Ireland

Hi i am new here and i am thinking about going for a change of career and getting a HGV licence, i live in donegal, does anyone know what it is like for to get work in Ireland etc. any advice to a total newbie would really help.
Cheers
Paul

Paul,

Haulage in ireland has changed dramatically in the last five years or so, mainly due to eastern europeans coming here as drivers and hauliers, i drove for a couple of lads here and most have now got polish, nolans in new ross had about 50/50 irish and welsh back about '96 when i was there but very little of either now.
Fridge work seems to be the only international area still going. The groupage looks to be gone to eastern co’s.
Dont be disillusioned though, maybe I’m abit dismisal about it all. Others may have better reports for you.

From what I’ve read,as of 6 months ago,there were 300,000 Poles in Ireland.
Pre 2004,for the first time in 150 years, Ireland was actually attracting their own people back to Ireland because the “Celtic Tiger” economy was performing so well.
I am afraid to say, that Bertie Ahern has blown it big time now.
His open door policy to foreigners will now drive those of Irish descent,who had come back to Ireland,away from Ireland again.
What was he thinking about?

God gsm, don’t you ever change the record■■? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

wow its amazing what u can read on the back of a beer mat these days

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thats about it Paddy dosnt like immigrants doh
he’ll have to become one himself

hitch:
thats about it Paddy dosnt like immigrants doh
he’ll have to become one himself

I’m not Irish or of Irish descent,just commenting on the stupidity of someone who should know better(Bertie Ahern)!

If you want to stay legal go for multinationals DHL, Wincantons. Or you will be pulling 80/90 hours a week on national work. You’ll get good kit on international work but you don’t get much time in the bunk unless your on a ferry. 65% of drivers in Ireland are from eastern Europe. Most of them aren’t bad lads but there are some that can not drive. They gained their licences from the military with out seeing a truck. Most companies lost their drivers for Christmas one company I worked for asked my to come back for a week or two his fleet went from 10 down to 4 and that was cancelling annual leave on two of his Irish drivers. €500-€600 is an average wage in the country and €600-€700 in Dublin. There are better paid but not many. I’m looking around myself jacked my last job in before Christmas with Nippon Express 100% legal decent kit but was expected to do 12 days away 2 days off then back out for another 12 all for aprox €700 (£472) a week take home stuck it for a month.

gsm31:
I’m not Irish or of Irish descent,just commenting on the stupidity of someone who should know better(Bertie Ahern)!

And we are commenting on the member who constantly quotes us this zenophobic rubbish that he reads on the back of beer mats. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Simon:
And we are commenting on the member who constantly quotes us this zenophobic rubbish that he reads on the back of beer mats. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Great word xenophobic,love it to bits. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: