Ireland

Guest:

penfold:
the 2 occassions that I stopped to ask directions in N. Ireland was I told “Sorry driver, we don’t speak English here”

I have been to Northern Ireland once, and I encountered exactly the same attitude. Sheer nastiness.

I was spat at in Belfast, and had bricks thrown at the lorry, simply because I happened to fall out of my mother’s ■■■■■■ in Kent. When I tried to go for a beer, I was approached at the bar by thugs, telling me “Sorry Son, locals only” In the most threatening and frightening way imaginable…

Of course, I understand that Ireland has a long and troubled history, especially in relation to Westminster, but I felt that the hatred I was shown by the locals was completely unneccessary. I am a truck driver, not a politician, FFS. It isn’t my fault.

I have been to a lot of countries, and have experienced much friendship. I have drunk tea with Iraqis while our countries were at war, and we have got on like a house on fire. I have got on well with other truckers from two dozen different countries.

I’m sorry if this ruffles feathers, but the Northern Irish are the most hate-filled people I have ever met. I would never go there again, and that’s the only country I have ever been to about which I would say that.

Vince

You most of been in the wrong part of belfast because I am from northern ireland and most people I now are very friendly even if your from England or south Ireland or any other country or if your a protestant or Catholic but I now there are some parts that you are better to stay away from like crossmaglen,bogside mostly near the border. I’m from a place outside derry and
I always hear in the newspapers that someone got beat to dead or run over or murdered by raid or a bomb when off est

Your also better not to have a flag on your lorry because so gangs will attack you or your lorry it don’t madder of its a tri colour or a union Jack and you need to be careful what you say but if you do not do any of these things you will beat up but if you don’t you will be alright :smiley:

I must have my say I done the north and south in the bad times delivering to where places were bombed or new buildings going up builders merchants sites all sorts. absolutely everywhere and I can honestly say 3 years at it apart from one prick of a welsh soldier and im welsh the irish people me treated me brilliant ialso never poked my nose in some conversations I heard good and bad everywhere had my say regards rowly

Most people would stay away from northern ireland but I am from there and most people are really friendly to people from different countries and people of a different religion

You get rotten eggs in every country. No need, take people as I find them, I couldn’t give a toss what country you’re from, if you’re gay, straight, red, yellow, have one leg, like to walk backwards, who gives a ■■■■?

irish lorries:
You most of been in the wrong part of belfast because I am from northern ireland and most people I now are very friendly even if your from England or south Ireland or any other country or if your a protestant or Catholic but I now there are some parts that you are better to stay away from like crossmaglen,bogside mostly near the border. I’m from a place outside derry and
I always hear in the newspapers that someone got beat to dead or run over or murdered by raid or a bomb when off est

Maybe things were different 9 years ago. :confused:

Silver_Surfer:
You get rotten eggs in every country. No need, take people as I find them, I couldn’t give a toss what country you’re from, if you’re gay, straight, red, yellow, have one leg, like to walk backwards, who gives a [zb]?

That’s what all people should think like :smiley:

I worked out of Eire for a while in a Dublin registered lorry and used to ship in and out of the NI ports occasionally, I also used to go to Caffreys Brewery on the Falls Rd when I was on Holsten Pils.

The only time I had any problem (pelted with stones by kids) was driving through an area with red white and blue kerbstones in the Dublin registered lorry (this was 88/89) but kids are kids and I’ve had that kind of thing happen in other British cities too, in fact I would say Glasgow is worse, one time I went past Celtic’s ground with South London Storage Co (Solstor) plastered all over the unit and trailer and thought I was going to get my throat cut, the bhoys were definitely a bit ■■■■■■ off at my presence :laughing:

I used to get a bit of hassle at the checkpoints until the RUC/Squaddies heard my London accent in response to their barked orders.

I had quite a few night’s out in Belfast with a couple of lads from the brewery and never had a hint of bother, likewise when I was in the Holsten liveried lorry, but then even the most radical terrorist would think twice about blowing up a beer lorry :laughing:

newmercman:
I worked out of Eire for a while in a Dublin registered lorry and used to ship in and out of the NI ports occasionally, I also used to go to Caffreys Brewery on the Falls Rd when I was on Holsten Pils.

The only time I had any problem (pelted with stones by kids) was driving through an area with red white and blue kerbstones in the Dublin registered lorry (this was 88/89) but kids are kids and I’ve had that kind of thing happen in other British cities too, in fact I would say Glasgow is worse, one time I went past Celtic’s ground with South London Storage Co (Solstor) plastered all over the unit and trailer and thought I was going to get my throat cut, the bhoys were definitely a bit ■■■■■■ off at my presence :laughing:

I used to get a bit of hassle at the checkpoints until the RUC/Squaddies heard my London accent in response to their barked orders.

I had quite a few night’s out in Belfast with a couple of lads from the brewery and never had a hint of bother, likewise when I was in the Holsten liveried lorry, but then even the most radical terrorist would think twice about blowing up a beer lorry :laughing:

Count yourself lucky mate . Spent many a happy time in the South but on my sole venture into Belfast (1983) some ■■■■■■ blew me up , not going back for sure :open_mouth:

I got put on my arse in a chip shop in Dublin, a young Brit with short hair, dressed in a Barbour jacket, jeans and dealer boots looking a bit like a squaddie was enough to send a ■■■■■■ up gang of locals over the cam. It all ended up ok, they apologised when told by one of the lads I was with that I was a lorry driver and I went for a lock in with my new best mates :laughing:

Whilst living in Ireland, I was a chauffeur. I used to take clients to the North almost daily in a Dublin registered vehicle. Not once did I get, or look for any trouble. In fact the only person in 7 years of living there, ever gave me genuine grief. And that was a Jock! :open_mouth:

newmercman:
I got put on my arse in a chip shop in Dublin, a young Brit with short hair, dressed in a Barbour jacket, jeans and dealer boots looking a bit like a squaddie was enough to send a ■■■■■■ up gang of locals over the cam. It all ended up ok, they apologised when told by one of the lads I was with that I was a lorry driver and I went for a lock in with my new best mates :laughing:

Only in Ireland. Have a fight & then go for a drink together :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Silver_Surfer:

newmercman:

Only in Ireland. Have a fight & then go for a drink together :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

That’s true one minute you would hate someone the next you be getting full with them :grimacing:

newmercman:

im surprised at your comment about celtic park considering the east end is mainly a rangers stronghold, unless it was on match day?

miked:

newmercman:

im surprised at your comment about celtic park considering the east end is mainly a rangers stronghold, unless it was on match day?

Yes it was a mid week game, the ground was just kicking out and the natives were being a little bit boisterous :laughing:

I’ve had a few decent night’s out up in the Glasgow area, mostly with fans of the blue shirt though :wink:

Done North and South in Swiss and UK plates. Couldn’t relax in the North. No probs. in the South - lovely people.

Early one morning in the south I was driving down this narrow country road and an old boy stopped me and asked." You wouldn’t be going the other way ,would ya? " :laughing:

jd_123:
Can I first apologise to anyone who has come to N. Ireland and received bad treatment. This is most certainly A MINORITY of people, who are unfortunately the scum. They are a bit like English football hooligans, a small number of evil thugs who end up tarnishing the whole countries reputation. Does that mean all English are evil thugs? Of course not.

The vast majority of N. Irish people welcome everyone. There are hundreds of UK mainland trucks over here every week and have nothing but praise. I speak to a lot of them on the boats and the only complaint is the lack of HGV facilities, but that is a different matter.

I have had several bad experiences on the mainland, but that certainly does not put me off Britain. I was refused service in a Cardiff pub because I was “a mick”. I get regular offensive snide comments from so called “professional drivers” whilst at services/truckstops. I was at rugby before Christmas, and a group of drivers changed the subject as soon as I sat down. They spent the next 30 minutes making racist comments and putting down the Irish drivers. Also, Northern Irish plates on a truck attract the traffic police like flies round [zb].

All this does not mean the British hate the Irish, its just a minority that cause the problem.

In the past lot of years, Northern Ireland has changed considerably, for the better. I am glad you are looking forward to your next trip penfold, and I wish you every success working here.

Regards,

John

John, rward and myself hail from regions just outside of Cardiff. I would suggest that as there is a large gypsy community on “Rover Way” funnily enough and just around the corner at Wentloog in Cardiff, it wouldn’t surprise me too hear if they’d possibly been “a nuisance” shall we say recently in that pub that you found yourself in. Us Welsh, like the Irish in the majority are generally a friendly, welcoming bunch. Adrian

Ade1970:

jd_123:
Can I first apologise to anyone who has come to N. Ireland and received bad treatment. This is most certainly A MINORITY of people, who are unfortunately the scum. They are a bit like English football hooligans, a small number of evil thugs who end up tarnishing the whole countries reputation. Does that mean all English are evil thugs? Of course not.

The vast majority of N. Irish people welcome everyone. There are hundreds of UK mainland trucks over here every week and have nothing but praise. I speak to a lot of them on the boats and the only complaint is the lack of HGV facilities, but that is a different matter.

I have had several bad experiences on the mainland, but that certainly does not put me off Britain. I was refused service in a Cardiff pub because I was “a mick”. I get regular offensive snide comments from so called “professional drivers” whilst at services/truckstops. I was at rugby before Christmas, and a group of drivers changed the subject as soon as I sat down. They spent the next 30 minutes making racist comments and putting down the Irish drivers. Also, Northern Irish plates on a truck attract the traffic police like flies round [zb].

All this does not mean the British hate the Irish, its just a minority that cause the problem.

In the past lot of years, Northern Ireland has changed considerably, for the better. I am glad you are looking forward to your next trip penfold, and I wish you every success working here.

Regards,

John

John, rward and myself hail from regions just outside of Cardiff. I would suggest that as there is a large gypsy community on “Rover Way” funnily enough and just around the corner at Wentloog in Cardiff, it wouldn’t surprise me too hear if they’d possibly been “a nuisance” shall we say recently in that pub that you found yourself in. Us Welsh, like the Irish in the majority are generally a friendly, welcoming bunch. Adrian

Welsh people are very friendly but your police are not to irish lorry drivers and van drivers anyway. I think they just look for irish number plates. I am not saying they just pull over irish lorries but it seems like they look for them to pull over .but every orther Welsh person I been talking to are very friendly so are Scottish people some English people can be hateful and some won’t take euros but most people in the UK are very friendly. I try to be friendly to people from the UK as long as they don’t say anything to offend me

I’ve never had problems with the locals over there. They’ve always made me very welcome. I had a bit of trouble with some drivers on the ferry, they shut up when I explained that I’m neither Catholic or protestant, I’m Buddhist. I’ve encountered jobsworth forklift drivers that use their menial amount of authority against the visiting Englishman, only for him to be told that he’s being very English about the whole thing.
I now have more good mates in northern Ireland than I do at home.

So the English are hateful, because we won’t take Euros! You’re aware Euros aren’t legal tender in England? And you’re also aware that England isn’t the only country in The UK? Or indeed that England is the UK?