Getting a licence

Ive done a quick search on here but cant find the info I’m after, if it is here can someone please post a link…thanks…

Anyway, my son has decided he would like to take his cat C licence initially and then go on eventually to C+E.

As some of you know I am a HGV driver with a few years experience in transport (Im 50 now and started in transport at 14 on a butchers bike doing multi-drop :smiley: ) however we dont all know everything.

What Id like to know is the timeline for getting everything done.

What comes first etc is it medical first then licence?, DCPC before lessons?, Can he do some of CPC whilst on course?, does everything have to be done before test?, etc etc.

When I took my test at 21 it was easy , just have a medical and away ya go, so now Im not sure what has to be done 1st,2nd,3rd etc.

Many thanks in advance from someone that doesnt mind admitting he aint got a clue. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Edited to add…ballpark figures on costs would help as well.
Over to you guys…

Medical first, then send the forms off to get the provisional licence.
Then you need to do the theory, hazard perception and cpc case studies tests before you can take the practical driving test.
Then driving training, followed by driving test and cpc mod 4 (its a show and tell test using the truck, and the trainer can either book this on the day of the driving test or during the week of training).
Thats the order I did it in, though spaced out over a year or so due to finances and time

Thanks charliebear , any idea of ballpark figures, I know he can get a medical near us for £40 .guess thats the cheap bit. :unamused:

All you need to know :smiley:
HOW DO I GET A TRUCK LICENCE ?

All in probably somewhere around £1300 to £1800 depending on how many retests, the driving test alone (without truck rental) is £115. Most trainers charge about £250 / £300 for a retest. You’ll find that C+E works out cheaper than getting C, as you just need the driving training and driving test.

Thanks for the info charliebear.mush appreciated.

Rog, many thanks for the link…I’ll get my son reading that lot so he knows what hes in for :smiley:

I’m hopefully going to see my boss at the weekend to see if theres any chance of a yard job for him with a view to taking his tests etc over a couple of years then he’ll get a good grounding into the industry as well. (and also get his licence through the company buckshee :smiley: )

When I done my licence a few years ago the training provider done everything for me so was easy & stress free

Although DVLA did drag there heals on returning my licence ( as you may know it is documented in the Health & family room )

Your son could be looking at approx 3k to do it all