Another newbie saying hi

Hi to you all,have been reading the posts on here for a few months now for advice,Top class I thank you…
Now I have decided to take the plunge and retrain for LGV licence,passed my medical with the doc recommended on here from wolverhampton,now waiting for my provisional to come back,then will be booking my theory test and looking for training school.
I have a fair bit of experience with fifth wheel trailers whilst working on farm for 20 yrs so not quite starting from scratch.

Could anyone recommend a training school ?either near worcester or far away.I have been looking at Steve Robertson at exeter as i think i may get on better with a week away from home,any advice most appreciated.
Thanks again for your advice so far

I used Steve Robertson; he comes with my highest recommendation - I passed both C and C+E first time.

As for accomodation, Mrs Lovell on Steve’s accomodation list runs a good B+B - friendly, well-priced and within walking distance of the training centre (although the roads are a bit nasty for walking).

Welcome to trucknet Jackdaw :laughing:

Welcome to trucknet Jackdaw.
Good luck with the training and keep us posted, as you experience will help others.
not sure what would be the best training option, but being away from home might help you focus on the training and if it’s a good outfit then it might be worth considering.

Closer to home I used Eastern in Birmingham and have no complaints whatsoever - George Lovatt also seems to come recommended (again from Birmingham)… …

G

Welcome to TruckNet UK jackdaw
and good luck with the training +
tests :smiley: .

Hi Jackdaw,

I’m in the same boat as you and it’s great to be in touch with similar folks, keep us posted on how you get on!

Many thanks for the welcome lads,much appreciated.I feel i’ve inherited a family…Will keep you posted.

jackdaw:
,much appreciated.I feel i’ve inherited a family… .

you have, it’s the Addams Family :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to TruckNet UK :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Well ,licence came back yesterday and booked theory test for next wednesday morning.Quite scary now!I bought a theory/hp cd whilst i was waiting for my licence to come back and try to revise every night ,has anybody got any advice on how to prepare,please.At he moment the hardest bit for me is driver regs.thanks

Jackdaw,

I’m expecting my licence back early next week (if DVLA pull their finger out)…

Was there much of a wait to take the theory test?

Good luck with it!

no mate,booked on-line put worcester in and had a choice ,one slot weds,one slot thurs, after that it was the following thurs,when i put cheltenham in their was a 2 week wait so if you want it quick look at all centres.just have to pass now.

Phew,Just took my theory test 35/35 and 60 on hpt even had the dreaded “0” on one clip for clicking too much .The HPT was the bit I was dreading but after I had read the link about passing the HPT further down below on main forum,i just did what the driving examiners said and clicked a lot,at least 8/10 per clip.Just waiting for reply now to book up training.Glad that’s over the most nervous I have been for a long time,maybe at 45 I’m too old for this retraining. :unamused: :unamused:

Booked training today with Steve Robertson,starting on May 29th,bank holiday :open_mouth: Here we go :astonished:

congratulations on the theory. Good luck with your training, relax and enjoy it. I wish it done it years ago.

thanks mate,i wish i’d done it years ago to,think i would of coped with nerves a lot better.better late than never.reading all the other lads experiences on this forum helps to ease the nerves as i can see everyone gets affected.
thanks to all of you

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: Failed :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Did my training with Steve robertson last week,very good training school and a cracking week of weather.

Took my test on friday morning at 10.15 ,never been so nervous in my life failed with 9 faults 3 serious :blush:

2 of which were on the gear exercise, mirrored,signalled went through gears perfect,then told to go back down gears forgot to signal and look in mirrors,despite the examiner looking at me profusely i had a complete blank and didnt do it,2 serious Failed :frowning:
Also clipped one lane at second last junction,but examiner did say he would not of failed me for that but did put it down as serious as i had been close 2 other times,and as I’d already failed he wanted to bring it to my attention.
Absolutely stupid mistake i know but it happened I have learned from it and thats it,i can assure myself it won’t happen again.
The only downside i can say after sharing my training with another guy for the week was that as he had the first test at 8.15 i only had 10 mins in lorry before i took mine,nitpicking as i should of known better.

After reading lots of comments on this board I have instructed Steve to put me back in for retest ASAP.
Has anybody any advice on how to control nerves on test as I’m sure i lost a stone in sweat during test…
All in all it has made me a better driver and made me more determined to pass as i loved the driving…

Sorry to hear that, coping with the nerves is almost the hardest part of the test. Short of getting hold of some BetaBlockers I am not sure what else you can do to get around it !!

G

:frowning: feel for you Big time Jackdaw, its an awfull feeling mate I know.

Could not believe how much nerves got to me :open_mouth: all I can say is you’ve had the expierience of the examiner there with you and you’ll know what to expect next time round. ( putting back in for a retest straight away, definatley the right thing to have done ) As you Blue Noses say " Keep right ON…"

I also put in extra hours in my car ( for more awareness of road markings signs ), getting my Dad to act as an examiner giving me instructions ect.

I still had nerves on my 2nd test, But they were no where near as bad as the 1st, Just hope I can keep mine in check next week, I start my C+E Tuesday :smiley:

You know you can drive the Truck and you Will Pass :smiley:

ps keep on to your Driving School for that re-test, when I first put back in for it I was told it could take up to 6 weeks for it :imp: I rang them a couple of times chasing for cancellations etc then emailed them asking politley if they could recommend another Driving School as I had the money for my C+E course burning a hole in my pocket :wink: Certainly did the trick :smiley:

Keep Positive mate, and I look forward to reading your about your Pass

Wills

Advice on nerves?

Bananas for breakfast followed by Kalms. Just make sure that you try taking them some days before. I’ve never heard of any reaction to them but, just to be sure. Even a couple of paracetamol 30 mins before can help. (But perhaps not both :smiley: )

Nerves is all a matter of attitude. When you go into a written examination you neither know what the questions are going to be, and nor do you expect to get a 100% score. You do your best and aim for a pass mark.

Driving is similar. Except that you know all the questions. You’ve practised them. And aiming for a ‘clean sheet’ is folly. What you are seeking to achieve is a Pass Mark, so don’t dwell on mistakes.

From what you’ve posted, I’m assuming that you’ve viewed the ‘Idiot’s Guide’. Go back into it and explore John Farnham’s site deeper. Have a look at Neuro-linguistic Programming, and if it helps you to view the examiner as a Dalek with floppy ears, then do so. :slight_smile:

And on the subject of examiners. Don’t listen to what they say.

LISTEN TO THE BLOODY WORDS THEY USE.

If you get an instruction like, “Take the next available left.” Expect a weight limit on the first left.

If he says, “Further along this road you will see a sign to …where I want you to turn right.” It is probably a clue to start thinking about changing lanes.

It’s not the instruction that is important. It is the wording of the instruction that you need to listen to.

Remember. Examiners are not there to fail you. You fail yourself, which, I think you have already acknowledged.

And on the ‘set piece’ exercises remember. It is not a race. Take a few moments to ‘get your head in gear’. It can make all the difference.

Even myself, after something like a 3 hour drive. I wouldn’t even contemplate immediately doing a trailer swap. I’d pour a drink. I’d transfer the number plate. I’d wander about checking for damage. It might only be for a minute or two, but I’d psychologically change modes. And on a test, everyone needs to do the same.