Notice period with no contract

Hi guys I am going for a job on Monday, I am looking at if I get the job what is my notice period on my current job. I have been here a month nearly and am yet to sign a contract, it has just come through the post with the notice period of 4 weeks. But I am yet to sign it and send it back as if I get this job on Monday where do I stand? Because If I am not bound by contract do I have to give any notice at all, I would give a week out of courtesy and no more in my opinion. But I wanted to know what you guys thought as I may need a reference ect.

I think a good way to look at it is if you are paid
monthly then give a month’s notice if paid weekly then give one weeks notice

ash 001:
I would give a week out of courtesy and no more in my opinion.

In the same circumstances that would be my attitude to.

never burn bridges you may need to go back!!!

I know what you mean I can assure you I wont be going back, like I said I have only been there a month ( just under) They have offered me no uniform didn’t over me a contract told me I get nothing until I have done 12 weeks work. But out of courtesy I want to give them more but what if my current employer wants me to start earlier. And I really don’t want to stay there another 4 weeks also so I don’t know what to do. Like you said I don’t want to be rude but I want to leave at the same time :frowning:

So just do one.
It happens every day.

Even if you had a contract you would probably still be on a probation period, which would have 1weeks notice on both sides, so I’d give a week out of courtesy, and not worry about it.

tachograph:

ash 001:
I would give a week out of courtesy and no more in my opinion.

In the same circumstances that would be my attitude to.

+1. They may let you go early if it is felt to be in their best interest.

Any future employer should understand that you need to give some notice, and infact if you said to them “I’ve only been there a month so don’t need to bother” that might actually give the wrong impression.

One week in most jobs seems to be standard accepted amount, although some contracts might try the 4 weeks, it’s pretty much unenforceable and all they could really do is hold back any holiday pay you’ve generated (virtually nothing in your case).

One thing I should point out is that most employers won’t be too worried about a reference if you’ve worked there a month. They’ll most likely want one from your previous employer if you worked there for a year or more. Best bet is don’t mention any of this to the current employer however as you’ve got little protection against them getting jittery and ending your employment if they think you might leave.

If you hand in the notice period the company require… Are you not entitled to be paid the holidays you are owed?

ash 001:
I know what you mean I can assure you I wont be going back, like I said I have only been there a month ( just under) They have offered me no uniform didn’t over me a contract told me I get nothing until I have done 12 weeks work. But out of courtesy I want to give them more but what if my current employer wants me to start earlier. And I really don’t want to stay there another 4 weeks also so I don’t know what to do. Like you said I don’t want to be rude but I want to leave at the same time :frowning:

I get a feeling that it’s something more than just a lack of uniform and contract thats making you want to leave.
Alot of places won’t give you a uniform or proper contract till you’ve done your 3 months with them anyway. Any contract they give you will normally be subject to a successful probationary period.

yes it is a lot more then that but didn’t want to ■■■■■ on forums until I have left them the you might see a nice post from me telling you who to avoid lol. Thanks for the reply guys I am worrying over nothing, I have not accrued any holiday so wont be entitled to it so I am not worried about that one bit. If they ask about my notice period in my interview I will just tell them a week and no other information as I don’t want to give them the wrong impression ect. Or they might think ile jump ship on them also, which is not the case as I was in my last job 2 years then I gained both my licences :slight_smile:

Legally in the absence of a signed contract it is a week’s notice.

You are legally required to any holiday pay accrued which works out at 12.7% of the amount of basic hours you’ve worked since you started for statutory holiday pay entitlement.

By accepting your current job and actually starting it, you are employed in accordance with the employment contract whether its signed or not, so could be a breach if you didn’t give the required period.
Just to add, this works both ways, so not something you can really moan about if you get reported for a breach if you give less than the agreed period.
Just be honest with your current employer if you want to leave.

A company I went to wanted me to jack in and start on the Monday.
I said no even though I hated where I was working.
He got the hump but I said how would he like it if I did the same to him.
I started a week later.

I see where your coming from but there is no paperwork tying me to this job, so surely they cant do anything about It I wouldn’t want to leave them in the lurch anyway but I can not see myself staying there for 4 more weeks. I think I will just be polite and explain I have been offered another job and give them a weeks notice.

One week

Just say you read the contract and dont agree with the terms. Not much they can do then!

ash 001:
I see where your coming from but there is no paperwork tying me to this job, so surely they cant do anything about It I wouldn’t want to leave them in the lurch anyway but I can not see myself staying there for 4 more weeks. I think I will just be polite and explain I have been offered another job and give them a weeks notice.

a contract need not be on paper, by starting work there you accepted the terms on contract of employment.

scotstrucker:

ash 001:

a contract need not be on paper, by starting work there you accepted the terms on contract of employment.

That could be argued, but it could be counter argued that having only just received the contract, one cannot be held to it, as T&C’s were unknown. So I’d say the presented terms are yet to be validated & just give a weeks notice out of courteous.

Probation periods work both ways, & i’m sure if they wanted to, they could kick you out the door within a week according to the contract.