Wagon, truck, or lorry?

With a nod to the recent legends thread……

The YouTube algorithm suggested to me that I watch a video by a newly passed truck driver, so I thought I’d take a look during a break the other night. To be honest, it was a load of old cobblers. 30 minutes of an agency class 2 driver with a Lancashire accent you could cut with a knife, making food or building supply materials deliveries around the North West and doing nothing that special apart from a lot of talking. Throughout the video, he steadfastly referred to his truck as a wagon and it got me to thinking. Who on here refers to their truck as a wagon and who says truck or lorry.

It seems a bit of an outdated reference to me these days, harking back to days of steam driven wagons or something. If people ask me what I do for a living, I just say I’m a truck driver as I don’t think people would know what a wagon driver (or wheel attendant) was. Saying that, the term for truck driver here in Holland is ‘vrachtwagen chauffeur’ so maybe I am a wagon driver after all? :smiley:

So, who says what and is it maybe a North South thing? What are you Robbie… oops I mean Robroy? :laughing: Wagon, truck, or lorry driver.

Juggernaut. :wink:

If thaz in Lancisher tha drarves a waggin. Did ya not know that ? did ya not ? :confused: :smiley: :smiley:
Regards John.

I am a retired wagon driver, lorry driver, truck driver. Never been a steering wheel attendant. :laughing:

It seems like this Robbie thing is going to stick. :laughing: Sorry Rob but you started it. :wink:

I’m a retired lorry driver.

Sent from my mobile.

Most of the English speaking world call it a truck and Brit transport cafe slang often a wagon while lorry was often a term used by old women gossiping at the shops.Hope that helps. :wink:

Personally,I favour Land Galleon Commander.Has a certain ring to it.

When I passed my test and became an HGV licence holder, I drove lorries. Trucks were used to carry coal on the railways, or removals men would slip a pair of trucks under a grand piano.
I now hold an LGV licence, and drive a truck*. Sometimes I see other truck drivers behind the wheel of a wagonndrag though.

• Its not a lorry. It may weight more, but it aint a proper lorry.

Does anyone really care what it’s called?

Personally I say I’m a lorry driver , truck is an American term.

Wagon is for northern monkeys.

Harry Monk:

I’ve never driven a “truck” it’s always been a lorry, but my young son ( he’s only 50!) :laughing: :laughing: drive a truck. On the other hand I always called a lorry and trailer a wagon and dangle! Regards Kev.

Depends what mood i’m in really, generally gets called a wagon but i do reserve the title bag of ■■■■ for especially high mile/poorly maintained/smoked in vehicles.

One thing i can’t stand is people calling an artic a ■■■■ ing van, did the tesco store deliveries contract for a company once and some little scrote in the shop said “can you lower the back suspension on your van a bit pal” I must have looked at him like he just told me he had a 3rd ■■■■■■. I don’t know why but my brain just rejected it, i’m genuinely amazed i didn’t end up explaining to the manager why his employee just got ■■■■■■■■

Now if you ask me what i do for a living, i’m a lorry driver. Clean, simple and rolls off the tongue and explains why i’m overweight. :smiley:

joe royal:

“Truck” comes from “Trochus” meaning “wheel” in Classical Greek, and has been used in British English to describe wheeled vehicles since the 1600s. “Lorry”, to describe a self-propelled goods-carrying vehicle first appeared in 1911.

citycat:
So, who says what and is it maybe a North South thing? What are you Robbie… oops I mean Robroy? :laughing: Wagon, truck, or lorry driver.

Round here it’s wagon pronounced ‘wagin’ I usually refer to it as truck nowadays, just the way things have evolved I reck, …it isn’t exactly the first Americanism to catch on is it.
Lorry driver always conjures up an old guy from the 1950s with bib&brace, cloth cap, clogs and Army greatcoat driving a Thames Trader in my mind. :smiley:

Btw, don’t know why you’ve signalled me out tbh, but Robbie is fine I suppose …and an improvement on what some on here call me. :smiley:

Camion Poids Lourd

nuff said :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

citycat:

Round here it’s wagon pronounced ‘wagin’ I usually refer to it as truck nowadays, just the way things have evolved I reck, …it isn’t exactly the first Americanism to catch on is it.
Lorry driver always conjures up an old guy from the 1950s with bib&brace, cloth cap, clogs and Army greatcoat driving a Thames Trader in my mind. :smiley:

Btw, don’t know why you’ve signalled me out tbh, but Robbie is fine I suppose …and an improvement on what some on here call me. :smiley:

Oi you , I resemble that remark , but in the 60s .

robroy:

citycat:

I only singled you out as you’re one of the Village Elders of Trucknet. The wise old sage that people come to, to hear your words of countenance. :laughing:

And Dieseldog999 is the elder that everyone has to control before it kicks off around the fire !

By the way, every time I overtake a truck, a little Robroy voice in my head says ‘not yet not yet… now you can start to signal back in’. :smiley:

Harry Monk:

joe royal:

“Truck” comes from “Trochus” meaning “wheel” in Classical Greek, and has been used in British English to describe wheeled vehicles since the 1600s. “Lorry”, to describe a self-propelled goods-carrying vehicle first appeared in 1911.

Impressive, but do you know where “juggernaut” comes from?

citycat:

robroy:

citycat:

I only singled you out as you’re one of the Village Elders of Trucknet. The wise old sage that people come to, to hear your words of countenance. :laughing:

And Dieseldog999 is the elder that everyone has to control before it kicks off around the fire !

By the way, every time I overtake a truck, a little Robroy voice in my head says ‘not yet not yet… now you can start to signal back in’. :smiley:

Not so much of the ‘‘elder’’ and ‘‘old’’ eh, I’m just in me prime ffs. :laughing:

Love the overtaking story btw, looks like my belly aching and preaching about it has got through to somebody at least. :smiley:

Harry Monk:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just casually drop in the word " camion" into the conversation and let everyone assume your a driving eurogod… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

Harry Monk:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
just casually drop in the word " camion" into the conversation and let everyone assume your a driving eurogod… :slight_smile:

Aye but if you try and be clever with the laydeeez (and pretentious :smiley: ) and use the words ‘Chauffer de’ in front of it, they think you wear a silly hat and drive a fat rich bloke around in the back of a Roller all day. :laughing: