Extended driving period

Hi everyone, firstly id like to apologise for this question, its probably stupid but im confused.

Had my first job last night on a 7.5 tonner, did my first driving stint of 4h 08 minutes, stopped for my break of 46 minutes, (stopped at 4h08 because i knew i couldnt reach the next services before 4h30) drove then for another 4h21m then had a 48m break, i then drove for 1h4m, i was going on the fact that i was still within my 10 hour driving period but the last section was greater than the 1 hour vosa say on there information■■? Am i being daft or is that ok■■?

Also say for example i drove for 4h08 then 4h21 can drive for a further 31m if i take another break but still be within my 9 hour driving time■■?

Sorry if it sounds stupid but im new and its confusing the hell outta me!! Lol

Midnightflyer:
Hi everyone, firstly id like to apologise for this question, its probably stupid but im confused.

Had my first job last night on a 7.5 tonner, did my first driving stint of 4h 08 minutes, stopped for my break of 46 minutes, (stopped at 4h08 because i knew i couldnt reach the next services before 4h30) drove then for another 4h21m then had a 48m break, i then drove for 1h4m, i was going on the fact that i was still within my 10 hour driving period but the last section was greater than the 1 hour vosa say on there information■■? Am i being daft or is that ok■■?

Also say for example i drove for 4h08 then 4h21 can drive for a further 31m if i take another break but still be within my 9 hour driving time■■?

The 10 hour driving rules are the same as for all the driving rules

No more than 4.5 hours without at least a 45 break
You could do 3.5 drive - 45 break - 3.5 drive - 45 break - 3.0 drive for example

The 9 hour drive could be 3.0 drive - 45 break - 3.0 drive - 45 break - 3.0 drive for example

Midnightflyer:

On a 9 hour driving day you can split the 9 hours up however you like as long as you never go over 4½ hours driving without a 45 minute break.

The same applies to a 10 hour driving day, the last driving period can be over 1 hour, it doesn’t matter how the 10 hours driving is split up as long as you never go over 4½ hours without a 45 minute break.

From what you’ve posted you’ve done nothing wrong, in fact it looks like you used your initiative and never pointlessly got too close to the 4½ hours driving time before having the breaks :slight_smile:

You probably already know this but the 45 minute driving break can be split into two parts, the first part must be no less than 15 minutes and the second part must be no less than 30 minutes, and they must be taken in that order.

Thank you very much the pair of you. Had a nightmare night last night. First person out with new wagon, wouldn’t fit on a bay, load got rejected because I was 4 minutes late and they had no instructions anyway (we’re couriers) then couldn’t get hold of the gaffer cos he was out on the razzle!! So sat at Bracknell trying to check me tachometer rules as I didn’t want to get stung first night out lol!! Oh and a Fork truck driver who couldn’t be bothered to help me move a pallet cos I said I wasn’t happy where it was!!!

I once worked with a guy who was adamant that to use your extra hour you had to stop at the end of 9 hours and have a break then use the final 60 minutes.
I knew he was wrong and politely told him but he didn’t or wouldn’t believe me.