stobart dss

hi everyone first post so be gentle :blush:

im thinking of applying for the stobart driver agency thing and wondered if any of you people out there in tinternet land do this. what kind of work and money can i expect to be doing. are the hours long and are you expected to be away all week wife not keen on that idea) :unamused:

im midlands based

cheers in advance of your replies jonathan :smiley:

Is this the job where they give you a company van, and expect you to “flit” from depot to depot covering hols etc.
Wasn’t there some discusion of this recently re. travelling time + duty time ?

If its the advert i looked at it says they will give u a company van & pay for petrol to & from work. Looking for cover for any of their depots. It said looking for trampers or day drivers etc. My thoughts are that it would involve quite long hours & nights away as it could be too far to travel home after a shift.
I could be wrong though

Hello jonathan(good quality name that… same as me! :laughing: )
Ive a mate on dss. He lives in nottingham and hes been doing nights from crick.
He tells me hes doing long hours but earning plenty. (over 2k a month banked) I think they take ÂŁ14 a week out of his wage for the van(that might be a month-i dont know for sure) but he can use it for whatever he wants. You can specify either days, nights or tramping at the interview stage i believe. If you need any more info just ask and ill give him a ring.
Rgds Jon

eddiestobart.co.uk/Careers/J … .php?id=94

advert here…

you would have thought they could spell “agencys” correct thou :laughing:

eccleshall driver:
http://www.eddiestobart.co.uk/Careers/Job_Vacancy.php?id=94

advert here…

you would have thought they could spell "agencys" correct thou :laughing:

Why? you cant! :confused:

Agencies can spell agency :unamused:

i was thinking of going to sherburn on days but was wondering about hours, i dont know if they want max hours without the nights out but i didnt want to get stuck on tesco from goole.

I’d have to question the legality of the job. If you’re getting paid whilst driving the van to a job then your are working and that time should count towards your driving hours even though the vehicle doesn’t need a tachograph fitted…I think.
Stuff it,take the money and run.

Dan Skinner:
I’d have to question the legality of the job. If you’re getting paid whilst driving the van to a job then your are working and that time should count towards your driving hours even though the vehicle doesn’t need a tachograph fitted…I think.
Stuff it,take the money and run.

If you’re driving a vehicle under 3500kg for work, but usually drive one that needs a tacho, it counts as “other work”. So it does impact on your hours, but not driving time.

Presumably you’d have to record the driving time to and from the depot on the back of that day’s tacho chart (or digital print out).

thanks for the heads up lads

jb. is that nights tramping or just regular nights. not keen on the nights away from home

dan. i dont think you get payed for traveling to the depots so surely doesn’t count as other work (does it :question: ) with it being a company vehicle does it then become taxable on your wages :question:

shrek. its driving a vehicle to work not for work :sunglasses:

being midlands based i was hoping it was going to be the midlands area (reachable within the hour :unamused: )

if i get the interview i will report back

cheers lads

fingers:
thanks for the heads up lads

jb. is that nights tramping or just regular nights. not keen on the nights away from home

dan. i dont think you get payed for traveling to the depots so surely doesn’t count as other work (does it :question: ) with it being a company vehicle does it then become taxable on your wages :question:

shrek. its driving a vehicle to work not for work :sunglasses:

being midlands based i was hoping it was going to be the midlands area (reachable within the hour :unamused: )

if i get the interview i will report back

cheers lads

I understand you will not be driving off to Bridgewater or Carlisle if you are Midlands based and if you do it will be occasionally for a full week. If your local depot is Burton, you will not get paid to drive your van to work.

If you’re doing DSS then it’s bound to be tramping work. If you’re working at a non local depot then potentially you’ve got 15 hrs work + whatever it takes to get there and back in the van, which is ■■■■■■■ long day.

Btw, quoting the ad - “Sunday Days: £10.50/hr”

:open_mouth: Is this a wind-up? Surely in the Midlands that would be normal week-day day rate, not Sunday’s. I’d expect Sunday’s for an employed driver in the Midlands to be £15/hr minimum.

Anyway, I’ve got a plane to catch. :sunglasses:

people see the wages, but you can add a £1 on to the basic for the meal allowance… how many drivers get an allowance? for dinner on days?
and its not all tramping as they want drivers forall the shifts… just rang em.

I went for a DSS job, did the paper assessment, the driving round a couple of roundabouts in Crick. They even measured me for the uniform and explained the wages. I chose Thursday to Monday, day tramping.

Unfortunately I think I let myself down when I explained about my total dislike of RDC staff and Scania trucks :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t call us, we will call you :wink:

Wheel Nut:
I went for a DSS job, did the paper assessment, the driving round a couple of roundabouts in Crick. They even measured me for the uniform and explained the wages. I chose Thursday to Monday, day tramping.

Unfortunately I think I let myself down when I explained about my total dislike of RDC staff and Scania trucks :stuck_out_tongue:

Crick is all Volvo FH depot WN

I believe “Drivers Support Services” midland based drivers will work mainly Crick,Hams Hall and Burton depots

dessy:

Wheel Nut:

I know but DSS work from different depots and Peter Pratt told me they were buying Scanias :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

dessy:

Wheel Nut:

I know but DSS work from different depots and Peter Pratt told me they were buying Scanias :laughing:

First i’ve heard unless they are replacing existing Volvo wagons and new starters get Scanias :wink:

Stobart Buys Scania

DSS drivers do not get a regular truck, they get a Vauxhall Astra Diesel van :stuck_out_tongue:

DSS is the driver agency of ESL

do some new starters get dennis fire engines