Hello from a newbie from Glasgow

So as the subject says … Hello lol after a time lurking in the background reading the vast amounts of new and old posts I thought I would break my duck and put my first post up and give you a bit of background. Currently I work and have worked within the NHS for the past 10 years. I do a job that I like but have always liked the idea of driving hgv’s. Up until recently its only ever been an idea due to family commitments and not alot of disposable income. That all changed a couple of weeks ago after looking at our incomings and outgoings we decided that the time would be right. So I have my medical booked for a few weeks time, got the theory test book and disc and just downloaded an app on my tablet as well. So every spare minute I have its revising for the theory. I am in a good position to get to the local training companies from where I stay. I am fortunate enough to have a family member who’s company works closely with a major haulage company who would be willing to give me the training. Nothing ventured nothing gained is my thought. So looking to get a bit of knowledge on here and hope I get through my theory and hazard perception to start my long journey in my new career. Cheers Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

First little bit of advice is to visit the training company and satisfy yourself that they are what you want. There are massive differences between trainers so it’s worth looking round. Avoid responding to adverts that mention 30, 40 or more locations. Also the mention of earning £30k and there being a great driver shortage. These people are brokers and should be avoided at all costs.

Don’t part with any money until you’ve visited the trainer and made sure you’re happy. The only exception to this is booking on rock solid recommendation.

Any issues, ask away.

Good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

All the best in your new venture , as Pete says visit the training companies near you to get a feel of things , check out their facilities , and stay away from brokers , try Jim Mairs of Kilmarnock as I did my training their , passed my c in August and then my c+e in November, but shop around check them all out , also recommended trainers are listed on here , let the journey begin, all the best and good luck regards Tom

Thanks for the replys, my nearest trainer is gtg which is 5 minutes from my house. I have been offered training from a well known haulage and tipper company for just over £800. My thinking is if I go with them and I am successful there could be a job at the end of the training. I have been told that by my uncle who’s company does a lot of work for them, I have been looking about at other training providers and they all seem good and I know to stay away from the brokers who tell you that they have traing all over britain lol so looking forward to getting past the medical and theory to get the ball rolling

Cheers Paul

NPABU:
Thanks for the replys, my nearest trainer is gtg which is 5 minutes from my house. I have been offered training from a well known haulage and tipper company for just over £800. My thinking is if I go with them and I am successful there could be a job at the end of the training. I have been told that by my uncle who’s company does a lot of work for them, I have been looking about at other training providers and they all seem good and I know to stay away from the brokers who tell you that they have traing all over britain lol so looking forward to getting past the medical and theory to get the ball rolling

Cheers Paul

Looks like your well sorted Paul , and remember it’s not a race take your time and you’ll be fine ,keep us posted and do a wee diary if you can a lot of people on here like to read a training diary , good luck regards Tom .

I trained with GTG it was a long time ago (20+ years) so things may have changed but I found them to be a good lot when I was there

I used gtg a few years ago and they were great I passed both parts in 5 days