still going home tonight - he just has to take a 30 minute break before setting off again.
He has enough drive time to complete his day he just didn’t want to stop again being only 20 minutes from base.

m1cks:

robbiminator:

rob22888:

But he’s still going home tonight - he just has to take a 30 minute break before setting off again.
He has enough drive time to complete his day he just didn’t want to stop again being only 20 minutes from base.

Meh, I must’ve misread that part. Even so, having to stop for half hour twenty mins from base is stupid. If he or anyone for that matter, ran out of driving time for the day twenty mins from base would they have to pull over and have their rest by the side of the road? The driver’s reg need more flexibility, imo.

rob22888:

If he has time left in his 13/15 hr shift, it’s perfectly legal. Driving a sprinter van (or anything without a tacho) is other work.

robbiminator:

m1cks:

robbiminator:

rob22888:

Meh, I must’ve misread that part. Even so, having to stop for half hour twenty mins from base is stupid. If he or anyone for that matter, ran out of driving time for the day twenty mins from base would they have to pull over and have their rest by the side of the road? The driver’s reg need more flexibility, imo.

The problem with flexibility is that it leads to abuse.

sayersy:

robbiminator:

m1cks:

robbiminator:

rob22888:

Meh, I must’ve misread that part. Even so, having to stop for half hour twenty mins from base is stupid. If he or anyone for that matter, ran out of driving time for the day twenty mins from base would they have to pull over and have their rest by the side of the road? The driver’s regs need more flexibility, imo.

The problem with flexibility is that it leads to abuse.

Maybe, but could a driver really be forced to camp out twenty mins from base because he ran out of hours?

seth 70:

neverhome73:

seth 70:
If i was twenty mins away on a satdy ,i know what id do and its not park up for sure,do vosa work satdy afternoons :question: :question:

vosa never sleep been pulled into beattock at 6am sunday morning mid winter keep it legal if you want to save money and keep yer ticket

I wasnt meaning pull the card if thats what you think,would anybody have a night out 20 mins from home ,id sooner push it back on a satdy night :neutral_face:

Yes I would and have parked it up on more than one occasion less than 20 mins from the yard, I know some people who have pulled into the last layby to the yard and nighted out.

If your so close to home someone (wife/girlfriend or mate) can come and get you and take you back after 9/11 off.

m1cks:

G6Bob:

The issue was never getting the truck home. He had time available to do it on a 10 hour driving day - he was just trying to avoid a second 45. (He must have know he might need it or why would he have already taken a 15?)

Another reason why I NEVER use POA, if I’m not working or driving then I’m on a break, there is no way in hell I’m sitting somewhere for 45 mins on POA and then having to stop again later because I didn’t clear my card.

If my card is clear and I want a coffee, feel tired, hungry, want a shower or any other reason then I’ll stop again.

NewLad:

m1cks:

G6Bob:

Another reason why I NEVER use POA, if I’m not working or driving then I’m on a break, there is no way in hell I’m sitting somewhere for 45 mins on POA and then having to stop again later because I didn’t clear my card.

If my card is clear and I want a coffee, feel tired, hungry, want a shower or any other reason then I’ll stop again.

45 mins on POA does clear your card.