Taking mans best friend out in the truck permitted?

The thought of taking my dog out with me on the odd run crossed my mind. Would it be legal? Permitted even? I’ve got a harness with a seatbelt attachment for him it were needed too. Any opinions?

It’s the same as taking your children out with you, it’s legal but it may fall foul of the policies of the places you deliver to.

Thanx for the reply. I’m certain on one of my chilled food runs it would be a definite no no. But a general cargo one probably couldn’t do much harm if he’s out of the way and quiet

most places don’t allow passengers - they probably won’t be to keen on pets either . As you say anywhere thats food related it will be a definate no no. On the other hand if your on a cattle lorry then you probably have a good case for a well trained working dog .

Some firms don’t mind anything as long as the wheels are turning, but to be fair it’s only going to be smaller set ups where the boss is behind the desk, I used to take it in turns with the dog to go with my old man. As said delivery point rules might be the end to it, I remember the dog having to stay at the gate house in Taunton marine base, got fed and spoilt rotten lol :sunglasses:

The best cab muts are hounds that don’t shed hair.
Jack Russell, Paterdale,Boxer .
I had a German Shepherd in the truck I owned, it was a nightmare with skin dust and hairs everywhere, and the smell of dog

If the places you may visit ,involve security checking inside the cab, and they see the dog, it could cause a problem .
If no cab searches, then a dog basket carry case to put it inside then cover it with the duvet, nobody would know then .

What type of dog do you have ?
A dog will keep a driver fit by lots of walking on a night out and deter a cab break in .

beefy4605:
most places don’t allow passengers

My boy learned very early on how to hide on the top bunk when we were tipping at Tesco. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or…

‘What the eyes don’t see, the mind will never know…’

Funny I often wounder if drivers still travel with dogs in the cab. Have seen it a few times over the years, usually a jack Russell peeping over the dash lol.

Thought it had fallen foul of today’s H&S. Must be nice for the company on a long run or Tramping. Not to mention a handy bit of security.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I was parked up in Belgium the other night and a guy in the cab next to me had a cat roaming around the cab…

Will I have to make my mutt do an ADR awareness course? :open_mouth:

I used to take my spaniel with me and take him for a walk on my breaks and when I was parked up for the night,used to be brilliant companion unless it was raining and I had a wet dog in the cab with me

Good excuse to stop for a regular brew, can’t get in the habit of being Mr. Endurance if someone’s threatening to curl one out on the bunk! :open_mouth:

Dedicated motor…

Sure, aside from the problems already highlighted about access to some sites.

If you’re using different motors every day, then as far as I’m concerned, no.

Dog hairs everywhere and the odour of dog that lingers for days after. We have someone where I work that’s into horses. I know this because there are horse hairs all over the wagon when I get in.

I have dogs in my cab most nights, kick em out after hour :smiley:

Apparently Dipper Dave likes it ■■■■■■■■■■■ and some dogging on a 45 minute break .
No mongrels though.

I do like the idea of hear no evil see no evil speak no evil. and I’ve got a labradoodle that’s been brought up on mountain walks and and a heavy diet. Not far off the size of my old Akita to be fair. And is a good guard dog. Would be ideal companion for the long nights put

When I was on agency, I flat out refused to get in a cab full of hair and smelling of wet dog or worse. Now some here might think that having a ‘limper’ refuse their truck was a benefit, but their boss might think otherwise when a load is delayed while they found another unit.

I think the mutt in the cab is an owner driver only thing these days.

I do recall, when I was a beginner, in a yard in London; this huge driver with a tiny poodle that would jump off the ground and stand on his outstretched hand.

It’ll put a whole new twist on the meaning, when you park in a layby and go dogging :open_mouth:

Uncleskid:
I used to take my spaniel with me and take him for a walk on my breaks and when I was parked up for the night,used to be brilliant companion unless it was raining and I had a wet dog in the cab with me

You kept a spaniel in your cab? :astonished: Did you have to sleep in the trailer? They’re absolute mustard. My folks have one, it melts my head. Frigging thing licks your trousers.