Trucks or Lorries?

900X20:
I started as a Lorry Driver,always wanted to be one and made it my career.I retired as a lorry driver.A truck in my day was a railway wagon carrying coal or the like.
Why do we have to copy the American way of life? They were on our side during the war but we still won. A Lorry is a Lorry.900X20.

Now we have to get you to say GAS instead of PETROL :wink: :wink: :slight_smile:

They will always be ‘Lorries’ to me but over here no sod knows what I am talking about. What gets me is the pillocks in pick ups who think they are driving a truck :laughing: They crawl along at a snails pace, taking turns at 5 mph because they are refered to as ‘Trucks’ they are infact 4x4 cars with a cargo bed instead of the back seats so if they can drive like mad in their SUV’s (4x4’s) why can’t they drive their scabby little 'Ute’s" the same way ?
I often call my truck a Lorry when I am with a fellow brit.

Pat Hasler:
They will always be ‘Lorries’ to me but over here no sod knows what I am talking about. What gets me is the pillocks in pick ups who think they are driving a truck :laughing: They crawl along at a snails pace, taking turns at 5 mph because they are refered to as ‘Trucks’ they are infact 4x4 cars with a cargo bed instead of the back seats so if they can drive like mad in their SUV’s (4x4’s) why can’t they drive their scabby little 'Ute’s" the same way ?
I often call my truck a Lorry when I am with a fellow brit.

Spoken like a real TRUCK driver :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :wink:

Merry christmas Charles :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
Merry christmas Charles :laughing:

Same back to ya Pat. :smiley: :smiley:

boris:
When did lorries become ‘trucks’ ? :confused: Years ago they were all known as lorries , now ( well in magazines anyway ) they’re called trucks…WHY? Merry xmas

At much the same time as "transport / haulage " became “logistics”.

Why, i have no idea, but you can’t beat the good old British words for things, enough of all the Americanisms !!

Steve.

remy:
…Now we have to get you to say GAS instead of PETROL :wink: :wink: :slight_smile:

In a truck■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :wink:…sorry, lorry :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I think its a lorry if you have to change gear yourself cos your a real man :sunglasses:

It becomes a truck when it changes gear itself :laughing:

You can still be a lorry driver with an auto if your pulling a flat though but you only just scrape in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They’re definitely lorries &/or wagons but not trucks. Trucks are pulled along by a railway engine,or are associated with moving sacks on platforms etc. Peronally I think truck is a vulgar word as is the title “trucker”. I am a long distance lorry (or wagon) driver,not an LGV driver or trucker & always respond unfavourably to anyone who hails me as either of the latter. The amount of times I am asked in doctors,banks etc what I do for a living & when I tell them they say “Oh,I’ll put you down as LGV Driver” to which I respond “No! I am a proffesional Long distance lorry driver”, just like my dad was! As for the word rig,well where do we start?:roll: …

Apologies for the triple posting,my PC is playing up & somehow I’ve managed to post that 3 times & now I can’t remove the two excess posts. :unamused: I can’t fly this blooming thing :laughing:

2 extra posts removed for ya :slight_smile: Simon.

i agree entirely with your view flip , but when i was a kid in the 40s & 50s they were all lorries . my old dad’s definition was " a mechanical device for making old men out of young ones " having said that i enjoyed 40+ years in the job , even though i did get old in the process . i couldn’t be bothered with the modern girly “trucks” , it must be so boring driving them , no challenge in the job now , regards , dave

FLIP:
Apologies for the triple posting,my PC is playing up & somehow I’ve managed to post that 3 times & now I can’t remove the two excess posts. :unamused: I can’t fly this blooming thing :laughing:

One too many sherberts if you ask me…Seasons greetings to ya FLIP.
Hope you,re keeping well mate, who you driving for now??
Oh and by the way i,m a lorry driver too…or at least i try to be. :laughing: :laughing:

“Trucks” and I think of transit tippers and builders vans, lorries will always be lorries to me. I’ve always said I was a “long-distance lorry driver” whenever I was asked.The word “Wagons” and I think there is a North/South divide. I’d never heard of lorries refered to as “wagons” until I started my driving career by going North of Watford Gap. I always think of the old American 49ers and their horse-drawn wagons with the canvas cover. Also “Wagon and drags” were called “lorry and drag” down here. Still, whatever we call them, we all are drivers. Lets hope that word isn’t replaced for “Logistical Heavy Machinery Operating Supervisor”. :unamused: :laughing:

Merry christmas and a very happy new year to all.

Regards,

Mark.

fly sheet:
I think its a lorry if you have to change gear yourself cos your a real man :sunglasses:

It becomes a truck when it changes gear itself :laughing:

You can still be a lorry driver with an auto if your pulling a flat though but you only just scrape in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have to disagree with that :astonished: as 95% of the piles of rubbish over here have crash boxes and require a lot of patience when shifting gear and they are all refered to a trucks … ■■■■■■’ antiquated piles of junk.

& whats up with a crash box Pat :question: I’d rather put the thing in the gear I choose rather than what some knobs programmed it to do, would’nt you :question:

always been a wagon driver from scotland, lorry mmmm perhaps, semi driver/truck driver no way no how…
jimmy.

Brookie is right! I,and many of my fellow drivers were Long Distance Lorry Drivers! Let’s keep it that way,it was a good living for me.Perish the thought that we might soon have "hoods,trunks,fenders and gas tanks"and other allied stupid Americanisms brought into our profession.America used to be one of our colonies - you can see why we gave them Home Rule.Fancy being lumbered with them forever.
Happy New Year everyone,900X20. :smiling_imp:

I refer to myself when in conversation as a TRUCK driver as i think lorry sounds like an appology. But within my own circle of associate’s and colleague’s it is a Lorry. As for Logistics that as far as i can see is just a catch all, bring back Haulage Contractors but maybe i am just biased.

I have to disagree with that as 95% of the piles of rubbish over here have crash boxes and require a lot of patience when shifting gear and they are all refered to a trucks … [zb]’ antiquated piles of junk.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the above too as they are not crash boxes but constant mesh! This is an example of how many terms and phrases are changed over the years, you also see a lot of people writing Suzie instead of Susie, eventually a word like Truck becomes a lot more common, I would think the majority of non goods driving public refer to Lorries as Trucks purely because the media (the real rulers of our lives) now constantly use it. I have worked in the Fire Service for the last Ten years and in the workshop we still call the vehicles Wagon’s despite them being Appliances, we use this term for all our HGV based vehicles. The military also uses Wagon but in this case includes Land Rovers and other smaller soft skinned vehicles as well. It seems Wagon may well have overtaken Lorry (excuse the pun) in some cases and its true Wagon does tend to be used more in the North. Franky.

My son refers to the vehicles he drives as trucks but he is only a boy (age41). I on the other hand started driving LORRIES in 1968 (aged 21) so I don’t think I’ll change my expression now. However I have never liked the word wagon as I think this is a box van that runs on a railway line . Also if you take this thought further the rolling stock that carries coal is refered to as a coal TRUCK. Regards kevmac47.