Hi from Bonny Scotland

Hi,

My Name is Gareth and I’m at the early stages of becoming an LGV/HGV driver.

Medical done last night, provisional sent away for today and I’ll be studying for my theory and hazard perception tests for the next wee while.

Bit of background, I’ve been in IT for 20+ years and in the process of being made redundant so now decided I’m going to do something I’ve always wanted to do. May have something to do with the fact an Uncle was a truckie for many years.

Can’t wait to get behind the wheel but I guess its gonna be at least 5 weeks before the theory test is out of the way.

I have some questions but will put new topics up for them as I go.

Cheers
Gareth

Hi there Gareth!

Welcome onto the forum.

I hope you are going to visit a potential training company to ‘try them out’ before parting with your money as there are a lot of brokers out there who will just fleece you for more than you actually need to pay.

Good luck with it anyway and write us a training diary when it comes around if you can. That would be great as well as an inspiration for other newbies.

LJ.

Thanks LJ,
I’m going to be training with CTTS is Bathgate that are on the forums “approved” list.

Went in to see them a few weeks ago and had a really good chat about all sorts and everything - nothing was promised regarding jobs after - good advice (I thought) was given.

I did contact a few others but CTTS were both the cheapest and closest. Winner.

Was actually thinking about do a video diary of my training on youtube.

Cheers
Gareth

(Double Post)

Video diary is brave unless you are extremely confident in your skills to pass. There is a lot of pressure in training and testing. It would be good if you felt able to though.

CTTS is indeed a recommended school and I have also independently heard good things about them.

Best of luck.

Ha,

Certainly not confident in my abilities to pass. I’ve only driven an Artic once. Need to do my class 2 first as well. I’m not ashamed to admit if I fail - I also have the advantage of being able to edit any videos I post :wink:

Not talking about filming the lessons or anything just a diary really.

Cheers
G

Hi Gareth
I am just down the road from you in Airdrie, :smiley: and am going for my hgv as well,got my medical on wednesday ,thinking of doing my training with Highfield heavies from Ayrshire ,they said they would come up to glasgow for my training which i thought was good of them,out of interest how much were you quoted from ctts

Craig

Hi Craig,

This is what I’ve been quoted - they did say the prices might go up by about £20 per course between when I was quoted and when I start.

Class 2 - 5 Days - £965
Class 1 — 5 days - £1070
HIAB - 3 Days - £510
CAT D - 3 Days having recently done Cat C (Class 2) £690 otherwise 5 days - £965

All their prices are on the website - cttstraining.co.uk/prices.php

Just had a look at the prices for Highfield Heavies and the prices are great - are they on the forums “approved” list?

Good luck mate
Gareth

Hi Gareth
Yes they are on the list,i was quoted £920 for class 2 and the same for class1 ,with £250 for the re-test if needed,(hopefully
not :wink: )never asked about cat D or hiab though

Cheers Craig

theres also Ritchies training in Glasgow you could try :bulb: as all the trainers will tell you on here its best to have a visit to a couple trainers and get the feel first before you part with your money because cheapest is not always the best :wink:

I’m local to both you guys and few years ago when I did my C I just jumped in with the nearest and cheapest and lucky for me I passed first time but the training was probs one of the worst experience in any sort of training I have every had :confused:

so fast forward couple years and i go for my C-E but instead of jumping in i shopped around as the saying goes, and found a good training school that made the training enjoyable which is half the battle and again luckily for me i passed first time

so any advice that can be given is not to jump in but to have good look around first :wink:

gar374:
I’m going to be training with CTTS is Bathgate that are on the forums “approved” list.

Went in to see them a few weeks ago and had a really good chat about all sorts and everything - nothing was promised regarding jobs after - good advice (I thought) was given.

Yes, that’s a smart move. They’ve already been tried & tested and found to give results, so you’ve done the right thing.

gar374:
I did contact a few others but CTTS were both the cheapest and closest. Winner.

Like you say, you’re on to a winner there then I reckon. Nice one!

gar374:
Was actually thinking about do a video diary of my training on youtube.

Yes, that seems like a good (and very different!) idea. I’d be interested to see that.

gar374:
HIAB - 3 Days - £510

JESUS CHRIST!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: How much■■?
Surely that can’t be right, just for a HIAB ticket? :open_mouth:

Try the Vosa website applications listings to locate small to big firms that you know may have not existed in your area from one man bands to fleets.

I take it thats a bit steep for HIAB then.

The advice I got from CTTS was to make myself more flexible. Might see about better prices for HIAB then.

Cheers
G

£150 for my hiab courtesy of SLA

That sounds like a bargain to me - thanks for that mate.

Cheers
G

Even having a Jaupt Approved course with upload fees, £510 sounds like extortion.

Hi guys I’m quite a new driver myself from Edinburgh, did you get a quote from Scania at Newbridge I did my training with them passed my LGV 1 in January I highly recommend them they organised everything for me including medical and initial cpc courses… Kinda saved me money on the medical cause my doctors at Durham road tried to charge me £130 but they sent me to there own doctor in ■■■■■■■■■■■ for £40 lol

Have you got a job lined up or just do the usual agency route? Currently agency myself on the ISO containers must say I enjoy it.

I think all in it cost me around £2400 for C, C+E, Medical, CPC, Theory ect… Dunno if its a little pricey? More than happy with the cost tho as they got me both first time passes with only a couple of minors each test ( I was after clean sheets tho especially on my class 1 so was ■■■■■■ off with myself at that lol… Or the little red car that shot across a roundabout in Bathgate at 70mph that gave me my minors…)

Both trainers Chris and Ian are great guys and probably the best in the business in our area…

Hi,

My doc was after £90 and a three week wait but when I popped in to see CTTS they gave me the card of a doc that comes to your house, he was only £80 and I only waited a couple of days.

No job lined up at the minute, I’ll contact the agencies and see how far I get as soon as I get my Class 2, I’m planning on doing Class 1 shortly after that. I’ll also send off for a digital tach card around the same time. Containers sounds great as a first job. You picking up from the Falkirk place - presumably you could be taking them anywhere? Would be good to hear more about it.

I did look at Scania training as well as GTG although having got a good vibe from CTTS when I was in there my mind was made up.

Cheers
G

Hi pal, when u pass your class 2 contact Blue Arrow agency I dealt with their office in Coates crescent but they have one in Livingston too, they gave me a lot of work with Dalkieth transport (cowboys) also with Palmer & Harvey and Clockwork removals… It isn’t the best work but it gets your feet wet.
I only done 2 weeks work with DT before last Christmas to help through the festive period and I wouldn’t go back! Haha the other 2 companies were good although removals is hard graft lol… They also gave me the opportunity with a full time job at Greggs (class 2)I stuck it out for 10 weeks until I’d had enough and jumped at the containers…

Been there for a few months and its much better not having to hand ball bugger all. Your right its good not knowing where you are off to until you get into the office, most of the time I’m sent up north to Inverness, Aberdeen, Fort William etc but those bloody back roads are a nightmare to drive all day you go home sore lol…
I also do night shifts for Hovis (lol) at the weekend maybe a couple of shuttles into Glasgow then truck to Inverness or Newcastle or a changeover at tebay. Don’t like it too much having to self tip at aldi and Morrisons rdc’s wtf is that about! Lol but is extra money…