notice period

been with company 2 months and i have had enough,i emailed 1of the main bosses tonight to let him know my situation and i am handing in a letter of resignation tomorrow to my boss at my depot.Now my question is,how short can a notice period be(apart from jacking in) to be above board and legal,wages due 5th next month so i dont want to give them any reason for not paying up,I have given them till next thursday as my last day,

A full week would be fine, IMO. Good luck for the future :slight_smile:

Should be on your contract I would think.

If you have a contract of employment you have to give 1 weeks notice.

As a general rule if your paid weekly its a week, monthly a month etc. Seeing as you’ve not been there long though a week should be plenty but if you want to leave on good terms its best to ask them how much notice they want.

Youngy:
If you have a contract of employment you have to give 1 weeks notice.

The Sarge:
A full week would be fine, IMO. Good luck for the future :slight_smile:

thanks sarge,i live for today and tomorrow will look after itself,
i have no contract and im paid monthly,

No contract, stay home tomorrow! :sunglasses:

You don’t have to give any notice even if your contract was to say 1 week or 1 months notice.
You would be in breach of your contract by not giving notice but by law they have to pay you every last minute you worked.

The only way they can argue and hold back pay is if they suffer any damage to the company by you leaving with no notice. ie they have to hire a driver at last minute, but then they need good evidence to prove to a court, even then you could still claim it back through court.

Where is the work ethic in the country. Its not all one way . Give a weeks notice, or what ever’s in your contract and leave on reasonable terms as you’ll never know when you may have to go back cap in hand.

Over the years I’ve had so many drive just jack in when they want and then expect wages as soon as without giving a thought of the carnage they’ve left behind - static trucks, loads not delivered, etc.

Totally agree but i think theres been so many companies not just haulage but other trades that have abused employees rights in the past that they are more in favour of the employee rather than the employer now days.

karl67:
Totally agree but i think theres been so many companies not just haulage but other trades that have abused employees rights in the past that they are more in favour of the employee rather than the employer now days.

If you’re an employer, believe it or not, the law is geared to be for the employee. Its very difficult to get away with anything underhand these days. There is a raft of the working population who pray on employers who do not do things exactly by the book. Guys think they can flit between jobs at a moments notice, not caring about the crap they leave behind by just walking out or leaving when they feel like it. Generally these are the guys who are either unemployed or more correctly are unemployable!

If people just do what they say they’ll do or being paid to do, everyone will be happy. But there is a working population who feel its their right to do what they WANT and not what they’re being paid to do.

When you own the company and make your way you can act that way but until then, do what you’re paid to do and everyone is happy.

Hookings:
If you’re an employer, believe it or not, the law is geared to be for the employee. There is a raft of the working population who pray on employers who do not do things exactly by the book. Guys think they can flit between jobs at a moments notice, not caring about the crap they leave behind by just walking out or leaving when they feel like it. Generally these are the guys who are either unemployed or more correctly are unemployable!

Yes had a few that have been like that in my trade balls the job up then leave.

karl67:

Hookings:
If you’re an employer, believe it or not, the law is geared to be for the employee. There is a raft of the working population who pray on employers who do not do things exactly by the book. Guys think they can flit between jobs at a moments notice, not caring about the crap they leave behind by just walking out or leaving when they feel like it. Generally these are the guys who are either unemployed or more correctly are unemployable!

Yes had a few that have been like that in my trade balls the job up then leave.

Agree. Perhaps times are changing. The employee needs to take some responsibility in their actions. However, when they’ve got the state to fall back on… but we can only hope some see sense in their actions.

Hookings:
but we can only hope some see sense in their actions.

Don’t be silly they are getting worse more so the young ones today, what to eat, play on facebook, then go home thats their ideal day.
Lazy bar stewards.

bigvern1:
No contract, stay home tomorrow! :sunglasses:

A contract exists even if its not written down. Statutory periods come into play and the statutory period is 1 week.

If there is nothing written down, then nothing exists. Reading between the lines,the OP doesn’t like the job for whatever reasons. Get out whilst he still doesn’t like it, before he gets stuck in a rut.

bigvern1:
If there is nothing written down, then nothing exists. Reading between the lines,the OP doesn’t like the job for whatever reasons. Get out whilst he still doesn’t like it, before he gets stuck in a rut.

Incorrect vern a contract can either be verbal or written :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I know that. :wink:

2month is ? thats not so bad , a company usually has a 3 month settling in period , , so i’d be surprised if a contract yet exists , just need the hand in a minimum of a weeks notice telling them it’s not what you thought it would be or you dont feel suited for the position after all & it’s clashing with yer home life, cant get a funny on in just 2 months , some jobs suit some & not others