Notice Periods

How long does your employer require from you, when you hand in your notice?
There’s a clause in my contract which means they can ask for upto 4 weeks notice. I gave a week, but they wont say if I need to stay for another three. Very annoying as I can start new job asap…

How long have you worked there?

hand your notice in and if they say you have to work your 4 weeks notice,go on the sick ! :laughing:

Weekly pay = 1 week, Monthly = 4 weeks. If you’ve been there a while i think you may have to give abit more but that is the general rule.

my contract says if i do’nt give 2 weeks notice they can hold my holiday money back :open_mouth:

Normally upto a years employment is 1 week, over a year is a month.
This is for monthly pay contract.

You changing jobs again? Have you got any holiday owed? If so most employers should allow you to take it before you leave.

What are they going to do if you leave after one weeks notice? Sack you?? :smiley: :smiley:

Exactly, I lost out on two jobs because I wanted to do the right thing and give a months notice.

Most firms are willing to drop YOU like a stone when it suits them, next time I get an offer of a job I’m out of this one in as less time as I need to take.

I’m currently working in a hotel, I have to give 4 weeks notice but the way things are going here, and the way they treat pretty much all staff members, im going to be handing my notice in with immediate effect, as soon as I find a company that will take me on permanently. I know i probably wont get my holiday paid, but i want out and to get onto the open road.

Saaamon:
Weekly pay = 1 week, Monthly = 4 weeks. If you’ve been there a while i think you may have to give abit more but that is the general rule.

That’s what I’ve always understood it to be in general.

Funnily enough i am on a weeks holiday this week, i will be putting my weeks notice in next Monday morning, to start a new job the following Monday. My contract states during probationary period, 1 weeks notice, any time after that 4 weeks notice, i have been their for just under 12 months + i signed a document to say they can recoup their training costs back if i left before 2 years service, but as they have not issued any documentation to say :- 1/ I am out of the probationary period. 2/ Have not had a post probationary review / discretionary pay rise of any kind. So i shall be playing that card, the training costs they can take back from my month in hand salary.

In your case, Muckaway, I’d leg it after a week - you’ve been there, what about 7 or 8 months?

Betcha can’t wait :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The usual practice on here is to book a fortnights holiday, never to return, owing hundreds in uneccrued holiday pay :unamused:

I’ve been there 6 months, and was always going to be a stop-gap until I got back to tipper driving again. I’ve had the expected “valuable member of the team” spiel (quite why they believe driving a Daf CF to a bakery and then acting as a free storesman for the customer is akin to saving children I don’t know).

Days in writing.

My contract clearly states 3 months notice to be given.

Although I can’t think of anybody who has left us and been made to work the full three months. Usually folks work 4 weeks notice.
In fact our firm have allowed folks to work right up to the start date of any new job, and one person is still with us on a week to week basis up until he gets the green light to move to Canada.

stobarttrucker:
my contract says if i do’nt give 2 weeks notice they can hold my holiday money back :open_mouth:

its against the law to not pay holiday owed no matter how you leave!
3 months notice would be classed as unfair terms!

truckermarcus:
3 months notice would be classed as unfair terms!

What makes you think that? :confused: That is the notice period I’m on and it works both ways. I’m happy with it.

Call the Acas Helpline on 08457 47 47 47 for free and impartial advice.