Ireland driving

Got a new job,done european work,only thing is the job is with a northern irish firm and havn`t been to Ireland(EVER)So i gotta learn quick :open_mouth: HELP.First where can i buy a good map of Ireland,where is there any truckstops,where is safe to stop and not to stop etc :open_mouth: There shipping the truck over to Fleetwood for Saturday ready for Sunday set off delivering in England then over to Ireland Wednesday,So i gotta learn as much as possible for Sunday morning :smiley:

Scaniamad,you can buy maps of Ireland almost anywhere in UK,it is part of UK
but not too big a part anyway,who are you working for?
any thing I can help with give me a shout ,did 15 years in Ireland on the trucks,Pandoro,Dukes,Roadferry etc
regards derek

Barline Transport in Larne m8,thanks for advice,was thinking of AZ type maps for Belfast and Dublin.

Sorry to be picky but before a true son of Erin dives in outraged,

trucking482002:
Scaniamad,you can buy maps of Ireland almost anywhere in UK,it is part of UK

no it’s not. Most of it is The Republic of Ireland (Eire).

To all who go. Take it easy, enjoy the real Guinness, and don’t be afraid to ask - everyone is soooo helpful :smiley: .

I would live there if it didn’t rain so much :frowning:

Salut, David.

Scaniamad,you wont have any trouble finding Barline 1st r at island (back of the Ferry weighbridge next to Fry transport ) you could walk to yard from ferry terminal,used to work out of same yard when it was Stockton Haulage.
They havent been down there long and dont know much about them.
You can get Belfast and Dublin maps at Larne ferry terminal or any decent newsagents. There’s 6 Counties in N Ireland (Belongs to GB) and 26 in Eire S.Ireland.
Give us a shout if I can help at all.
All the best with your new job.
regards derek

HI Scaniamad,
I live in Southern Ireland and also work for an Irish firm doing the Continent.
As said before, you’ll find good maps in just about every petrol station. The best one for Dublin is dark blue and has all the industrial estates listed also. I can’t remember what it’s called but it’s by “ordance ireland” and costs about 10euro. There isn’t a great map for Cork but if you’re lucky(!), you’ll never have to go down there. I always get lost in Cork, but as mentioned, most of the people are friendly and you’ll always find someone to help and give directions. As for parking down here - any layby!! Facilities here are very scarce. The roads in the South are sub standard but new by passes are springing up slowly.
There are a few “Mother Hubbards” - which are kind of truck stops with parking and food but not nearly enough of them. If you’re looking to wash the truck (which you will, especially after a day in the south) and you’re in Dublin, head for Dublin Port (well sign posted) and go into Molloy & Sherry’s yard. They are based in the ind estate in the port. They have power washes there for trucks. 1 token lasts about 8 min and costs 5.50 euro. I usually use 2 or 3. They also have parking facilities there but trying to find a space which is not next to a fridge is impossible. If you are stuck for parking in Dublin, and if you’re early enough, the end of the Keys (Heuston Station end) is not a bad spot. It’s outside the Guiness factory. Just beware of the ladies of the night in that area!
If theres anything other info you need, just ask.
Regards , Kenny

I have never been on a ferry before in my life :exclamation: I am due to go to Southern Ireland this week from either Holyhead or Liverpool (to be confirmed). I drive an artic with an inloader carrying glass which has a road clearance of only 8". Any advice re: booking in at terminals; getting on ferry; where to go when parked up on ferry etc etc would be appreciated.

Sorry :exclamation: I clicked on ‘Post Reply’ instead of new topic :blush: :blush:

penfold:
I have never been on a ferry before in my life :exclamation: I am due to go to Southern Ireland this week from either Holyhead or Liverpool (to be confirmed). I drive an artic with an inloader carrying glass which has a road clearance of only 8". Any advice re: booking in at terminals; getting on ferry; where to go when parked up on ferry etc etc would be appreciated.

Nothing to it nowadays, nearly every port in the land is well signed, and since there are no customs or immigration controls, you can just follow the others to the ship, facilities vary on every route and every company. some good some bad.

As for ground clearance, you shouldnt have any problem as the ramps are quite gentle. just mention the clearance to the loading officer or raise your suspension to the top.

I presume you work for St Gobain with a float glass trailer.
What they like to work for?

On the Ireland thread, if you look sharp, you might still catch the ferry from Carnryan as its still stuck on the rocks :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Wheel nut,
Thanks for the reply.
I have just started with LIFT Trans on float glass working out of the Guardian glass factory at Goole. Seems a good firm so far, pay is good, anyway time will tell :exclamation:

I would live there if it didn’t rain so much

I’ve said the same myself David, many times, to be sure, to be sure.

The place, the scenery (West coast), the people, the guinness, all great, just that bloomin wet stuff & too much of it. :cry:

penfold,

it can be quite tight getting out cause they pack you all so tightly together, so just watch yourself :smiley:

Hi all

I live in Cork and run out to continent…anyone need any help down this way then shout.

I agree Mother Hubbards is ok but if you r running from Dublin to Cork then Woodview resturaunt on the N8 just outside of Durrow is gr8t. Food is good value, they have plety of parking and they have showers there.