driving hours

hello guys new driver here looking for help i had to drive 10min over my drivinh hrs on friday as i could not find a safe place to stop is that ok as long as i keep a record of it

Yes you’ll be fine. Nothing to worry about. Write an explanation on print out or tacho and don’t make a habit of it.

S333WSB:
hello guys new driver here looking for help i had to drive 10min over my drivinh hrs on friday as i could not find a safe place to stop is that ok as long as i keep a record of it

Whether or not it’s OK depends on why you didn’t stop earlier, if you were trying to get as far as possible then realised there was nowhere to park then you could have problems convincing VOSA not to give you a fixed penalty if your records get checked.
If there was a genuine reason why you couldn’t park up before running out of time then you should be OK, by genuine reason I mean something happened to hold you up that was unforeseeable and you then couldn’t find anywhere suitable to park before running out of driving time.

Either way take two printouts and on them write an explanation of what unforeseeable circumstances occurred that meant you couldn’t find somewhere suitable to park, hand one of the printouts in when your card is downloaded and keep the other one with you in-case you get stopped.

Good luck :wink:

But he won’t have to convince VOSA of anything, they’ll see 10 minutes, an explanation and that’ll be that. Trust me I have a lot of experience with dealing with VOSA and they are not the bogeymen they are made out to be. If its a one off I’d put money in him not getting a fine. If he’s in a UK reg truck I’d also put money on him never being stopped.

switchlogic:
But he won’t have to convince VOSA of anything, they’ll see 10 minutes, an explanation and that’ll be that. Trust me I have a lot of experience with dealing with VOSA and they are not the bogeymen they are made out to be. If its a one off I’d put money in him not getting a fine. If he’s in a UK reg truck I’d also put money on him never being stopped.

I certainly agree that VOSA are not the bogeymen some people make them out to be, I also agree that the op probably won’t get stopped by VOSA any-time soon but the fact that he’s on UK reg plates certainly doesn’t mean he will never get stopped.
I’ve been stopped on UK plates three times in the past 7ish years.
Admittedly on two of those occasions I was pulled out of the queue and told to be on my way within minutes without anything being checked, and on the third occasion they checked every nut on bolt on the vehicle but never checked my records (I put it down to my honest looks you know :laughing: )

The fact remains that the only legally acceptable reason for running over your driving time is through unforeseeable circumstances, while in my personal rare encounters with VOSA I’ve found them to be perfectly reasonable, understanding and courteous I wouldn’t like to guarantee that the op will meet the same people I’ve been fortunate enough to encounter.

We read on these forums from time to time of encounters with not so friendly official type people, I have no way of knowing how exaggerated some of those stories are so I would always advise people to ensure that their explanation of the printout/chart involves unforeseeable circumstances beyond the drivers control :wink:

Anyway unless the op likes getting infringements he will need an acceptable explanation on the printout, though to be honest my experience driver record analysis suggest that all the legitimate explanations in the world won’t stop him getting an infringement :unamused:

I suppose a point I’m trying to make is it is pretty much impossible for VOSA to prove the circumstances he was in were not unavoidable, if indeed they were so. It would be way too much work for a roadside check. If its a rare occurance they won’t be bothered. Back in the day I used to be stopped two or three times a month, what fun! But then as a tramped I’ve always been in Irish or Dutch reg trucks, always like a red rag to a bull. I’m just trying to counter all these scare story’s like the ones you talk of. New drivers if they are doing it right with the odd mistake (after all we are only human) really do have nothing to fear from the V Men and in my opinion most of the scare stories are either bo locks or from people that kick off at VOSA as soon as they open the door.

So my advice to new drivers if stopped- Be polite and friendly. Answer the questions asked in as few words as possible. Give them everything they need straight away. Don’t offer any information, let them ask. If they want to know about an infringement they’ll ask about it, don’t bring it up yourself. And finally, ALWAYS explain infringements on a printout or the back of the tacho. NEVER try and hide anything. For instance never pull your card out if your going to go over your hours for whatever reason. The punishment for falsifying tacho records is huge, for making the odd mistake there often won’t be a punishment. I’ve found by being polite, friendly, open and transparent and having all your documents ready to hand over when at a checkpoint makes life a whole lot easier. Oh and smile!