Notice period

If you have not sighed a contract & only been with a firm a few weeks, can you Finnish on the day you decide to leave? I would normally give a weeks notice, however, if I leave at the end of the month I don’t want to start a new month risking not being paid for it?

Yes i would say you can if you have not signed a contract but maybe give them a few daysbut tread carefully and try and leave on good terms that way you might be able to return and secondly there’s more chance you’ll be paid.

You must give your employer 1 week’s notice if you want to leave your job and you’ve worked for them for 1 month or more. You’re usually entitled to normal pay for things like sick leave during your notice period.

Check your employment contract to see if you must give more than 1 week’s notice.

You can give notice verbally or in writing, although it’s advisable to hand in a resignation letter.

gov.uk/handing-in-your-noti … eaving-job

Hi Nick, good info, I have not signed or seen a contract? So I don’t think they can get me to work any notice period?

I would say a weekis adequate. I never had a contract in my last job but gave 2 weeks as it took me upto Xmas break ready for a new start in new year.
It also meant I’d been there an extra month so nicked a bit extra holiday pay.
:laughing:

It’s always good to give a weeks notice. any employer taking on someone who they know didn’t give proper notice get all they deserve

I’d speak to the boss and see what he needs. Burning bridges isn’t a good career move. Bosses talk to one another.
I’ve worked for quite a few Northern Irish firms. When you apply for a job, They have a ring round. upset one and you might as well burn your licence.

OWLDRIVER:
Hi Nick, good info, I have not signed or seen a contract? So I don’t think they can get me to work any notice period?

You don’t have to see or sign a contract … what’s posted is what the Gov body or any legal department will use in defence…give a weeks notice you’ll be entitled to your money and any hours of holiday pay you accrued for the month.

Always leave a company on good terms. Burning your bridges over a little thing like giving the required notice for leaving a job never benefits anybody. Personally, I always ask the boss what he’d like, regardless of what my contract states - that way he’s got no excuse to withold pay that he owes, and he’s less reason to not give me a good reference.

I don’t quite understand where people got the idea that they have to sign a contract for it to actually be contractual. The only legally required contract is one that is verbally agreed in an interview/induction - usually agreed when you’re informed of rates of pay, and expected hours of work. A lot of companies like you to sign a contract on top of this, but it’s not actually required.

Reubs766:
Always leave a company on good terms. Burning your bridges over a little thing like giving the required notice for leaving a job never benefits anybody. Personally, I always ask the boss what he’d like, regardless of what my contract states - that way he’s got no excuse to withold pay that he owes, and he’s less reason to not give me a good reference.

I don’t quite understand where people got the idea that they have to sign a contract for it to actually be contractual. The only legally required contract is one that is verbally agreed in an interview/induction - usually agreed when you’re informed of rates of pay, and expected hours of work. A lot of companies like you to sign a contract on top of this, but it’s not actually required.

Can’t remember ever speaking about notice at a interview It sounds a bit defeatist talking about leaving before you start the job. I’ve always taken it for granted to give a weeks notice I think it says a lot about someone to just go in and say I’m leaving ( unless your jacking for other reasons)

chester1:

Reubs766:

Can’t remember ever speaking about notice at a interview It sounds a bit defeatist talking about leaving before you start the job. I’ve always taken it for granted to give a weeks notice I think it says a lot about someone to just go in and say I’m leaving ( unless your jacking for other reasons)

I’m not saying that it should be asked about before you start the job, just that opportunity to talk about your contract is usually there.

limeyphil:
I’d speak to the boss and see what he needs. Burning bridges isn’t a good career move. Bosses talk to one another.
I’ve worked for quite a few Northern Irish firms. When you apply for a job, They have a ring round. upset one and you might as well burn your licence.

Not just Northern Ireland. You take a new job, any decent employer requires references. Some of you think that it’s not permissible for employers to write anything bad about a previous employee; true to an extent but there are ways round it.

In a case like this, if a driver walked out on me without giving notice, I’d tell the next bloke “I was about to offer him a permanent job but unfortunately did not get the chance to discuss it with him as he decided to look elsewhere”. If the driver had really ■■■■■■ me off and I wanted to spite him, I could truthfully tell the prospective employer that he had failed to turn up for work on ■■■ days and I hadn’t seen him since. I wouldn’t ever do that (nor am I ever likely to as I’m not a TM any more) but it’s perfectly possible others would.

Just a thought; most of you would scream blue murder if an employer told you that you were finishing the next day or didn’t give you proper notice in another form, so why do so many drivers think it’s perfectly acceptable for it to happen the other way round?

nick2008:
You must give your employer 1 week’s notice if you want to leave your job and you’ve worked for them for 1 month or more. You’re usually entitled to normal pay for things like sick leave during your notice period.

Check your employment contract to see if you must give more than 1 week’s notice.

You can give notice verbally or in writing, although it’s advisable to hand in a resignation letter.

The op says no contract is signed so this isn’t correct

Did they give you an offer letter before you started outlining Pay, Holidays etc ?
Normally the letter would contain terms for leaving and also outline your probation period.

JJ192:

nick2008:

JJ
have you read the link

nick2008:

JJ192:

nick2008:

JJ
have you read the link

Yes but is irrelevant if no contract is signed

JJ192:

nick2008:

JJ192:

nick2008:

JJ
have you read the link

Yes but is irrelevant if no contract is signed

No fella what it says is , if you’ve worked for someone for a month 1 weeks notice ( that’s irrelevant of any contract )
After a years employment your still only legally obliged to give 1 weeks notice ( that’s if No contract of employment is give or signed).
Its a basic minimum used scale by employment tribunals to safe guard employers the same as the employee has rights to safe guard them for being dismissed …

You may be in breach of your contract if you don’t give enough notice, or give notice verbally when your employment contract says it should be given in writing.

Nothing there says without contract think you need to read again i have been in this situation and won at court for unpaid wages and the op does not state he has been unfairly dismissed has he he said can you finish not get sacked

JJ192:

You may be in breach of your contract if you don’t give enough notice, or give notice verbally when your employment contract says it should be given in writing.

Nothing there says without contract think you need to read again i have been in this situation and won at court for unpaid wages and the op does not state he has been unfairly dismissed has he he said can you finish not get sacked

No fella read it from the top ,

You must give your employer 1 week’s notice if you want to leave your job and you’ve worked for them for 1 month or more. You’re usually entitled to normal pay for things like sick leave during your notice period

second paragraph

post all of it not just part of it
The first paragraph is designed that if there is no written or proof of contract then this is the norm regardless of the amount of time you have been employed.
At no point did I say the OP was dismissed I just said there are rights to cover both parties

nick2008:

JJ192:

No fella read it from the top ,

You must give your employer 1 week’s notice if you want to leave your job and you’ve worked for them for 1 month or more. You’re usually entitled to normal pay for things like sick leave during your notice period

second paragraph

post all of it not just part of it
The first paragraph is designed that if there is no written or proof of contract then this is the norm regardless of the amount of time you have been employed.
At no point did I say the OP was dismissed I just said there are rights to cover both parties

Clearly your retarded i can read it does not state 1 week notice if you have worked for company for more than a month without contract i have been through court for same thing so dont tell me i dont know idiot