Lorry or truck

When I started driving and people asked me what did I do for a living I said I was a lorry driver. And when I went to Europe I said I was a long distance lorry driver. I was a teacher as well and worked as a lorry driver during all the holidays but I was never a truck driver at least I never called myself that.

These days it is truck drivers that people call themselves Is this another americanism that has invaded our language like Have a good day or the one that really gets my goat is the fingers in the air doing their inverted commas they just like ■■■■■ doing that Another one that enrages me is at this moment in time ■■■■ me I want to punch lights out when someone says that for something they talk about. 24/7 is another one that gets up my nose. I need to touch base my god that one is a hanging offence they are stark staring mad they think they are playing baseball.Up to speed what ■■■■■■■ speed are they wanting to get up to a total nosensical phrase But what really is a very serious invasion was how they slipped in the word truck and stole our lorries changed them slyly into trucks. In NZ a truck is not a lorry but a ute one of those ugly things whereas a lorry is a majestic lady with lovely lines a real thing of beauty.

So laddies how many of you are lorry drivers or are you truck drivers. Lorry is a beautiful word just say it aloud and then say truck sure it doesn’t sound as poetic as lorry. I have no truck with this american invasion of our language see there is another definition of truck Lorry drivers were the knights of the road and truck drivers are certainly not recognised as such Changing the lorry into a truck was the beginning of the end of respect. I met an old comrade from the days when on a Sunday night we would hit Larne with our lorries and get off at Stranraer I asked him was he still driving he said I was born a lorry driver and I will die a lorry driver I said are you not a truck driver he said men drive lorries girl and fannies drive trucks. This had got me thinking and I guess he just might be right

Yes this is the silly season at least for me the weather is glorious and I may just have sunstroke hence this post but please do respond with your ever witty replies

Well, where I live, we are truck drivers but I drive a semi, I use to be a lorry driver.

well im in my rig at moment but way back when itook pride in saying im a continental driver lol but that was b4 1992 when any muppet could jump in :smiley:

I still say I’m a Lorry driver, maybe it’s an age thing. :blush:

steviebyday:
I still say I’m a Lorry driver, maybe it’s an age thing. :blush:

The term truck is a more relevant description and is more widely accepted internationally than lorry in numerous different types of applications.Which probably explains why we had Truck magazine not Lorry magazine at least in the 1970’s and the site isn’t called LorryNet. :bulb: :wink:

I hope to God that you weren’t an English teacher.

volvo2:
So I said are you not a truck driver he said men drive lorries girl and fannies drive trucks. This had got me thinking and I guess he just might be right

Oh dear, for the last 28 years I’ve called myself a lorry driver, amongst other things, but I guess if I adhere to your friends definition I’ll have to change that now to truck driver!

Shame really, it’s going to get confusing now as my partner says he drives a truck, and he drives a Ford Ranger pick up truck.

Think you’ve maybe got too much time on your hands bud (sorry…friend) maybe you ought to get out more. :bulb: :smiley:

Maybe it’s a Hull thing, but I’m a wagon driver!!
What really grips my ■■■■ though is the change from HGV to LGV. I mean, why?

LORRY IS the weak-chinned word we use in Britain: looks like “worry”, sounds like “sorry”. Size does not mitigate - on the contrary, the bigger the worse: “heavy lorry”, we sniff, as in “heavy cold”. The proper word, of course, is an emphatic riposte, a defiant clenching of teeth, sounds like something else altogether. So let’s get it said straight away, in all its Anglo-Saxon uncouthness: TRUCK!

“A Thousand Miles from Nowhere”

The word truck originates from truc, which was the meaning for a round stone shape wheel in South America, strange but true.
Police up north all say move your wagon to me.

I drive a lorry (as in unit and trailer) but truck is a slang term I use. Always say unit when I’m talking in an official capacity at work. Wagons go behind horses, and rigs are what the extras from convoy drove imo

Harry Monk:

LORRY IS the weak-chinned word we use in Britain: looks like “worry”, sounds like “sorry”. Size does not mitigate - on the contrary, the bigger the worse: “heavy lorry”, we sniff, as in “heavy cold”. The proper word, of course, is an emphatic riposte, a defiant clenching of teeth, sounds like something else altogether. So let’s get it said straight away, in all its Anglo-Saxon uncouthness: TRUCK!

“A Thousand Miles from Nowhere”

youtube.com/watch?v=lNId6M4SSNk

Wagon; as in ‘my wagon’. Lorry otherwise. A Truck is a pick-up truck - what the Ozzies call a Ute. Or otherwise in this country a Chelsea Truck.

If ‘truck’ is an Americanism then why do both of Britain’s drivers’ magazines have ‘truck’ in the name? Nobody’s ever complained about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captain Caveman 76:
What really grips my [zb] though is the change from HGV to LGV. I mean, why?

+1 wagon driver here

Captain Caveman 76:
What really grips my [zb] though is the change from HGV to LGV. I mean, why?

'Cos change is good :smiley: , 'cos change means progress :smiley: , even though it turns into a pile of ■■■ :imp:

happysack:
I hope to God that you weren’t an English teacher.

+1. Games teacher?

I don’t see problem with the language, actually I think is normal, because US is the big brother now, UK or British empire was back in the day, may be some people cant swallow the reality.
truck, lorry, semi, 18 wheeler, combination vehicle, tractor and trailer, big rig etc. what is the fuzz, that someone ego will be hurt :unamused:
In the same time many drivers on here with class 1 are using derogatory speech to their class 2 mates, calling cat. C van drivers.
People use all kind of word, for example in my home country no one say truck, lorry or any other word, today everyone calls class 1 and 2 a TIR, even though wrong, is the common word.
So what is the big deal? Because British English has some American words in it? Then stop eating McDonalds, drive Ford and watch Hollywood movies, yes movies not films :grimacing: :grimacing:

Wagon driver.

Wagons roll :smiley:

Dolph:
I don’t see problem with the language, actually I think is normal, because US is the big brother now, UK or British empire was back in the day, may be some people cant swallow the reality.
truck, lorry, semi, 18 wheeler, combination vehicle, tractor and trailer, big rig etc. what is the fuzz, that someone ego will be hurt :unamused:
In the same time many drivers on here with class 1 are using derogatory speech to their class 2 mates, calling cat. C van drivers.
People use all kind of word, for example in my home country no one say truck, lorry or any other word, today everyone calls class 1 and 2 a TIR, even though wrong, is the common word.
So what is the big deal? Because British English has some American words in it? Then stop eating McDonalds, drive Ford and watch Hollywood movies, yes movies not films :grimacing: :grimacing:

I have travelled all over the world and the USA is most definitely a 3rd world country, no way it is big brother, it is the UK that is the leader in surveillance tech.

As for description of the vehicle, who cares? Really? :confused: