Checking OIL

Daft question, but id rather ask than blow an engine up. I have been offered a start at long last on a C+E next week and i realised although ive been shown how to do daily checks I actually wasnt shown how to check the oil on an LGV.

So question is where is the bonnet release and where is the dipstick (and not the one typing the question)

Cheers

What make of truck?

If it is on a modern unit check oil thru computer on dash

wot Lorry

geoffwales:
Daft question, but id rather ask than blow an engine up. I have been offered a start at long last on a C+E next week and i realised although ive been shown how to do daily checks I actually wasnt shown how to check the oil on an LGV.

So question is where is the bonnet release and where is the dipstick (and not the one typing the question)

Cheers

Could be anywhere. Mine is behind the cab, some are under the front grille, some you need to tilt the cab to dip the oil.

Scania still have a proper dipstick not as any bugger can be bothered to check it, not sure about current Volvos but near enough everything else has no easily accessed dipstick but instead has a a silly little electronic reading on the 'puter.

Last Iveco Stralis boneshaker i drove had an electronic dipstick and in a brilliant piece of design the cab had to be tilted to put oil in… :open_mouth: :unamused: plus it typically drunk the stuff so the cab was up and down like a bride’s nightie.

wee gordy:

If it’s on a Renault, don’t waste your time looking for the dipstick; it has got one but you can’t access it without tilting the cab. Same I think for Volvos now.

If in doubt, ask. There’s absolutely no shame in it, and if I was your gaffer I’d be more impressed that you took the trouble to do the job properly.

By the way; it’s worth remembering on checking the coolant level that you don’t just add water these days. It’s often a properly mixed coolant and in some cases adding plain water does more harm than good. Again, ask.

Do those checks after you’ve put your card in but before driving off; and allow at least ten minutes on the clock for them minimum. You then have proof that you’ve spent time doing them.

One other thing; find out what your firm’s policy is on changing bulbs. Some inisist that it’s done by a fitter, others expect the driver to do those that he can. If the latter get spare bulbs and the right screwdriver and keep 'em with you.

Sidevalve:

wee gordy:

If it’s on a Renault, don’t waste your time looking for the dipstick; it has got one but you can’t access it without tilting the cab. Same I think for Volvos now.

If in doubt, ask. There’s absolutely no shame in it, and if I was your gaffer I’d be more impressed that you took the trouble to do the job properly.

By the way; it’s worth remembering on checking the coolant level that you don’t just add water these days. It’s often a properly mixed coolant and in some cases adding plain water does more harm than good. Again, ask.

Do those checks after you’ve put your card in but before driving off; and allow at least ten minutes on the clock for them minimum. You then have proof that you’ve spent time doing them.

One other thing; find out what your firm’s policy is on changing bulbs. Some inisist that it’s done by a fitter, others expect the driver to do those that he can. If the latter get spare bulbs and the right screwdriver and keep 'em with you.

Brilliant do I put tachograph on poa or working

volvo dipstick is still easily accessible behind front grille

Working.

Simple wait until you know what make it is,and if you still have no idea use what you was born with, put it in gear and ASK, better to ask than pretend you know
No shame in asking to get it right the first time,mistakes can be costly

geoffwales:
Brilliant do I put tachograph on poa or working

Working. Cos that’s what you’re doing. Avoid POA like the plague till you’ve got to grips with the basics; and don’t forget your limits for both WTD and driving hours!

geoffwales:
id rather ask than blow an engine up. I

Takes a lot to blow a truck engine up apparently, a Scania mechanic once told me there’s still plenty oil in even though nothing shows on the dipstick.

Pimpdaddy:

geoffwales:
id rather ask than blow an engine up. I

Takes a lot to blow a truck engine up apparently, a Scania mechanic once told me there’s still plenty oil in even though nothing shows on the dipstick.

Perhaps; but it’s a theory best left untested!

Sidevalve:
Perhaps; but it’s a theory best left untested!

Not my truck, if I’ve reported it then the ball is in their court :slight_smile:

Juddian:
Scania still have a proper dipstick not as any bugger can be bothered to check it.

Havin a wibble? :wink:

My VAN has both a computer and a well hidden dipstick, that’s very fiddly and located about 4-6 inches below the filler cap.
(Cheers MAN!)

So there! :stuck_out_tongue:

You miserable old bugger! :laughing:

^^^ less of the old you cheeky young bleeder :smiling_imp: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

Pet hate of mine steering wheel attendees that can’t arsed to even check the oil before they fire up :unamused:

Cheers everyone, just didn’t want to look a ■■■ on the day, fingers crossed I’ve been offered a bit of trunking

Juddian:
Scania still have a proper dipstick not as any bugger can be bothered to check it,…

Bonnet release is on the drivers side door pillar (you have to have the door open) at just about cab floor level and the dipstick is on the near side lower corner of the space now visible, filler cap in the same area.

Guess I’m not “any bugger”. :laughing: :laughing:

Juddian:
Pet hate of mine

How many pets have you got? :open_mouth:
You running a zoo? :laughing: