Hi all just joined up as i have found this a very helpful and informative website.

Decided some time ago i wanted a change of career, 20 yrs of fixing cars is enought for me
Got my medical, passed the theory test. and now start my 5 days training 2 weeks on Sunday with my test on the Fri.

I am a bit nervous spending all this money with no real guarantee of a job at the end of it all, My dad who has been a driver ( Drawbars and now Class 1) for over 30yrs is confident i will get work. And with the laws always changing and making it harder to gain a hgv licience it is better to do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks for a great site and hope to share my experiences with you all soon

Welcome motoman,whereabouts in Scotland are you?
Good luck with the training.

Hi gsm31

I am based in Fife

Welcome

Good luck with the training :slight_smile:

Welcome to Trucknet

Welcome to trucknet motoman

As for the question of getting work, try contacting scanny77 (use the pm [private message] facility), his agency is apparantly screaming out for drivers and I believe he in your area. (Bo’ness)

Hi motoman,

WELCOME

Congratulations on the theory test pass and good luck with the training!!

Please keep us posted as to how the training goes and please don’t be afraid to ask a question.
There’s plenty of knowledgeable people on here, so help and advice is always close at hand. :wink:

I reckon that ROG might also be along soon with some good tips… :wink:

Thanks for the welcome guys and i will be sure to ask when i need advice

SEMTEX Thank you i will get in touch with him if all goes well with the test

Welcome to the mad house :laughing: :laughing: [/b]

welcome and hope you will let us all know about your work etc. Liz

Welcome motoman :smiley:
Do a search on this site to find out what training schools are/are not recommended.
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857
ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote:
Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what i have to do to start with so I can tick them off on paper.

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:

Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:

Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or we recommend www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training school. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form
direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf
Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!

motoman:
Thanks for the welcome guys and i will be sure to ask when i need advice

SEMTEX Thank you i will get in touch with him if all goes well with the test

just to make life easier. hi :smiley:

Brownie71 might be able to help too. he is with my agency now as a newbie. he is a couple of weeks ahead of you so he can let you know how the agency have been with him and he will soon be telling you what jobs to refuse :laughing:

scanny77:
Brownie71 might be able to help too. he is with my agency now as a newbie. he is a couple of weeks ahead of you so he can let you know how the agency have been with him and he will soon be telling you what jobs to refuse :laughing:

That means any chilled, transport operator in the Harthill area. :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I have just read the local paper and a job has come up for a
MULTI DROP DELIVERY DRIVER 7.5TON My question is can i drive this 7.5 ton lorry on my present licence, the letters/codes on my photocard licence are listed below, This maybe a good starting job and i would still do my class 2 training and test. Sorry just not sure on the current licence laws :blush:

Frontside- B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p

Rearside
B - 12-11-1987 till 20-05-2040
BE- "
C1 "
C1E " code 107
D1 " code 101
D1E " code 101 119
fklnp "

motoman:
I have just read the local paper and a job has come up for a
MULTI DROP DELIVERY DRIVER 7.5TON My question is can i drive this 7.5 ton lorry on my present licence, the letters/codes on my photocard licence are listed below, This maybe a good starting job and i would still do my class 2 training and test. Sorry just not sure on the current licence laws :blush:

Frontside- B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p

Rearside
B - 12-11-1987 till 20-05-2040
BE- "
C1 "
C1E " code 107
D1 " code 101
D1E " code 101 119
fklnp "

YES - you must have passed your car test before 1997

Thanks Rog yes passed my car test in 1987,

Makes me feel old when i see that… but thankfully it has it benefits the young lads at work are’nt even allowed to drive a car with a caravan Nae luck…

Only problem with the CD rom is it is not compatible with the mac

I would advise that you take some instruction from a driver who has driven one and have them go on a short run with you - it is a big jump from a car :open_mouth:

gsm31:

scanny77:

That means any chilled, transport operator in the Harthill area. :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

apparently my driving skills are ok but i need to work on being a bit more subtle :laughing: