Checking OIL

Wiretwister:

Juddian:
Scania still have a proper dipstick not as any bugger can be bothered to check it,…

Bonnet release is on the drivers side door pillar (you have to have the door open) at just about cab floor level and the dipstick is on the near side lower corner of the space now visible, filler cap in the same area.

Guess I’m not “any bugger”. :laughing: :laughing:

No, any bugger works at my place, he has several brothers one of who can’t even be arsed to press the buttons on the dash to get a reading…their cousins, silly buggers, worked at my last place… :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve drove DAFs for the last ten years,first ones had a dipstick under front flap,then an 03 plate you could check on dash before setting off,now a 58 plate you have to run for about 30 minutes then stop for 5 minutes before you can get a reading on dash or jack cab up to get to dipstick now that’s progress

I used to check the oil religiously on old motors but now dont bother. Computer will show a warning im sure if it gets too low, in which case ill ignore it.

Although after reading this thread ive had a look for the dipstick but cant find it so have concluded there aint one. Found where to put the screenwash in though, ill get round to topping it up next year or let the agency chap have a bash.

All this talk of fluids and dipsticks yet Dipper Dave fails to make any ■■■■■■ innuendos? :open_mouth:

You’re slipping mate.

Can your missus find your dipstick Dave? …or is it well hidden like the one on your lorry? :laughing:

OMG your right, it must be the time of year… defo slipping.
Anyway I must confess my wife does have to bring little dipper out of hiding from time to time as he is very shy. I was once taught how to retract my ■■■■■ into my scrotum, unfortunately I wasnt taught how to get it out again.

geoffwales:
Brilliant do I put tachograph on poa or working

Seriously? Do you not know the answer to that?

Uncleskid:
I’ve drove DAFs for the last ten years,first ones had a dipstick under front flap,then an 03 plate you could check on dash before setting off,now a 58 plate you have to run for about 30 minutes then stop for 5 minutes before you can get a reading on dash or jack cab up to get to dipstick now that’s progress

No you don’t. You check it on the dash the same as the the previous generation and the newer generation to yours. If you run for 30 minutes it won’t give you a reading for 5 minutes until the oil drains off the sensor. There is no need to run it before taking a reading.

Sidevalve:

Pimpdaddy:

geoffwales:
id rather ask than blow an engine up. I

Takes a lot to blow a truck engine up apparently, a Scania mechanic once told me there’s still plenty oil in even though nothing shows on the dipstick.

I once had to put 24 litres into a MAN truck to get it to even show on the dipstick… it hadn’t been checked for weeks or even months …
and the fitters assured me that they hold about 36 at the correct level… so that’s alright then…

Conor:

Uncleskid:

No you don’t. You check it on the dash the same as the the previous generation and the newer generation to yours. If you run for 30 minutes it won’t give you a reading for 5 minutes until the oil drains off the sensor. There is no need to run it before taking a reading.

Sorry conor ,but uncleskid is correct …On Euro 3 vehicles,the oil level was done through the VIC ecu, after ignition off after a wait of 5 mins you would get a reading on the DIP screen ( was actually 45 mins when Euro 3 first came out )

For Euro 4 & 5 it changed and it was done through the engine DMCI ecu…for some strange reason before you get a reading the engine oil has to be at a min temp of 40 degrees and after switch off you have 30 mins ,if it is at 60 degrees it is a 15 min wait ,and last but not least if at 80 degrees it is a 8 min wait …So you won’t get a reading first thing in the morning on a cold engine

Reason being that the sensor is resistance based and them temp of the oil has an effect on the sensor ,that is how it works very basically

Juddian:
Scania still have a proper dipstick not as any bugger can be bothered to check it, not sure about current Volvos but near enough everything else has no easily accessed dipstick but instead has a a silly little electronic reading on the 'puter.

Last Iveco Stralis boneshaker i drove had an electronic dipstick and in a brilliant piece of design the cab had to be tilted to put oil in… :open_mouth: :unamused: plus it typically drunk the stuff so the cab was up and down like a bride’s nightie.

And the Iveco gauges bear very little resemblance to what’s in the sump

PaulNowak:

Juddian:
Scania still have a proper dipstick not as any bugger can be bothered to check it, not sure about current Volvos but near enough everything else has no easily accessed dipstick but instead has a a silly little electronic reading on the 'puter.

Last Iveco Stralis boneshaker i drove had an electronic dipstick and in a brilliant piece of design the cab had to be tilted to put oil in… :open_mouth: :unamused: plus it typically drunk the stuff so the cab was up and down like a bride’s nightie.

And the Iveco gauges bear very little resemblance to what’s in the sump

Yep , one 04 euro cargo 7.5t I used was showing low oil on dash but when you checked dip stick it was ok

Check my oil off the dipstick at the start of the working week and then go off the digital dash reading the rest of the week.

malcob:
volvo dipstick is still easily accessible behind front grille

But much cleaner to check on dash reading.

Sidevalve:

wee gordy:
If it is on a modern unit check oil thru computer on dash

If it’s on a Renault, don’t waste your time looking for the dipstick; it has got one but you can’t access it without tilting the cab. Same I think for Volvos now.

If in doubt, ask. There’s absolutely no shame in it, and if I was your gaffer I’d be more impressed that you took the trouble to do the job properly.

By the way; it’s worth remembering on checking the coolant level that you don’t just add water these days. It’s often a properly mixed coolant and in some cases adding plain water does more harm than good. Again, ask.

Do those checks after you’ve put your card in but before driving off; and allow at least ten minutes on the clock for them minimum. You then have proof that you’ve spent time doing them.

One other thing; find out what your firm’s policy is on changing bulbs. Some inisist that it’s done by a fitter, others expect the driver to do those that he can. If the latter get spare bulbs and the right screwdriver and keep 'em with you.

Sadly for humanity, common sense and professionalism of our profession some driving instructors of some of training schools recommended on this forum think differently and insist on water…

P.S. No, Sir … , not you this time :wink:

norb:

Conor:

Uncleskid:

Sorry conor ,but uncleskid is correct …On Euro 3 vehicles,the oil level was done through the VIC ecu, after ignition off after a wait of 5 mins you would get a reading on the DIP screen ( was actually 45 mins when Euro 3 first came out )

For Euro 4 & 5 it changed and it was done through the engine DMCI ecu…for some strange reason before you get a reading the engine oil has to be at a min temp of 40 degrees and after switch off you have 30 mins ,if it is at 60 degrees it is a 15 min wait ,and last but not least if at 80 degrees it is a 8 min wait …So you won’t get a reading first thing in the morning on a cold engine

Reason being that the sensor is resistance based and them temp of the oil has an effect on the sensor ,that is how it works very basically

Crikey; talk about a solution for a non-existent problem!

Methinks in this case the dipstick was the designer!

^^^ that old fashioned wire dipstick showing the actual oil level and where a person interested could actually see the oil, oh dear that system is far too complicated, i know we’ll simplify it by having the operator of the day run the engine up for exactly 6.1783562 minutes to a temperature of 83.338474 'C and then exactly 5.27394636 minutes later give or take a generous 1.383675489 seconds leeway either way the operator will be able to take a reading, then submit it to NASA online for analysis.

There’s nothing like progress, apparently.

The dipstick on my old 51 plate Scania is very difficult to read, in fact I only get
a satisfactory reading on a Monday morning after it’s been stood all weekend.
Furthermore, I’m always impressed if a mechanic spots a new face and can be arsed
coming out and making sure he knows how to check the oil, water and screenwash and
where it’s all kept in the garage.

Juddian:
^^^ that old fashioned wire dipstick showing the actual oil level and where a person interested could actually see the oil, oh dear that system is far too complicated, i know we’ll simplify it by having the operator of the day run the engine up for exactly 6.1783562 minutes to a temperature of 83.338474 'C and then exactly 5.27394636 minutes later give or take a generous 1.383675489 seconds leeway either way the operator will be able to take a reading, then submit it to NASA online for analysis.

There’s nothing like progress, apparently.

:laughing:

I read of so many of you drivers complaining how unreliable the Stralis is. Strangely I ran Ivecos for 25 years and apart from 3 turbos, 2 pistons , 1 clutch & 1 head gasket I didn’t have any reliability problems.
Yes, of course we had the occasional warning lamp come on. Having said that I gave owners & driven Scanias, now they were a load of engine trouble, a V8 blowing up at 50000 kms. An MAN engine blow @ 4020000kms, yet nobody seems to complain about those make. An Iveco is excellent value for money. However, if you really are a poser drive a Scania, Daf or Volvo