Lorry or truck

Well I am a lorry driver but occasionally I use the term “trucker” but it depends who I’m talking to and it just tends to roll off my tongue. Mind you, I refer to my fellow drivers as colleagues or drives, rather than “comrade” as I’m not quite a Ruskie!

Interestingly, why the forum is not named “lorrynetuk” :laughing:

Dunno bowt you lot but I’m a multi drop logistics expert

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wagon driver, could be a North West/North thing. “Motors” is another one that gets used occasionally. Lorry or Truck I never use, but each to their own.

OVLOV JAY:
I drive a lorry (as in unit and trailer) but truck is a slang term I use. Always say unit when I’m talking in an official capacity at work. Wagons go behind horses, and rigs are what the extras from convoy drove imo

The correct term is Tractor/Tractive Unit and only applies to artics which go with semi trailers not trailers.In which case tractor/semi outfit would be more recognisable to Americans at least than truck in that case just like artic is here. While a truck and trailer is recognised everywhere,at least in the English speaking world,as a drawbar outfit. :wink: :laughing:

Scraggy88:
Well I am a lorry driver but occasionally I use the term “trucker” but it depends who I’m talking to and it just tends to roll off my tongue. Mind you, I refer to my fellow drivers as colleagues or drives, rather than “comrade” as I’m not quite a Ruskie!

In terms of conversation within the job driver is the universal description in the English speaking world because we all know it’s referring to driving a …truck of whatever type. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

LORRY IS the weak-chinned word we use in Britain: looks like “worry”, sounds like “sorry”. Size does not mitigate - on the contrary, the bigger the worse: “heavy lorry”, we sniff, as in “heavy cold”. The proper word, of course, is an emphatic riposte, a defiant clenching of teeth, sounds like something else altogether. So let’s get it said straight away, in all its Anglo-Saxon uncouthness: TRUCK!

“A Thousand Miles from Nowhere”

+1 :smiley:

Lorry, truck, wagon, motor, rig, semi and vehicle; I tend to use them all on a rota system, especially when writing. But the one that cracks me up is vehicle . Here in the southern States, it is two words: Via-Hickle.

im a lorry man, but in the past it has been “that F$$$ing thing”.

I think it is time for a more sophisticated name for a lgv one that conjures up an air of superiority befitting a driver with lots of certificates ect gained from a wealth of experience and expertise and professionalism .

Carryfast:

OVLOV JAY:
I drive a lorry (as in unit and trailer) but truck is a slang term I use. Always say unit when I’m talking in an official capacity at work. Wagons go behind horses, and rigs are what the extras from convoy drove imo

The correct term is Tractor/Tractive Unit and only applies to artics which go with semi trailers not trailers.In which case tractor/semi outfit would be more recognisable to Americans at least than truck in that case just like artic is here. While a truck and trailer is recognised everywhere,at least in the English speaking world,as a drawbar outfit. :wink: :laughing:

I thought they were ‘heavy locomotives’. At least that’s what it said on my first licence.

I’m a Lorryist.

Santa:
I thought they were ‘heavy locomotives’. At least that’s what it said on my first licence.

Probably a title originally referring to and derived more from this.

l7.alamy.com/zooms/e902c17931184 … dba9gk.jpg

Than this.

s8.postimg.org/405d6e5px/IMG_0908_001.jpg

Or this

greenways.co.uk/uploads/Greenway … 0truck.jpg

:bulb: :wink: :smiley:

Bit like the Eskimos having many words for snow, (an urban myth I believe :smiley: ) We use many words for the job description.

I particularly like to be called a wagon master, and many people have got close to calling me something very similar to either word. :laughing:

muckles:
Bit like the Eskimos having many words for snow, (an urban myth I believe :smiley: ) We use many words for the job description.

I particularly like to be called a wagon master, and many people have got close to calling me something very similar to either word. :laughing:

I did see a job advert where “you will be required to pilot an articulated goods vehicle around the country’s inter-urban network”.

well dolph being english and speaking it i assure u the gr8 usa average joe has a job speaking english and as for indirectly slagging of the uk yes we did have a empire but as we all know that wasnt todays generations fault. and personally having travelled a little bit still think its a pretty nice country . and if it wasnt for the english language im pretty sure not many guys would understand bulgarian. ive just ordered my coffee in a mcdonalds in pheonix in spanish as it was easier . happy travels driver :smiley:

Captain Caveman 76:

muckles:

I did see a job advert where “you will be required to pilot an articulated goods vehicle around the country’s inter-urban network”.

I can see it now, getting take off clearance from you planner as you leave the yard, "good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, we will cruising at an average of 50mph, and hopefully we’ll arrive at Tesco RDC at 05:00hrs.

Up here in the North we call them either wagon or lorry although I also use cab /unit never trucker

It is called truck net as it is a franchise form the american site truck net

Never hear artics being called juggernauts now either. Sure they were always referred as that when I was a kid.

happysack:
I hope to God that you weren’t an English teacher.

My exact thoughts! :open_mouth:

And who gives a crap, call it what you want…
Truck, lorry, who really cares. I believe it’s a UK thing to say lorry.
I’ve bigger things to get annoyed at, just like the spelling of “color” on that urine colour chart that’s everywhere! :imp: