Trucks or Lorries?

I am still a lorry driver who drives lorries. Never will I be a trucker or truck driver, as far as I’m concerned a truck is van like a moggy 1000 with a sided body

boris:
When did lorries become ‘trucks’ ? :confused: Years ago they were all known as lorries , now ( well in magazines anyway ) they’re called trucks…WHY? Merry xmas

Lancashire

truckfing:
Lancashire

hiya,
That’ll do for me.
thanks harry, long retired.

Wagon driver, never say Truck or Lorry probably a northern thing though.

TRUCKS in yank land LORRIES in good old blighty…! (can hear the tune of Jerusalem now)… :wink:

Doesn’t really matter a bugger what you call 'em, i use the terms truck or lorry but refer to wagon and drags too, always call meself a lorry driver, it seems to irk some people which is always a sign you’re on the right path… :wink: .

Though for the last 30 odd years on those forms you sometimes have to fill in, you know the ones, that want to know your social standing, the ones that start at the top with the professions and end up at the bottom with those who work for a living…i’ve crossed them all out every single time and written boldly across the list…‘‘scum of the earth lorry driver’’, must be on a govt list of undesirables somewhere by now, maybe the men in white coats’ll be along at some point.

Ah, Jerusalem, that was our school hymn, mortar boards and capes…and Miss Henson in her high heels and sheer black stockings gracefully gliding about, cape swishing on those nylons (pause for cold shower)…made a lasting impression on a young lad i can tell yer… :smiling_imp:

LORRIES

They are lorries. God I hate Americanisms. “Do you want fries with that sir?”…“No, I’ve thought about it, I definitely want chips” :imp:

Well Tribsa I reckon Trucks Rich ! :smiley: :smiley: and chips come in a bag that some call crisps !! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Only kidding G/ O/ man :laughing: :laughing:

Regards Jimski

When did lorries become ‘trucks’ ? :confused: Years ago they were all known as lorries , now ( well in magazines anyway ) they’re called trucks…WHY? Merry xmas

Trollies

I try not to use the Truck word myself, far too vulgar and I was brought up proper! We had a discussion about this on another forum and after looking into it, it seems Truck became more popular around the Second World War and the intervention of the Yanks, it became fashionable to copy some of their words and phrases, okay being one that has lasted and now everyone uses in Britain. The US owned vehicle manufacturers also refered to their products as Trucks during the Forties and Fifties whereas the older established British companies, Atkinson, AEC, Albion etc, still called them Lorries.
It would have taken a while for the average British driver to change to the Truck word, he much prefered Lorry or Wagon but I think once the Artic revolution came in the Sixties and larger and longer combinations hit the roads there was a tendency to show a kinship to the US Trucker and US television programmes (Cannonball and one or two others) were popular at the time. I remember a mate of my Dad always wore an American Baseball cap then, something you hardly ever seen British drivers wear (God knows where he got them) they didn’t really become more popular until the Eighties in this country.
Magazines like Commercial Motor started using the term as did most Commercial Vehicle columists and other mags such as Truck and Truck and Driver obviously thought they would have better sales than if they called them Wagon and Driver or Lorry Magazine. There are still quite a lot of people that don’t use the term and others like Outfit, Rig (appalling), Bender, I even heard the phrase Horse and Jockey once to describe an artic. The term Lorry by the way comes from a varied selection used in different parts of the country around the 1800’s such as Lurry, Lorrie, Larry, Rolly, Rully, Trolly. These all described a horse drawn cart usually a flatbed or with a headboard, sideboards or chains fitted to stanchions and even a tilt, a removable canvas cover (hence the term for those used much later). By the end of the Century Lorry was applied to the Steam vehicles, then the Petrol motors or Motor Lorries to distinguish them from the horse drawn lorry. Eventually it became used along with but more so than Wagon to describe any large goods vehicle until the dreaded Truck word. So hope this answers your query Boris. Franky.

Frankydobo:
I try not to use the Truck word myself, far too vulgar and I was brought up proper! We had a discussion about this on another forum and after looking into it, it seems Truck became more popular around the Second World War and the intervention of the Yanks, it became fashionable to copy some of their words and phrases, okay being one that has lasted and now everyone uses in Britain. The US owned vehicle manufacturers also refered to their products as Trucks during the Forties and Fifties whereas the older established British companies, Atkinson, AEC, Albion etc, still called them Lorries.
It would have taken a while for the average British driver to change to the Truck word, he much prefered Lorry or Wagon but I think once the Artic revolution came in the Sixties and larger and longer combinations hit the roads there was a tendency to show a kinship to the US Trucker and US television programmes (Cannonball and one or two others) were popular at the time. I remember a mate of my Dad always wore an American Baseball cap then, something you hardly ever seen British drivers wear (God knows where he got them) they didn’t really become more popular until the Eighties in this country.
Magazines like Commercial Motor started using the term as did most Commercial Vehicle columists and other mags such as Truck and Truck and Driver obviously thought they would have better sales than if they called them Wagon and Driver or Lorry Magazine. There are still quite a lot of people that don’t use the term and others like Outfit, Rig (appalling), Bender, I even heard the phrase Horse and Jockey once to describe an artic. The term Lorry by the way comes from a varied selection used in different parts of the country around the 1800’s such as Lurry, Lorrie, Larry, Rolly, Rully, Trolly. These all described a horse drawn cart usually a flatbed or with a headboard, sideboards or chains fitted to stanchions and even a tilt, a removable canvas cover (hence the term for those used much later). By the end of the Century Lorry was applied to the Steam vehicles, then the Petrol motors or Motor Lorries to distinguish them from the horse drawn lorry. Eventually it became used along with but more so than Wagon to describe any large goods vehicle until the dreaded Truck word. So hope this answers your query Boris. Franky.

Cheers Franky , have to say i hate the ‘truck’ word myself & most folk i know use the word lorry ,wagon or motor . " I’ve just got a new truck" just doesn’t sound right does it?

I always thought the phrase ‘truck driver’ sounded better than ‘lorry driver’…

Apropos of nothing I have also used a lurry. It’s like a broom but has a piece of board for a head, and is used for pushing loose materials like grain, sand etc. around.

Merry Christmas BTW.

Bender.

As has been said this issue has been raised before,but its still a good one to discuss.As far as I’m concerned a truck is a small van derived vehicle with an open back.A lorry is my way of describing a heavy goods vehicle,or large goods vehicle,as they describe them now.I always thought of myself as a lorry driver,as did my father before.Boris is quite right,a lot of blokes always refered to a lorry as a wagon.I think the truck word is an american term.We always called the eating places transport cafes,now the modern term is truck stop.
Cheers Dave.

HI ALL WE WERE ALWAYS KNOWN AS LORRY DRIVERS AND LORRIES WERE KNOWN AS LORRIES AND AS WE ARE ON THE SUBJECT WHERE DID LOGISTICS COME FROM HAULAGE CONTRACTOR OR ROAD TRANSPORT CONTRACTORS I PREFER STILL MUST BE MY AGE

hiya,
Trucks only have two wheels ie sack transporters for pushing taties round the market nowt wrong with being a lorry driver it did me for my time, and being British it’s good enough for me and should i ever become a driver o’er the pond i’ll still be a lorry driver, but i guess at nearly 75 i’ve more chance of being struck by lightning than ever being a Stateside “trucker” yuk i even cringe when i type the word.
thanks harry long retired.

i was always brought up that they were lorries how ever i now work for a volvo “truck” dealer so havnt got a clue anymore! but to me lorries bring an image of bedford tks and aec s and the like and trucks are big brash things from across the pond.

I started as a Lorry Driver,always wanted to be one and made it my career.I retired as a lorry driver.A truck in my day was a railway wagon carrying coal or the like.
Why do we have to copy the American way of life? They were on our side during the war but we still won. A Lorry is a Lorry.900X20.

As i remember it, we started calling them Trucks, after “Truck Magazine” came out in 74, there was always a story from across the water, then in 76 we got “Convoy” the rest, I think is history.