Licence Trouble

First of all I am new to the forum so hello one and all.

I have a bit of a story to tell so bare with me, I passed my C+E about 2 and half years ago, I had got 2 sp30s on my driving licence both offences were nothing silly 36 in a 30 and 38 in a 30. Once I had passed my test I got regular work with an agency which was all good. Now me being new to the game I wanted to try and impress the company I was working for at the time as being a newbie you kind of get the feeling that haulage companies are just waiting for you to get it wrong. I was always on time always willing to do nights out etc and everything was going well.

It was with this this company that I was given the same work for 5 days Trunking from from Depot to another this was going between Wellingborough and Peterboro 3 times and day and then home. Nice and easy work, the road i was using was the delightfull A605 which has a speed camera just before a Junction into a place called OUNDLE the speed camera was put there about 5 years ago due to one accident at this junction which turned out to fatal. The road is very straight with good visability its SC so speed limit was 40 now me being new and trying to impress thought that if I go over 40 it would not work as it must have been set to 60mph…Wrong I was called into the Transport office one morning with a NIP I was caught doing 47mph by this camera. Oh Bollox I thought i better slow down next time, which I did but 2 days later back in TO 2 more NIP I was caught doing 46 and 49 oh well that my licence gone then.

It took about 10mths for my court date and during this time I was given a full time job with a certain Car Transport Company which I told before I started about my due court apperance but they were ok with it. It was while i was waiting for my day in court I was thinking about what to do. Do I plead for my life and take 15 points and a massive fine or do I take a 6mth ban and get my licence clean of points but with a TT99? What would any of you guys done? I took the ban thinking it would be easier to get work with a tt99 than it would 15pts.

I dont feel sorry for myself and I know it was what I deserved, I got my licence back about 12mths ago and I am really strugling to get work not only due to the recession but because of my licence. I am doing a bit of casual work for a company at the moment which is giving me some driving time to keep my hand in but its not enough.

Am I wasteing my time even looking? Just how much more does it cost a company to insure a driver with more than 6pts which seems to be the maximum. has anyone else had this trouble or know anyone with a tt99. If I was given the chance why cant transport companys allow the driver to pay the extra it would cost to insure. It does seem strange to me that my car insurance does not seem to have gone up that much 60quid a year roughly so why is it hard. When a company advertises and says no more than 6pts on licence does that include me because I dont have any points just a TT99.

Any advice would be great

Many thanks

If I was given the chance why cant transport companys allow the driver to pay the extra it would cost to insure.

Hi and welcome, sorry to hear about your plight but as you say it was your own fault. As an ex employer it isn’t the extra cost of insurance that is the concern - you have earned yourself the position of a reckless driver - yes I know you say you were trying to impress but put yourself in the employers position, it looks bad on the company and if these notices keep coming to the attention of VOSA it will have an impact on the operating licence of the company concerened. That said if you can get some work and keep your nose clean for a few years it should all fade away.

Happy New Year and good luck.

Someone with your record should not be driving trucks…

Thanks coddy your comments are very helpfull mate.

We all make mistakes and most people learn from them me included

how unlucky can someone be? :laughing:
i’ve broken every rule in the book and not had it as bad as you.

i’d have tried it on for a while instead of holding my hands up and admitting to any offences.

how old are your first six points?

Tell me about it Limeyphil I dont do the lottery anymore lets put it that way.

My original 6 pts were about 2 years old mate but as I said I have had them all wiped off now and I am stuck with this TT99 for 4 years I think. I am not a dangerous driver mate and I am sure most drivers have not stuck to 40 on SC which is why comments like coddys wind me up. But like all others he is entitled to his opinion just like eveyone else, I must keep a look out for coddy on the road he will be easy to spot because of the giant HALO over his cab or car

i’ve never heard of a TT99 before. what is it?

Hi Mate
Its an offence code for Totting up Points anymore than 12 is automatic ban

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome suzukiboy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
I’ve been there and done that in my younger days in a 7.5 tonner :open_mouth: :blush: :blush: :blush:
I got the full 12 points and went to court to plead
I apologised (big style) and explained to the court why I did it - just as you have done in your first post.
The court did not ban me but kept all the points on.
Had I been banned then that would have virtually ended my driving career for many years as it is the one thing that employers frown on and often cannot be bothered to listen to any explanations as to why - many just assume you did something really bad such as DD or dangerous driving…

What decision you make is up to you but I would not recommend going for a ban.

You have learned, albeit a little late, that you MUST protect your licence above all else which will serve you well in the future.
You will also now be able to say NO to employers/TMs etc when you feel that you are being put in a position between keeping them happy or risking your licence - many bow down to employers under the fear of losing their jobs so they risk it but in the end it is only the driver that loses out.

One saving grace and why I have not had a ‘go’ at you - you have not hurt anyone or damaged anything so this seems like a simple legal issue of breaking the law rather than a safety one
EDIT & ADD - 36 in a 30 and 38 in a 30 would, in my view, be a safety issue but going over 40 in a truck in a NSL when safe to do so would not necessarily be a safety issue.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Thanks for the reply ROG
I have already had the ban mate all points have been wiped off so I have a clean slate so to speak but tt99 will remain on my licence for 4 years. It seems strange that I can now get another 3 NIP if i was stupid enough and still keep my licence but if i was to have kept the 15pts and pleaded to the courts I would almost have certainly lost it if I was caught just once more within 4 years.

cheers mate

Yep - TT99 stays for 4 years from conviction.

Employers are able to be a fussy as they like at the moment because of the economic situation. The 6 point limit is just an arbitrary thing from insurance companies to weed out the slow learners. If you can get work and demonstrate your reformed character you may well get a permanent job offer.

With hindsight the 15 point option might have been better but who knows? I bet a good many TMs and Agency wallahs don’t know what a TT99 is either.

Good luck anyway and forget cameras - just keep to the limits all the time.

Cheers Santa

Thanks for the advice mate I do stick to the speed limits now mate at all times and have done for the past year.

I just need a chance to prove myself, Most lorry drivers I speak to are always moaning about Long hours nights out etc, some guys even refusing to do nights out. I just sit there think to myself I would love to have a job thats long hours and be out 4/5 nights a week because truck driving is all I have ever wanted to do since I was kid.

Cheers mate

welcome suzukiboy :smiley: .
pay no attention to the ■■■■ comments,there are 1 or 2 on here that are not firing on all fours.
you had a run of bad luck,everyone on here has done more than 40,just you were unlucky enough to get caught…more than once.
my advice,keep plugging away,something will turn up eventually.

limeyphil:

I’d guess at a V plate audi coupe

garnerlives:

limeyphil:

I’d guess at a V plate audi coupe

very quick indeed :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to my world i have just finished my 6 month ban, however I don’t get my h.g.v back until may due to a further 6 months I received from the traffic commissioner.
I think it may prove quite hard to find a job with a tt88 on our licence, but I suppose their may always be someone looking for a driver even with tt88 on licence.

If I don’t find anything local I will just go back with the Irish :smiley: :smiley:

Driving Offence Codes and Penalty Points

Special Code
TT99
To signify a disqualification under totting-up procedure. If the total of penalty points reaches 12 or more within 3 years, the driver is liable to be disqualified…

Ello mate, and welcome to the madness!! :laughing: :laughing:
I have a dr10 on my license from 2001 and was banned for driving for 2 years meself, and a lot of jobs advertised are saying
do not apply if you have any DD/DR/T99 convictions etc, but to be honest i have been lucky with finding work and have stuck with
the same job since regaining my license. There are employers out there mate who will take you on, so just keep on looking about
and im sure you will ave a result eventually! Ignore all the Negative on ere mate, and keep positive!! :slight_smile: :wink:

All the best for the New Year, :smiley:

Wayne.

oldskoolfordsrule:
Welcome to my world i have just finished my 6 month ban, however I don’t get my h.g.v back until may due to a further 6 months I received from the traffic commissioner.
I think it may prove quite hard to find a job with a tt88 on our licence, but I suppose their may always be someone looking for a driver even with tt88 on licence.

If I don’t find anything local I will just go back with the Irish :smiley: :smiley:

Well I know how you must be feeling mate. Good luck when you do get your licence back mate, I had to beg the TC for a good 15mins to get my class 1 entitlement back. what were you banned for mate?

Dont worry mate up until last year i had 17points all for speeding never been out of work yet
But ignore the haters no one is perfect
there is work out there to be had
Have a cracking new year fella