Have I completely destroyed my chances?

Hi all,

I was pulled yesterday doing 48 in a 30 (a 30 which I and everyone else I have spoken to believes was a 50). Tried to explain to the officer that I wasn’t aware it was a 30, he explained that any road with street lighting and no speed signs was a 30…I don’t remember being taught this. When I had a drive around later it appears that all the roads leading up to this particular stretch of dual carriageway were marked at 30. So I now know I am in the wrong, I am just ■■■■■■ that they think this ticket (fine and points) will deter me from speeding when I believed I was driving at the appropriate speed, with the flow of traffic around me and certainly slower than the scenic that was overtaking me on the inside.

I had planned to start my C training this month but now I’m going to have 3 points on my license I am wondering if it will just be a waste of time. I have read several posts from other members detailing the trouble they have had finding work…3 points puts me at the back of the pack I’m sure.

I am a big bloke but I was honestly close to tears after being pulled…everything seems stacked against me since I chose this career change…totally gutted!![/list][/u]

im in the same situation as you are, got 3 points and £60 fine a month ago for speeding on a dual carriageway. the female police officer wasnt too happy (maybe that time of the month :laughing: ).
anyway im stil going to do all the training and tests to get my C & C+E licence, ive still got my current job if i dont find anything for a while. probably doesnt help that im 21 as well, but im definately going to give it a try.

I doubt 3 points will put a prospective employer off - some say no more than 6 points. I don’t think you would be at the back of the queue, but if it was a choice of clean licence or 3 points and everything else was equal then maybe you wouldn’t get the job.

I am 100% sure they picked me out of the bunch cos I am 29 (look a lot younger) and was driving a very nice Jag…apparently they had no powers of discretion…I’ve since found out this is total bullcocks. They wouldn’t listen to reason at all. In my mind I wasn’t speeding as I thought this was a 50 stretch, a quick lesson would have stopped me ever doing over 30 on that stretch again. I was unaware of the rules regarding street lighting and the absense of signs.

Clearly this is just a case of coppers working to targets and harvesting stealth taxes. If the average speed of a driver on that stretch was truely their primary concern, surely nortifying drivers of the correct speed, using a round sign, would be the best first step…if drivers continue to disregard the limit then perhaps have a trap.

:frowning: Sorry to hear this news guys, so I’ll try to offer some crumbs of comfort…

I don’t think that 3 points for speeding will affect your chances of completing your training…

Like Smart Mart, I feel that 3 points shouldn’t be be too much of a problem in seeking work after you’ve qualified, because most firms/agencies will accept up to 6 points, but I’d suggest that you do need to be careful in future.

As a general guide, if you see a 30mph sign, you’re in a 30mph zone until you see otherwise.
If you’re ever unsure, it’s probably best to assume it’s a 30mph zone until you have chance to glance at the end of a (narrower) sidestreet.
If there are no 30mph signs at the end of the sidestreet, the road you’re on usually has a 30mph limit, but if there are 30mph signs at the end of the sidestreet, then you’re in a ‘something else’ speed limit.
Where there is a ‘something else’ speed limit, there are quite often ‘repeater’ signs at intervals along the road.

I hope this helps. :smiley:

Spooner wrote:-
he explained that any road with street lighting and no speed signs was a 30…I don’t remember being taught this.

Highway Code rule 123

Found at the end of the Table on speeds

• The 30 mph limit usually applies to all traffic on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise.

Also rule 124

You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table above). The presence of street lights generally means that there is a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit unless otherwise specified.

[Law RTRA sects 81, 86, 89 & sch 6]

spooner:
I am 100% sure they picked me out of the bunch cos I am 29 (look a lot younger) and was driving a very nice Jag…apparently they had no powers of discretion…I’ve since found out this is total bullcocks. They wouldn’t listen to reason at all. In my mind I wasn’t speeding as I thought this was a 50 stretch, a quick lesson would have stopped me ever doing over 30 on that stretch again. I was unaware of the rules regarding street lighting and the absense of signs.

Clearly this is just a case of coppers working to targets and harvesting stealth taxes. If the average speed of a driver on that stretch was truely their primary concern, surely nortifying drivers of the correct speed, using a round sign, would be the best first step…if drivers continue to disregard the limit then perhaps have a trap.

spooner:
When I had a drive around later it appears that all the roads leading up to this particular stretch of dual carriageway were marked at 30. So I now know I am in the wrong,

I’m NOT having a dig but nuff said I’m afraid. Do the Crime pay the Fine. :cry:

I started my C Training with 9 points. 3 got wiped due to time when I got my new licence back with C&E on it. The other 6 are 3 years old and I don’t think they count but stay on for another year.
I’ve applied for loads of jobs and I’ve included a copy of my licence. I ain’t heard nothing yet but… :unamused: :unamused:

I’m bang to rights on the speeding, I know that…and I didn’t dispute it with the officers that pulled me. It’s a lesson learnt, but I just feel they didn’t need to give me a ticket.

This just reinforces my belief that the police are not actually their to make the roads safer…they are their to carry out the will of the government and increase revenue. If safety was their concern why didn’t the pull the guy that was overtaking me on the inside lane and almost lost control breaking to avoid the officers as they stepped into the road?

dinosteveus1:

spooner:

spooner:
When I had a drive around later it appears that all the roads leading up to this particular stretch of dual carriageway were marked at 30. So I now know I am in the wrong,

I started my C Training with 9 points. 3 got wiped due to time when I got my new licence back with C&E on it. The other 6 are 3 years old and I don’t think they count but stay on for another year.
I’ve applied for loads of jobs and I’ve included a copy of my licence. I ain’t heard nothing yet but… :unamused: :unamused:

Funny, that sounded very much like a dig with all the red highlighting…strange seeing as you have collected 9 points and until yesterday my license was clean…what point were you attempting to put across?

spooner:
I’m bang to rights on the speeding, I know that…and I didn’t dispute it with the officers that pulled me. It’s a lesson learnt, but I just feel they didn’t need to give me a ticket.

This just reinforces my belief that the police are not actually their to make the roads safer…they are their to carry out the will of the government and increase revenue. If safety was their concern why didn’t the pull the guy that was overtaking me on the inside lane and almost lost control breaking to avoid the officers as they stepped into the road?

Speaking as someone who had 9 points I know it was my fault. I was gutted that I got caught but carp :blush: happens.

spooner:

dinosteveus1:

spooner:

spooner:

Funny, that sounded very much like a dig with all the red highlighting…strange seeing as you have collected 9 points and until yesterday my license was clean….what point were you attempting to put across?

The point I was trying to make is, it was your fault you got caught. Just like it was mine when I got caught. I had no one but myself to blame, same as you. There is no point in trying to blame someone else…

First of all welcome to Trucknet Uk spooner :smiley:

spooner:

No offence intended m8 but you’re talking a load of ■■■■■■■■, you were clearly caught speeding, ignorance is not excepted as an excuse, any ■■■■ fool can say they wasn’t speeding because they thought the limit was higher on that stretch of road.

You were doing 48 mph in a 30 mph limit why would you think it unreasonable to get a ticket.
I’m not criticising the fact that you were speeding but the fact that you’re coming out with such lame excuses and blaming it all on the law, I’m no great lover of the police myself but in this case they were clearly doing the job they’re employed to do.

Accept that you made a mistake and will have to pay the consequences and move on :wink:

As already said three points probably won’t make much difference to your chances of employment as a driver, weather or not you would be capable of keeping a job without blaming everyone else for your own mistakes is another matter altogether :frowning:

Having said that I wish you the best of luck in your chosen future career :smiley:

In case you missed my welcome & reply on the other topic -

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome spooner :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:** [__GENERAL DRIVING TIPS [u]*BEFORE*[/u] STARTING LGV C TRAINING (Link)__](http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31611&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

If you click the link in my signature or this (Forum sponser logo) it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

To book any LGV training I suggest the trainee-to-be, visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Using the site Search facility and putting the words TRAINING AND WHERE you wish to train may turn up some recommendations. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg)

spooner:
I would be interested in riding shotgun for a few days before my c course. I was gong to write to some haulage firms and see if they would accept me.

Not a bad idea but you may find that an experienced driver will drive differently than you will be asked to do for a DSA LGV test.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

As for the points - OK, you know you did it and have to pay the penalties :slight_smile:
BUT the more serious issue is one you seem to have taken on board - YOU LEARNT FROM IT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: - many do not and do the same thing again & again…

Learning from your errors is a good trait to have, especially when no-one gets hurt and there is no damage done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

spooner why you even thinking twice about it, point disappear after a few years and most employers except up to six anyway, your licence is for life ! just be extra careful and make sure you dont pick up anymore in mean time. go for it id say !

good luck with training

3 points are that common these days because of all the cameras that they are pretty much ignored. Just try not to get anymore.

i had 3 points when i started my class 2, never stopped me getting work, just watch your speed.

my 3 points have been spent minus the year for “insurance purposes” so ive technically got a clean licence if anyone asks.

I got a speeding fine in Nottingham in 04 doing 37 mph. I was well annoyed at the time but paid my fine and got my points. I’ve been lucky since then not to get anymore. Those 3 have only just come off and its nice having a clean license again. Unfortunately its a hazard of the job. It only takes an unfamiliar road and a bit of daydreaming and phoosh they got you on camera. Its crap i agree but its a hazard we have to live with as drivers :frowning:

Thanks for all your replies.

To clarify, I was not complaining about being caught, I was clearly breaking the speed limit. I just think the cicumstances under which I was ticketed were slightly too “by the book” when a talking to would have sufficed.

This was clearly an operation to appease local residents. The officers said that they were going to be there till late evening…to “catch the boy racers”…I returned at 7pm and they were already gone…probably filled their quota already. I drive this road at least 4 times a day, 7 days a week, (I know I should know better, now I do!!) and I can tell you that 75% of drivers (including the police as their station is sited just off this dual carriageway) drive at between 40-50 mph. The police officers being there for a couple of hours one afternoon does little more than ■■■■ a few people off.

I appreciate everyones input and I agree with most of the points raised.

when i passed my class 2, I had 6 points, im not saying that like its big or clever but I was honest with my employer and they where fine with it.

Good luck for the future, hope it all goes well.

Have they not given you the chance to do a speed course as they sometimes do now it will stop the points on your licence but you will still have to pay for the fine or course

3 point on your licence shouldn’t stop you good luck