Driven for 10hours and 9 mins will vosa be bothered?

TruckerAds:
Im a day man, not that i use that as an excuse but i try my best to get home every night with my young family, as in try my best i know a few tips and tricks to shave a few minutes off my sat nav arrival time, Hence me running to the bare bone got it done from what was gonna be 18 mins over to just 9mins in the end not to bad,

Cheers to all the realistic drives…

Your in a crap job if you have to push it & exercise “tips & tricks” to get back to the yard within a 10 hour drive. Your aren’t being planned a reasonable days work, especially for a day man.

You do realise that by rushing around to get a silly run done, it just encourages your boss to keep giving you silly runs? You’d be doing yourself & your colleagues a favour in the long run if you didn’t rush and failed to get back.

dle1uk:
but i would not have been in that position, i would have sorted it before leaving the yard, either drops/collections taken off or just not go, all presuming it is a day cab, if not then i would have just expected a night out and found somewhere to my liking to park up…

I too would be having words before leaving the yard, but the type of cab isn’t relevant to me.

Doesn’t matter if I have an XXXXL Super Giga Space Cab, I’m employed as a day driver, so expect to get home at night and be planned runs that guarantee that barring exceptional circumstances. Unless I run out of time for reasons completely out of their control, i’d expect to be collected. The moment you start bowing down and dossing in the cab because you couldn’t complete a run that was too tight in the first place, your shafting yourself imo! They’ll remember and bare you in mind for the next time a silly run needs covering.

rob22888:

dle1uk:
but i would not have been in that position, i would have sorted it before leaving the yard, either drops/collections taken off or just not go, all presuming it is a day cab, if not then i would have just expected a night out and found somewhere to my liking to park up…

I too would be having words before leaving the yard, but the type of cab isn’t relevant to me.

Doesn’t matter if I have an XXXXL Super Giga Space Cab, I’m employed as a day driver, so expect to get home at night and be planned runs that guarantee that barring exceptional circumstances. Unless I run out of time for reasons completely out of their control, i’d expect to be collected. The moment you start bowing down and dossing in the cab because you couldn’t complete a run that was too tight in the first place, your shafting yourself imo! They’ll remember and bare you in mind for the next time a silly run needs covering.

you say

yep agree with what you say, just that and its a personal preference, I would rather have a night out then to be ■■■■■■ around by being picked up and then no doubt be ■■■■■■ around the next day, each to their own and all that,

Surely once you had realised that the delay meant that you wouldn’t get back to the depot within the 10 hour limit you could have phoned the office and asked them to send another driver out in a van/company car to swap over and take the truck back - assuming you would still be able to start a daily rest within the required time?

Even if it meant swapping over just a few miles from the depot it’s better than going over the daily drive limit and I’m sure most companies would rather that slight inconvenience than have you committing offences.
The first thing most TMs would say when they saw that infringement would be “why didn’t you phone us?”.

Glen A9:
The first thing most TMs would say when they saw that infringement would be “why didn’t you phone us?”.

Get ready for the answer of not having a company phone, and not using my own! :stuck_out_tongue:

I was in the company of a dvsa inspector a couple of months ago. I was told unless you are a regular offender or a ignorant obnoxious ■■■■, small infringements are generally overlooked…providing you have a valid reason. Ie if you put due to 15 mile jam due to accident on the print out you will (normally) OK.

BUT, they do check.

I broke down on Monday night and couldn’t move. I was fixed after 16 hours. I left card in and moved a mile. I then had 9 hours of from that point. They can’t check whether I broke down or not. But if I get stopped I’ll be a pleasant and helpful driver.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It’s no wonder the ee drivers found it so easy to turn up here and get work.
The jobs being filled with diva type princess drivers that not only have no actual skill, but also be demanded to be picked up to go home or run bent in order to get home.
Speechless.

Glen A9:
Surely once you had realised that the delay meant that you wouldn’t get back to the depot within the 10 hour limit you could have phoned the office and asked them to send another driver out in a van/company car to swap over and take the truck back - assuming you would still be able to start a daily rest within the required time?

Even if it meant swapping over just a few miles from the depot it’s better than going over the daily drive limit and I’m sure most companies would rather that slight inconvenience than have you committing offences.

Had a few occasions when I would phone the office when I was nearing my driving limit and they would send out another ‘fresh’ driver in a van/ car to take over as most runs were time critical regards financial penalties if tips or collections weren’t made on time so the cost of sending someone out to take over was peanuts compared to that.

On the point of a night out in a day cab, it’s illegal as far as I know. Got stopped once by cops who looked over my wagon for overnight stuff like blankets/ duvets etc.

happysack:
I broke down on Monday night and couldn’t move. I was fixed after 16 hours. I left card in and moved a mile. I then had 9 hours of from that point. They can’t check whether I broke down or not. But if I get stopped I’ll be a pleasant and helpful driver.

In that case it would at least be obvious that you were stationary for the time you were broken down and there was nothing gained by starting the daily rest later than required.

Going over the 10 hour driving limit when returning to the depot is just silly though and I doubt that DVSA will have much sympathy when you can easily arrange a swap over when you are so close to home. It’s different if you are actually stuck in a traffic jam when you go over the limit and then stop in the first safe available place, but being delayed earlier then carrying on over the 10 hours to get back to base doesn’t have much excuse.

rob22888:

dle1uk:

You’re well entitled to your view mate.
However as long as you were not running for some incompetent prick of a TM (as the o/p obviously is) and you had plenty time to complete your run, I can not see why anyone would object to a night out every 3rd blue moon due to a genuine unforseen circumstance rta, snow etc …(not our mate’s situation I hasten to add that is MUCH different :unamused: )

Transport is (and always has been) ‘Transport’…■■■■ happens from time to time, nature of the game, can’t be helped…end of… you have rightly pointed out you agree with that.

I have been an employer in the past, but only trampers I have employed.
If I did employ men for day work it would be on the terms of something like this…

‘‘I don’t expect you to have nights out as daymen, I will plan your traffic accordingly so you easily get home every night.
However if an emergency situation occurs through no fault of mine, or yours, which is totally unavoidable, I have provided you with a sleeper cab, and I will pay you night out expenses’’
It’s called give and take mate. :bulb:

I’m speaking biased as a life long tramper here, but I can never understand some diva type attitudes, like ‘I aint ever having nights out me’ :unamused:
Given the points I have made about transport, I can not understand why these guys wanted to be drivers in the first place.

Not having a pop btw mate at you or most daymen, just my opinion and pov.

What difference does it make if youre employed as a day driver to have a night out?? Its really no big deal. Ill never understand those that are too precious to night out and find this overwhelming desire to have to be at home every night :unamused:

AndrewG:
What difference does it make if youre employed as a day driver to have a night out?? Its really no big deal. Ill never understand those that are too precious to night out and find this overwhelming desire to have to be at home every night :unamused:

Stand by for all the usual cliches …living in a tin box/ preferring my own bed/got a life/need a home life and all the rest of it, and the best ones who think we never wash while away. :laughing: . :smiley: :unamused: do these guys think we are all celibate single hermits. :smiley:

It would be nice to be home most nights yeh, but as I said, the odd one aint going to turn you into a ■■■■ pumpkin or something.

I’ve always thought that nights out were the nature of the job, anything else is like playing at it…just my opinion btw.
It’s a bit like joining the Army and saying ‘I don’t want to go on tour, I need to be based in my home town’’ :smiley:

robroy:

AndrewG:

Stand by for all the usual cliches …living in a tin box/ preferring my own bed/got a life/need a home life and all the rest of it, and the best ones who think we never wash while away. :laughing: . :smiley: :unamused: do these guys think we are all celibate single hermits. :smiley:

It would be nice to be home most nights yeh, but as I said, the odd one aint going to turn you into a [zb] pumpkin or something.

I’ve always thought that nights out were the nature of the job, anything else is like playing at it…just my opinion btw.
It’s a bit like joining the Army and saying ‘I don’t want to go on tour, I need to be based in my home town’’ :smiley:

Get back in your tin box! :wink:

I’ve only one issue about doing an unexpected night out, and that’s that they can stuff their £20-25 quid up their arse! :imp:
As I’d be unprepared, I’d blow all of that on food and breakfast tea…
So no thanks pal, I’ll be saying come pick me up, or pay a DECENT inconvenience fee!

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

AndrewG:

It would be nice to be home most nights yeh, but as I said, the odd one aint going to turn you into a [zb] pumpkin or something.

Get back in your tin box! :wink:

I’ve only one issue about doing an unexpected night out, and that’s that they can stuff their £20-25 quid up their arse! :imp:
So no thanks pal, I’ll be saying come pick me up, or pay a DECENT inconvenience fee!

Yeh good point.
If the ratio as a percentage between wage and n/o money was the same now as it was when I started, it would be about 50 quid a night out.
Sleepers put pay to that, although I prefer them to digs or dossing across the seats as we all used to. (Can you imagine the latter today :smiley: )
They used to give you enough for a B&B, where can you stay that is habitable for 20 25 quid today?

Evil8Beezle:

We all don’t sign up to “Tramp” (there as to be a better way to say that, as people that live in caravans, are they tramping too?), unlike the guy a saw at Tonrose (Accrington), southern bloke heading to Glasglow with multidrop, goes into warehouse with the Big Chunk soup, comes out leaves it on side of truck for like 10 minutes, must have been stone cold, and still eats it. People that might not of been to this particular place before, there is a butty van right out side of the gates, and the company will let you park up in the yard even if not tipping/loading to get some food/a brew from there.

What I don’t really understand, is that tramping hourly wages generally seem lower than day workers, and only really balanced out or beaten by including the night out money. :confused:

Yes if I signed up to a tramping gig I’d have no issue with the rate I agreed, as I knew it was coming and would have all my creature comforts and teddy :blush: with me. But offering the miserly sum of £20-25 to an unprepared day driver is a bit of an insult in my eyes as they are basically doing the firm a favour. :confused: Then we have the consideration of whether they managed to have a decent kip considering they were unprepared, and are they fit to work the next day, or have to take it off? :neutral_face:

Maybe there should be 2 different rates, but that’s a can of worms no employer wants to open… :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
Yes if I signed up to a tramping gig I’d have no issue with the rate I agreed, as I knew it was coming and would have all my creature comforts and teddy :blush: with me.

Really?? :open_mouth:

Ok, I’m admittedlly shocked, but …Very brave of you to admit to that on here mate, I respect you for that. :sunglasses:
As for me … I find that in the bunk kipping in my undercrackers is quite adequate.
But hey ! …Each to his own, whatever turns you on, and nobody is judging you here.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve got both of those! :open_mouth:

Ok ok, I only mentioned it.
I did NOT ask you to pm me this photo of you :open_mouth: …no more please!! This stops now.

mario-lopez-niptuck-lingerie1.jpg
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yep, this thread is well and truly off track now! :laughing:

And I thought I was a short fat ginger bloke? :confused: