Lorry or Truck

Which term do you prefer? I’m not sure. I think I use ‘lorry’ more often these days, probably because I’m non-conformist and like to buck trends. Wagon is another option up here (Mancunia) of course.
In the eighties, when under the influence of America I reverted to being a ‘truck driver’ but now, well I like to use the old fashioned alternative - too much is changing. ‘Lorry’ comes from the old English verb meaning ‘to pull’ which seems apt in a transportational sense anyway. I can’t see the modern vernacular meaning of ‘pulling’ being much enhanced by an old Atki Borderer , with a sleeping pod pop-rivetted to the back of the cab, or a Scammell with a plank across the engine lump for a bed.

Still, you never know. It takes all sorts.

WHO CARES

articfox Haulier is French. It comes from the time it was cheaper to have teams of men pulling the barges along the canals than paying for horses… :smiley:

And the Americans describe their engines as pushers.

I use the phrase truck driver or trucker as little as possible i prefer to be called a lorry driver.

Does anyone know the Polish name for an L.G.V. driver?, i think we have to use that soon so as not to upset the immigrant drivers.

jessicas dad:
WHO CARES

Well ArcticFox does obviously, otherwise he wouldn’t have asked…

lorry driver

trucks are wot they use down pit to put coal in

pit = place where people used to work
coal = black stuff underground waiting to be dug up in future

hitch // The TruckNet® UK Drivers RoundTable
Britain’s Biggest and Brightest forums for the Professional Driver ? So this is a site for coalminers ? :smiley:

hitch:
lorry driver

trucks are wot they use down pit to put coal in

pit = place where people used to work
coal = black stuff underground waiting to be dug up in future

Hitch: you’re spot on about the coal. I’m thinking of investing a few grand in UK Coal shares. They will go down there for it again eventually. Sooner rather than later.

As for Jessica’s Dad: You’re rather dismissive reaction was like water off a ducks back mush . Though isn’t this a forum on which to chat? Introduce new ideas and talking points? Challenge opinions etc. If you don’t like the topic why bother responding. Or are you just a one liner kind of guy?

If the statement you really want to make with your choice of moniker is that you have magaged to father a female child then fair enough. It’s an odd choice , but at least you chose a nice name for your daughter…

fox

Lorry……?
Truck…….?
Neither I drive a ERF/ECT it’s a pile of [zb]
:cry:

If it needs stars to get past the auto censor it’s not allowed…Denis F

Gat:
Lorry……?
Truck…….?

I had a ‘P’ reg (97) EC10. It was okay. The first to ride on air at the front. A six wheeler, kitted out to pull a close coupled tandem axle draw-bar trailer.

That Eaton pre-select gearbox took some getting used to but it was worth it.

fox

quote edited…Denis F

wagon .

articfox:
Which term do you prefer? I’m not sure. I think I use ‘lorry’ more often these days, probably because I’m non-conformist and like to buck trends. Wagon is another option up here (Mancunia) of course.
In the eighties, when under the influence of America I reverted to being a ‘truck driver’ but now, well I like to use the old fashioned alternative - too much is changing. ‘Lorry’ comes from the old English verb meaning ‘to pull’ which seems apt in a transportational sense anyway. I can’t see the modern vernacular meaning of ‘pulling’ being much enhanced by an old Atki Borderer , with a sleeping pod pop-rivetted to the back of the cab, or a Scammell with a plank across the engine lump for a bed.

Still, you never know. It takes all sorts.

It’s a lorry, a motor or a wagon, for sure! I spend all day telling shipping line staff that we have lorries and trailers, not trucks and chassis! Of course, I wind them up in return by referring to their “boats” - they hate it!

If you’re from an old Lancashire mill town, you might even refer to your motor as “my machine”.

Gat:
Lorry……?
Truck…….?

If it needs stars to get past the auto censor it’s not allowed…Denis F

WHAT■■? ungrateful sod. i cant get one of them for love nor money. i miss my old ECT :cry:

the only thing im getting up there is a CF or FM :imp:

Wagon :wink:

camion

bil.

Kraftfahrzeuge

LKW

Poids Lourd :stuck_out_tongue:

or in my case.

CAR, as in special Car :smiley: