Going for license (teenager)

Hi Guys,

Not really on how to word this but I guess I’ll give it a shot. I’m 18 this year and I plan on going for my lorry license, now I say lorry license because I’m not quite sure what I can drive at 18. There are so many ifs and buts but I was wondering if anyone my age who has passed or maybe some of the old timers could help.

What I’ve gathered so far:

To drive a Category C Vehicle, you must:

-Be 18 years old or over.
-Have a medical from either your own doctor or we have a doctor who can do this for a reduced fee
-Apply for a Provisional LGV Licence // How much does this cost?
-Pass three Theory Tests: // // How much does this cost?
Test 1: 100 Multiple Choice Questions
Test 2: Hazard Perception
Test 3: Case Study Test

After the theory…

Once you have passed the theory tests you are ready for the Practical Training and Test.

When all of this has been passed…You may need to take a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) Test. // Does it cost to sit a CPC? How much? If I get myself a CPC and ‘have passed your driving test’, the direct.gov website then says I can drive a C+E at 18?

Just looking to be pointed in the right direction really, and also how much should I be looking to spend on all of this?

PS; If anyone is looking for clarification on the direct gov website: Direct.Gov Website

Many thanks

I’ve moved your post to this forum, where you’ll find more posters with the answers to your questions. dd. :wink:

Hi Sam Millar,

You’ll get some great answers here mate, but please have a look at the stickies at the top of this forum too cos there’s plenty of useful info in them for you. :smiley:

Here’s a link to our info on cheap medicals:

:bulb: Please beware of LGV training ‘brokers,’ because not all of them are all that they say. :wink:

Good luck!! :smiley:

I would go for it mate but the chances of you finding a job is slim to nothing. Theres no way companys will let an 18 year old behind the wheel of a rigid and I don’t think there is any insurers in the country that will cover u.
I had enough trouble when I got my licenses at 21, got laughed at when I went into places looking for a job because none of them would insure me. Took me months to get my first run out and that was only in a rigid. I’m 22 now and settled in a full time job in an artic with my own unit. So just goes to show if Yo keep pluggin away it can happen, but as I say it was very difficult and I had alot of luck so at 18 I would say there’s hardly any chance.

If I was you, I would do my licenses back to back. Then get yourself in a warehouse where there’s transport. Maybe do a bit of forklifting and shunting if it’s there. The main thing is to set your self up in the right place for when your 21 to be able to get out on the road. At least you will have been round trucks and get an idea of how transport works. Hope this helps mate, good luck.

Hi,

Just my experience, I started driving vans of all different sizes, moved up to 7.5t, then on to artics, building experience, was a 10 year spread from start to artic but that was just the way I did it , I did not push my self to get straight to class 1,

Paul

we have an 18 yo driving an 8 legger at our place, so it is possible.

Had this conversation with my folks (my dad who is also a artic driver). Constantly telling him about how many idiotic 18 year old flying about in their pathetic sooked up corsas (i have a corsa :laughing: :laughing: ) but i wouldn’t trust them to take me in a car never mind a lorry.

Guess that kinda makes me a hypocrite but hey, you do get the sensible ones out there and I can proudly say I’m one of them. :slight_smile:

Since the Young Driver Scheme finished and we moved in line with the EU. It is open to anyone who is 18 provided you meet the medical standard and you spent your last year at school dealing drugs or had a bloody good paper round :stuck_out_tongue:

It may cost you upwards of 2000k to get your C+E (Articulated Vehicle Licence) :open_mouth:

Looking on the bright side, when I did my class one all those years ago, it cost me a months wages too :wink:

I wonder about the wisdom of allowing Corsa drivers in a 44tonner, but then again I had a Lotus Cortina when I was 18 and started driving a chemical tanker when I was 22. I had almost 5 years driving experience and map reading skills by then though

Best of luck and a training diary is compulsory on these forums :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Since the Young Driver Scheme finished and we moved in line with the EU. It is open to anyone who is 18 provided you meet the medical standard and you spent your last year at school dealing drugs or had a bloody good paper round :stuck_out_tongue:

It may cost you upwards of 2000k to get your C+E (Articulated Vehicle Licence) :open_mouth:

Looking on the bright side, when I did my class one all those years ago, it cost me a months wages too :wink:

I wonder about the wisdom of allowing Corsa drivers in a 44tonner, but then again I had a Lotus Cortina when I was 18 and started driving a chemical tanker when I was 22. I had almost 5 years driving experience and map reading skills by then though

Best of luck and a training diary is compulsory on these forums :laughing:

I wonder about the wisdom of allowing Corsa drivers in a 44tonner

It is worrying that some of the idiots you see flying about these days would be entitled to (with the right license obviously) driving a 44 tonner, that being said I don’t think any of the bangers would pass the test :laughing:

Thanks! I definitely plan to keep everyone very much up to date on my progress when I eventually start, it wont be for at least another 4-5 months yet till I get some financial backing. The company my dad works for said there would probably be an opportunity to take me on so I’m hoping that he might fork out or be able to help me cut corners in someway as dad has spent most of his career with this firm and knows him quite well.

Sam Millar:
Hi Guys,

Not really on how to word this but I guess I’ll give it a shot. I’m 18 this year and I plan on going for my lorry license, now I say lorry license because I’m not quite sure what I can drive at 18. There are so many ifs and buts but I was wondering if anyone my age who has passed or maybe some of the old timers could help.

What I’ve gathered so far:

To drive a Category C Vehicle, you must:

-Be 18 years old or over.
-Have a medical from either your own doctor or we have a doctor who can do this for a reduced fee
-Apply for a Provisional LGV Licence // How much does this cost?
-Pass three Theory Tests: // // How much does this cost?
Test 1: 100 Multiple Choice Questions
Test 2: Hazard Perception
Test 3: Case Study Test

After the theory…

Once you have passed the theory tests you are ready for the Practical Training and Test.

When all of this has been passed…You may need to take a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) Test. // Does it cost to sit a CPC? How much? If I get myself a CPC and ‘have passed your driving test’, the direct.gov website then says I can drive a C+E at 18?

Just looking to be pointed in the right direction really, and also how much should I be looking to spend on all of this?

PS; If anyone is looking for clarification on the direct gov website: Direct.Gov Website

Many thanks

I’ve moved your post to this forum, where you’ll find more posters with the answers to your questions. dd. :wink:

Where are you from mate, maybe some of us folk can help you out. If you want to get your HGV licenses I really suggest you do it the ‘free’ way and try find a company willing to take you on for a ‘Driving Goods Vehicle’ apprenticeship. Free hgv training and experience rolled into one. I know hargreaves training offer this apprenticeship because I’ve had 3 offers but had to turn down due to circumstances, So there IS opportunities. It just helps being in the right place right time etc. Also it helps if you know somebody in the ‘know’ but, I won’t go into that.

Do you have anything else behind you other than driving?? Just out of interest. :smiley:

Cheers

Regards

Jonny :sunglasses:

jonnytruckfest:
Where are you from mate, maybe some of us folk can help you out. If you want to get your HGV licenses I really suggest you do it the ‘free’ way and try find a company willing to take you on for a ‘Driving Goods Vehicle’ apprenticeship. Free hgv training and experience rolled into one. I know hargreaves training offer this apprenticeship because I’ve had 3 offers but had to turn down due to circumstances, So there IS opportunities. It just helps being in the right place right time etc. Also it helps if you know somebody in the ‘know’ but, I won’t go into that.

Do you have anything else behind you other than driving?? Just out of interest. :smiley:

Cheers

Regards

I’m from Ayrshire in Scotland mate, and what do you mean about anything else behind me other than driving? :slight_smile:

Sam Millar:

jonnytruckfest:

Cheers

Regards

I’m from Ayrshire in Scotland mate, and what do you mean about anything else behind me other than driving? :slight_smile:

Do you have a trade behind you, Mechanics, brick laying, carpentary. Stuff like that. Not meaning to deter you or sound like a feeble old man ( :wink: Especially with me only being 17, 18 this year!!) but it is basically a good idea to get something behind you first. Many will tell you, I’m just beating the old giffers to it! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Cheers

Not really sure if you could call it a trade but I have different stages in Equestrian teaching, and a HNC in misses management? :smiley: :laughing:

jonnytruckfest:
… I’m just beating the old giffers to it! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

OY!!, I resemble that remark. :grimacing:

All joking aside though, you do have a great point about having some other skill (besides driving) because there can be significant gaps in how often driving opportunities come along at your stage of life.

I hope the gaps don’t happen for you guys, but forewarned is forearmed as they say. :wink:

There was a great opportunity recently for a complete greenhorn to get a free LGV licence on these forums, unfortunately the benefactor changed his own rules at the last moment.

There may be a few more honourable driving schools out there,

Hi Sam

As has been said yes you can do it as long as you pass the medical but getting the job is the hard part as you may know from your dad also due to insurance as they normally say 25 ( although as has been said some can do it earlier )

If you can join your dad company then possibly all the better as with some luck they may put you through it ( although me companies will still expect you to pay )

It may be wise learning a trade before you become a driver just in case or for something to fall back on ( I know I have as worked for 25years in catering )

There are some schemes that you can do that will teach you all ( as far as I know you go to collage do your CPC national & international drivers cpc theory & HPT as well as your Cat C & CE )

dieseldave:

jonnytruckfest:
… I’m just beating the old giffers to it! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

OY!!, I resemble that remark. :grimacing:

:laughing: :laughing: Sorry!! :grimacing:

dieseldave:
All joking aside though, you do have a great point about having some other skill (besides driving) because there can be significant gaps in how often driving opportunities come along at your stage of life.

I hope the gaps don’t happen for you guys, but forewarned is forearmed as they say. :wink:

DD talks sense, It’s better having something behind you because there’s always going to be opportunities for mechanics etc just read my thread i’ve created with my progress! As we speak I’ve been handed an opportunity to work for a rather big company. Hopefully I can work it so when I finish college I can start work. There are many apprenticeships in different areas and are open to us all, 16 - 25 so in my eyes, grab the chance with both hands. You may not get another!! :grimacing:

Always said from since I was a kid that I would try get through it as early as I could and my eyes actually lit up when they reduced the minimum age :laughing:

Anyway, the only thing that really worries me is the fact of how hard it may be to get a job should the company my Dad’s with that they’re no longer interested. Forgot to mention I have some web developing experience also so I wont be stuck, but really there’s nothing more I’d rather be doing than out of the way of everyone in my lorry day to day just doing my job :wink:

Well the earlier you do all the tests the age old having your licence for 2 years might not be such a problem when you finally come to that interview :bulb:

all the best

Jennie x

Jennie:
Well the earlier you do all the tests the age old having your licence for 2 years might not be such a problem when you finally come to that interview :bulb:

all the best

Jennie x

That’s definitely one way to look at it, thanks :slight_smile:

You could always join 1 of the forces lean a trade do your licence ( they will pay for it ) then when you have served several years come back out onto civiy street then you will have your licence & experience as well as a trade