Man tga oil cooler

I’ve had an oil cooler fail on a euro 4 tga oil is everywhere has any one else had this happen and what problems have occurred after the clean up its got oil where waters supposed to be on the inside oil and everywhere on the outside .

I’ve changed failed oil coolers on plant machinery, but never a wagon.

I used an engine flush to clean the oil side of the engine, refilled to oil, and changed it again about 25 hours later. For the water side, I filled the system and ran the engine until it had been at full temp for a few minutes, before draining the coolant out of a bottom hose. I repeated this process, until there was no trace of oil in the water. Then refilled with the usual antifreeze / water mix.

Took a while, but I was confide all contaminant was removed from both circuits.

The oil has got into everything including the engine loom I’ve heard it can fry electrics shorting them out and perish hoses and belts just wondering if this has happened to anyone think I will do that and change the oil a few times.

Giving all soaked electrics a wash with electrical or brake cleaner wouldn’t be a bad idea. Although I just moped everything up, as well as I could.

Speaking from the DAF point of view ( get out clause lol ) when we have an oil cooler go ,DAF do a rad cleaner flush ,which seems to work …Though to help when I have everything stripped down ie water pump off etc I do blast the steamcleaner down the water channels to clear as much of the gunge out as possible before reassembly and using the cleaner…100% success rate so far …Though it has been a few years since I have had one :smiley:

The best thing I did was get rid of my 480tga I had the engine rebuilt then a week later the oil cooler went . Been Volvo since

Dropped the sump plug and couple of litres of water fell out .so far after putting fresh oil on it its not trashed the engine thank god .

On the coolant side use dishwasher liquid mixed with water and repeat after a couple of days.

I would be careful if you have run with water in the oil. At least check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge or better still drop the oil pan and pull a couple of bearings. Had a D20 seize the crank after the EGR cooler let water into the oil and I couldn’t even tell that the oil had water in it.

Good luck

Pursy

I use washing up liquid it’s got to be some sort of detergent to really shift the oil. Even with a few flushes you will get bubbles in the header tank but has never cause a problem.

I had a gearbox oil cooler go, did the flush etc and all was fine for a while, then it started blowing coolant hoses for fun. Apparently oil weakens them, we ended up swapping all the hoses in the end. If I had another cooler ■■■■ itself I would do the coolant system flush and then replace any rubber hoses asap.