Have I completely destroyed my chances?

Think you only get offered a speed course up to 5 mph over the limit.
Not all forces offer them.

spooner:
To clarify, I was not complaining about being caught, I was clearly breaking the speed limit. I just think the cicumstances under which I was ticketed were slightly too “by the book” when a talking to would have sufficed.

But the same would have to be applied to everyone else who got caught speeding, and no-one would get a ticket, and the deterent is worthless. Anyway…

Just a note on the 30 signs…

30mph signs are displayed at the start of the 30mph zone. It is not permitted to display 30mph repeater signs within that zone. If you’re in a 40mph zone, for example, you will find a 40mph repeater sign posted at intervals along that route. If there are no repeaters posted, you must assume you are in a 30mph zone. Also, as has been said, a glance down a side street will give you an idea of the speed limit on the road you’re using.

It is not permitted to display 30mph repeater signs within that zone

Now that is ridiculous. Surely it’s better to reinforce the speed limit with some repeaters than to rely on the old street light routine. Which I’m sure a huge number of drivers are ignorant of.

And here’s something I’ve often wondered,

At the end of a 30mph limit where it becomes a 40mph limit there are big dinner plate signs and smaller repeaters, if someone nicked all the 40’s would it technically become a 30 limit?

mikewhi:

Most forces allow 10% + 3MPH as a tollerance, at least this is what my police officer friend (I use the term lightly…we were mates before he got the job so I guess it’s ok).

So if that is the case no one would be ticketed for under 5MPH over the limit.

30MPH Would be 36 Max

40MPH Would be 47 Max

50MPH Would be 58 Max

60MPH Would be 69 Max

70MPH Would be 80MPH…

BUT,and it’s important to note this, the tollerances are allowed for variations in speedo readings. So if you rspeedo reads 36 through a 30 you may be doing much more,…

Iggy:
It is not permitted to display 30mph repeater signs within that zone.

Hi Iggy, That’s a pretty strong statement mate, but I’d be interested to know by what law it’s “not permitted” please.

I’ve seen repeated 30mph signs in the town where I live.

Here you go Dave.

Have to say it had me wondering because I’m reasonably sure that it used to be commonplace to see repeater signs in 30 mph limits, looks like it depends on the lighting.

Statutory Instrument 2002 No. 3113 The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002

SCHEDULE 19
PART II
THE TRAFFIC SIGNS GENERAL DIRECTIONS 2002

(3) Signs shown in diagram 670 when varied to “20” need not be placed in accordance with paragraph (2) on a road within an area into which each entrance for vehicular traffic has been indicated by the sign shown in diagram 674.

(4) The sign shown in diagram 670 (except when displayed on a variable message sign in the manner mentioned in regulation 58(7)(b)) shall not be placed along -

(a) a road on which there is provided a system of carriageway lighting furnished by lamps lit by electricity placed not more than 183 metres apart in England and Wales or not more than 185 metres apart in Scotland and which is subject to a speed limit of 30 mph; or

(b) a motorway on which a national speed limit is in force.

(5) The sign shown in diagram 671 shall be placed at regular intervals along the length of a road (other than a motorway) on which -

(a) there is a system of street or carriageway lighting furnished by lamps lit by electricity placed not more than 183 metres apart in England and Wales or not more than 185 metres apart in Scotland; and

(b) a national speed limit is in force.

Diagram 670

tachograph:
Here you go Dave.

Have to say it had me wondering because I’m reasonably sure that it used to be commonplace to see repeater signs in 30 mph limits, looks like it depends on the lighting.

Hi tachograph, I seem to remember repeated 30mph signs too, but I’d be quick to say that it was quite some time ago.

:laughing: Maybe we’re thinking back to a time before TSRDG 2002 came into force. :confused:

Come to think of it, and having regard to your quote, the signs are not of the type that “shall not” be placed, since they’re painted on the road surface and don’t conform to diagram 670.
TBF though, the road I had in mind did have a 40mph speed limit for all the time I can remember, (40+ years) but the speed limit was reduced to 30mph fairly recently.
So it looks like everybody is correct. :smiley:

spooner:

mikewhi:

Most forces allow 10% + 3MPH as a tollerance, at least this is what my police officer friend (I use the term lightly…we were mates before he got the job so I guess it’s ok).

So if that is the case no one would be ticketed for under 5MPH over the limit.

30MPH Would be 36 Max

40MPH Would be 47 Max

50MPH Would be 58 Max

60MPH Would be 69 Max

70MPH Would be 80MPH…

BUT,and it’s important to note this, the tollerances are allowed for variations in speedo readings. So if you rspeedo reads 36 through a 30 you may be doing much more,…

Don’t count your life on these figures. Last look I took of the ACPO guidelines was 10%++2mph The only exception being 20mph where the guideline was 25mph (10%+3mph)

In fact, here’s the current ACPO guidlines (.DOC)

spooner:

Up to a certain speed they’re legally required to under-read ie if it says you’re doing 36 then the real speed must be less and can’t be more.

30 repeater signs should be present when a fixed camera is in place or when mobile units may be in operation. The signs have a 30 and a picture of a camera with a blue background.

By rights the 40/50 repeaters should be every half mile or so on each side of the road. I am not sure if this is set in stone though.

I know of many roads where they are missing presumed melted.

Here is a nice little link that may help to understand speed limits and why.they are in place

dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/sp … limits.pdf

dieseldave:

Iggy:

Hi Iggy, That’s a pretty strong statement mate, but I’d be interested to know by what law it’s “not permitted” please.

Tachograph has quoted from SCHEDULE 19 PART II THE TRAFFIC SIGNS GENERAL DIRECTIONS 2002, which is what I was also refering to.

If you see a 30mph repeater sign, it’ll be an unofficial council sign, usually displayed at a slightly different size and on a yellow or white background.

I think it’s daft not to display them myself…

Iggy:

dieseldave:

Iggy:

Tachograph has quoted from SCHEDULE 19 PART II THE TRAFFIC SIGNS GENERAL DIRECTIONS 2002, which is what I was also refering to.

If you see a 30mph repeater sign, it’ll be an unofficial council sign, usually displayed at a slightly different size and on a yellow or white background.

I think it’s daft not to display them myself…

Hi Iggy, Agreed mate.
The ones I saw are still there, but they’re painted (white) on the road surface, so there’s no danger of whoever put it there falling foul of the law you quoted.

At a time immediately after the implementation of the ‘new’ speed limit, there were also the signs you described above fastened to every other lamp post all along the affected stretch of road. Those signs have now been removed.