Company Training

Hi, I’m new to the forum but I have always wanted to drive trucks since I was about 4 and I had a go in one.

i’m 18 and have just started the steps in obtaining my class c provisional, however I have just left college and I am still stuck in part time employment and I have a car and a motorbike to run. So money is tight and training is very expensive. I live in the Lincolnshire region and I was wondering if any of you knew any companies that offer to train you, then employ you afterwards? Its frustrating because there are so many HGV jobs available in my area, and I am struggling to find a full time job, which would allow me to get my licences a lot faster.

I’m not 100% sure how the training works for 18 yo, as everywhere says different. apparently the Young Drivers Scheme has been abolished because of the new CPC training? Others say I can drive class 2 at 18 without any restrictions?

Basically my question is what would be the best way to go about getting the licences?

The only company I know of that does train and employ is Stobarts at their Widnes training place but generally it is up to the individual to finance their own training

The unemployed may get some help but that depends on what their local jobcentre has to offer if anything

At age 18 you can legally drive and artic (CE) with no restrictions or extra training etc

Pleas read other recent newbie posts to get a realistic idea of how this industry works for newbies and if you still want to go ahead then read the LGV TRAINING TIPS link in my signature below

Basically my question is what would be the best way to go about getting the licences?

Without a doubt, you are in a good area for work and the situation is easing slowly in many parts of the country. I would suggest you approach some prospective employers and have a face to face conversation to establish whether or not they would consider you at 18. Don’t just ask on the phone. Present yourself and sell yourself. I started with coaches at 18 but only through dogged determination. Nothing changes.

IF there is reasonable hope of employment, then either the car or bike needs to find a new home to release funds for training.

Don’t expect it on a plate; you must get out there and make it happen if this is what you really want.

Good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

yes, there are so many HGV jobs available it’s such a tease. The bike has been up for sale for 6 months without 1 bit of interest, but even if that does sell, the funds have to go back to my grandparents who lent me the money for my car insurance (£2000). I’m hoping to either get training with a company or I’ll most likely have to wait till my compensation from a motorbike accident comes through. I have my provisional forms, don’t suppose you know how long the medical will last? As I can’t guarantee when I’ll be able to do both licences and I don’t want to waste £100 or so on the Medical.

If you pay £100 for a medical, it needs to include a massage as well!

Ring round; you can go to any doctor.

Cheapest I know is with us at a tenner as part of the Starter Pack.

I believe the medical needs to be done within 3 months of the licence application. It’s often a good plan to get the licence (it will expire when you’re 45), do the theory tests when you’re ready (they expire after 2 years).

Maybe your grandparents may help?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Money towards the licences is on my list for santa. It’s abit much to ask them to pay for the full thing.