Notice period with no contract

Evil8Beezle:

scotstrucker:

ash 001:
I see where your coming from but there is no paperwork tying me to this job, so surely they cant do anything about It I wouldn’t want to leave them in the lurch anyway but I can not see myself staying there for 4 more weeks. I think I will just be polite and explain I have been offered another job and give them a weeks notice.

a contract need not be on paper, by starting work there you accepted the terms on contract of employment.

That could be argued, but it could be counter argued that having only just received the contract, one cannot be held to it, as conditions were unknown. So I’d say the presented terms are yet to be validated & just give a weeks notice out of courteous.

even if i hated the job i would be giving a weeks notice just incase they talk too the new employer

Agreed! :smiley:

In lieu of a written contract the statutory notice period is one week if you have worked for the firm for one month up to 4 years.

As your under a month there is no notice period and even if there were there is very little they can do it you do not work it other than blacklist your name and refuse a reference (there is no obligation for a firm to give you a reference even if they like you).

Bear in mind though conversations are had out the record so I’d offer a weeks notice but ask if they’d let you off it.

15 years underwriting employment law insurance so have come across this type of thing many times…

Thank you very much for the replys, I am jumping the gun a little as job interviews today I am ■■■■■■■■ it to say the least. But if I do get offered the job they will be told politely in writing a weeks notice and see what they say :slight_smile:.

Just give a week,purely out of courtesy,
Never say never you might out of circumstances need to give them another shot

lolipop:
Just give a week,purely out of courtesy,
Never say never you might out of circumstances need to give them another shot

Trust me do say never, if you worked there you would not go back once you got out trust me lmao.

Wait till friday…then say Oh by the way, i wont be back

Dont say anything, if you dropped a bollock in your probation period you would be out the door, and they wouldnt think twice, just jack it in mate.

Very true, but I will stay professional and give a week, I am just awaiting a call from HR to confirm my new job, then they can have my notice :slight_smile: