Lorry or Truck

Lorry (or lurry :unamused: ), motor, wagon, nowadays camion (either semi or camio’remorque).
For many years though I was most insistant I was a ‘transport driver’ as distinct from the bloke who drove a dustcart :wink: :sunglasses:. In those days long-distance lorry driver was the common phrase, but a bit long-winded.
Always wore British Long Distance Green overalls though, once out of the cab to tip and load. :wink:

My uncle called trailers “trolley’s”

jammymutt:
I use the phrase truck driver or trucker as little as possible i prefer to be called a lorry driver.

Does anyone know the Polish name for an L.G.V. driver?, i think we have to use that soon so as not to upset the immigrant drivers.

truck = WAGONOWY
lorry = CIĘŻARÓWKA
driver = KIEROWCA

hope that helps :wink:

me its truck

jon

I drive a truck which makes me a Truckologist :sunglasses:

I describe the vehicle as the ‘steed’.

I call myself a truck driver I suppose, but I’m not worriedif I’m called anything else.

I was brought up to call them TRUCKS because a Lorry is a 4 wheel dropside truck, and I don’t drive those, mine bends - OHH ERR!!

Brits know them as lorries cos before the likes of scania, volvo and daf started selling their trucks over here you only had lorries, old, smelly, dirty, underpowered, cold and knackered old lorries with abolutely no driver comfort at all.

It’s only sad ‘old’ geezers who still call them lorries or wagons

But then again what do i know we’ve always called them trucks or prime movers in GOD’s country :wink:

That would be me then… :open_mouth:

That would be me then

Me too - but then I am! :confused:

Life; don’t talk to me about life. Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

i call them lorrys and wagons and im only 21 does that make me an old geezer then

Truck. And it’s not an Americanism, it’s from the Greek “trocchus”, meaning “wheel”.

"Brain the size of a planet… "

Life; don’t talk to me about life.

hmm, two sigs quoting Marvin in one thread

DON’T PANIC

:laughing:

i’m a class 2 driver and we usually refer to it as “the van”.

i.e. “■■■■ i left the lines at the back of the van” or… “there’s no way i’ll be able to get the van turned round there

…but for all intensive purposes i prefer truck to lorry

Still clinging on to ‘lorry’, unless i’m trying to raise a smile, in which case i use ‘juggernaut’. :smiley:

smile!:
but for all intensive purposes i prefer truck to lorry

Now, I’m no expert myself you’ll understand, but…

wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html

I’m 28 and i call em wagon’s as well…seem’s like people’s brain’s are ageing way ahead of their bodies there day’s. :cry: :cry: :open_mouth:

Roger Breaker:
Still clinging on to ‘lorry’, unless i’m trying to raise a smile, in which case i use ‘juggernaut’. :smiley:

smile!:

:blush: i stand corrected

(hopefully that isn’t another inaccurate phrase)

smile!:

Roger Breaker:

smile!:

:blush: i stand corrected

(hopefully that isn’t another inaccurate phrase)

:wink: :slight_smile:

Definitely lorry, wagon or motor

Truck is an American phrase that became popular around the time of Convoy and as such belongs to the American language not the English

Truck is an American phrase that became popular around the time of Convoy and as such belongs to the American language not the English

Still prefer truck, though I can’t get away with the current american obsession of adding as many letters as possible to words.

Professionality, Nationalisationism, Patriotical etc etc…

Not something I get stressed about, truck wagon lorry who cares !!!