m a n trucks

How do you check the oil and water on the man tga trucks. i have been told they are checked on the dash!!!

Depends as there are several different models of MAN TGA.

The TGA LE’s there is a dip stick and filler cap on the nearside rear of the cab. I think you have to tip the cab to check the coolant. Screen wash is on the drivers step.

Just above the brake and throttle pedals,there is a small pull type lever on the dashboard at about knee height.

Pull that,and in the centre of the grill,behind it,is a push up catch.Push that,open the grill,and the water and oil can be checked therein.

Screenwash is to the extreme left,as you look under the grill.

Ken.

I have a question welshlad, where
is the operating instructions manual
for the vehicle, if its not there how
about asking your employer to get
one organised,as this will help
know how to do your job the
correct way and also prevent
stuipid accidents happening,
I suppose that i am spolit as
all of our vehicles have such a book
so that if you have not driven the vehicle
before and there is no one around
to show you,you can read the book
and follow the guldes given.

Quinny:
Just above the brake and throttle pedals,there is a small pull type lever on the dashboard at about knee height.

Pull that,and in the centre of the grill,behind it,is a push up catch.Push that,open the grill,and the water and oil can be checked therein.

Ken.

the oil cant be checked here, it can be filled only.
The TGA has a dip stick that you can access by tilting the cab only, oil level and other info can be checked on the dash.

2 buttons under speedo on right hand side of panel… hold the left 1 down for a few seconds until the display comes up, just choose which you want to check and then hit the right button to do so,

To check the oil on the computer:

There are 2 small “slide and hold” style switches below the clocks, on the right side (under the speedo or rev counter, whichever is on the right!). (There are also 2 similar switches on the left, but they are to change between clock and thermometer, and brightness of the display, so ignore them for this).

Press and hold the left of these 2 switches for about 5 secs, dash display will show a list of choices of info… One of them is “engine info”. Use the left switch again to go up or down the list until you have highlighted engine info. Then press the right switch to go into the engine info menu. One of the choices is then “oil level”. Again using left switch, go up or down list until oil level is highlighted and then press right switch. A bar will appear on display showing oil level…

Sounds complicated, but its not really. Basically the left switch gets you into the computer, then left switch is also used to go up and down the menu. Right switch is to go into the highlighted info…

PS Oil level can only be checked when truck is stopped.

Al.

thanks lads , at least i now have some idea where to look. got an agency job on monday which has a man truck. appreciate your answers.
welshlad

Also worth noting the oil level will show low levels when the engine is still warm so if possible best to check the computer levels when the engine is cold other wise you risk over filling it and the engine won’t like it .
But hey it’s not an ideal world and in my job the seat has barely cooled down before someone else is in it .
Vehicles fitted with Computer only oil checks are a risky buisness if you ask me .

Ken.
[/quote]

the oil cant be checked here, it can be filled only.
The TGA has a dip stick that you can access by tilting the cab only, oil level and other info can be checked on the dash.

2 buttons under speedo on right hand side of panel… hold the left 1 down for a few seconds until the display comes up, just choose which you want to check and then hit the right button to do so,
[/quote]

Disagree. I have driven MAN’s for Tesco and they have a dipstick under the grill. I was told a the time that Tesco asked for the dipstick as they didn’t trust the computer and the driver had to visually check the oil level.

I have also driven ERF’s (MAN with another badge) where the dipstick was under the grill.

Stock man tga’s dont have dipsticks . I drove one for 2 yrs on a permanent basis and then changed jobs into a company that also used them and they also didn’t have dipsticks .
Probably an option that the buyer can ask and pay for .

alcraw62:
PS. Oil level can only be checked when truck is stopped.

:laughing: :unamused: No [zb], Sherlock.

Disagree. I have driven MAN’s for Tesco and they have a dipstick under the grill. I was told a the time that Tesco asked for the dipstick as they didn’t trust the computer and the driver had to visually check the oil level.

Any company can pay MAN to have a dip-stick added to their trucks if they don’t want to rely on the computer.Also do not fill the oil up so as it is at the max level, between half and 3/4’s is ok.This will allow breathing space for your engine.top up as and when required… :wink: :wink:

kitkat:
Any company can pay MAN to have a dip-stick added to their trucks if they don’t want to rely on the computer.

I understand that DHL pay for at least one dipstick to be added to their trucks on a daily basis…

Rob K:

kitkat:
Any company can pay MAN to have a dip-stick added to their trucks if they don’t want to rely on the computer.

I understand that DHL pay for at least one dipstick to be added to their trucks on a daily basis…

When did you start with DHL Rob. :laughing:

Rob K:

kitkat:

I was only in there four days this week Rob. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Rob K:

alcraw62:

OK smart ■■■, maybe I should have been clearer. The oil can only be checked when the truck is NOT MOVING. The point I was trying to make is that on the MAN TGA with the computer, you CAN check the oil level while the engine is running, unlike a dipstick, obviously. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

At the end of the day i wouldn’t trust the computer anyway , quite simply because any MAN TGA is a GREAT BIG POS .

alcraw62:

Rob K:

alcraw62:

OK smart ■■■, maybe I should have been clearer. The oil can only be checked when the truck is NOT MOVING. The point I was trying to make is that on the MAN TGA with the computer, you CAN check the oil level while the engine is running, unlike a dipstick, obviously. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I think you better check next time your in your truck Alcraw,coz i can’t check mine with engine running. :wink: :confused:

My guess is there is an Oil level check as well as an oil pressure check.

What i dont like is the one Merc use, where it just say’s ‘ok’ it could mean ok as in minimum or ok as in max. Minimum isnt good!

With the Volvo version, you can’t get a reading of the oil level unless the engine has been stopped for a certain period, I think it’s 30 minutes.