Going for license (teenager)

The old “Get your license then sit on it” for 2 year trick doesn’t work anymore.

I signed up for a new agency last week that wanted a license held for at least two years and at least 6 months continuous driving employment in that time.

Go for it mate, get your license and then sign on with as many agencies as you can in your area. They’ll have you working 7 days (and nights) a week in no time! (you may have to lie to them a bit, but who cares, they are lying to you too!)

Dont lie just be economical with the truth

Agency now like at least 6 mth proven experience

Sam Millar:
Hi Guys,

Not really on how to word this but I guess I’ll give it a shot. I’m 18 this year and I plan on going for my lorry license, now I say lorry license because I’m not quite sure what I can drive at 18. There are so many ifs and buts but I was wondering if anyone my age who has passed or maybe some of the old timers could help.

What I’ve gathered so far:

To drive a Category C Vehicle, you must:

-Be 18 years old or over.
-Have a medical from either your own doctor or we have a doctor who can do this for a reduced fee
-Apply for a Provisional LGV Licence // How much does this cost?
-Pass three Theory Tests: // // How much does this cost?
Test 1: 100 Multiple Choice Questions
Test 2: Hazard Perception
Test 3: Case Study Test

After the theory…

Once you have passed the theory tests you are ready for the Practical Training and Test.

When all of this has been passed…You may need to take a CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) Test. // Does it cost to sit a CPC? How much? If I get myself a CPC and ‘have passed your driving test’, the direct.gov website then says I can drive a C+E at 18?

Just looking to be pointed in the right direction really, and also how much should I be looking to spend on all of this?

PS; If anyone is looking for clarification on the direct gov website: Direct.Gov Website

Many thanks

I’ve moved your post to this forum, where you’ll find more posters with the answers to your questions. dd. :wink:

I’m 19, since passing my class 2 in May i had a hard time finding work. I quit my full-time job and jumped straight in, whent around a few agencies and i did get the “Problem with your age” jargon, found 1 that accepted me and said there wouldnt be a problem, signed up to them and the day after they had found me a job on 18 tonne delivering windows to building sites, also a van job,

Then i was in contact with an agency who my dad knew the manager of, he bypassed their “2 year experience and over 21” rule as had connection, though i was told only 1 company on their books would take me and it was only luton box vans up untill about christmas, So by that time i had commited myself and said ok.

Started on the box vans, gradually got to know transport managers at the company etc and gradually the number of agency van drivers that were there started to dwindle around end of november, Rumours floating about that the contract was ending etc. When on december the 17th i was asked would i like to drive a 7.5t that day. I was shocked and was like “sure!”, about 3 hours in that morning i got a call from the transport office themselves saying that would i consider driving 7.5t lorry for them on a permanent basis but still on the agency so i said yes ofcourse, was amazed, never thought i would have that opportunity so soon especially when i thought that i would be out of a job completely by christmas.

Drove the 7.t up untill the beginning on february, by now all agency drivers had gone bar from 1 7.5t driver and me, and one night i got back and was told by the 2 TM’s who were in the office that i was the last agency they had and they were going to keep me for as long as possible and they kept me as i was the best person they had seen out of everyone that had come through over the previous months and that i would drive the same 7.5t vehicles and would be used as cover on 18tonne jobs when a driver rang in sick or holiday. I was gobsmacked, then shockingly around mid feb i got a phone call from Robert wisemans to say would i like to come for an interview regarding a C.V i handed in back in November.

I said yes, went in that morning as i was off, did the assessment, did the tests and interview and they offered me the job on the spot. So now 10 months after passing, at 19 i have a full-time permanent job driving 26 tonne milk floats lol.

The point of this is, no matter what people say, yes there are huge risks in doing these things, but it may just pay off, if you want to be a lorry driver go for it and no matter what age or experience as others have said on this forum with stories like mine there is a chance that it may happen. Join a few agencies and make an impression with the companies or company you are put with and it may work out for you, Dont snub if you are given a job that isnt what you ideally want to do as its only temporary. I never wanted to drive box vans but i did and that opened door into bigger things. Hand out C.V’s like confetti and it may just be you get a reply and that reply is your ticket into full-time experience.

In total over past 10 months i have had 3 interviews, and many C.V’s sent out, 1 of them i was told its not your age as we hired a 19 year old last year just lack of experience, by that point i had driven two weeks on box vans. The other one wasnt good enough to give a reason and the third i was given the job, So from someone with first hand experience, it can happen!

Hi Sam,

You are pretty much spot on in what you have said in the OP. Get a Provisional Licence Form with a Medical Form. Go to your local GP and get the medical done, I paid £80 I think. send off your Provisional Form with Medical and its free to add provisional Cat C entitlement to your licence. Then do your 3 theory tests, I think its around £100 roughly to do the 3 + cost of revision materials. Then do your training and pass the test. Then the final part of the intitial Driver CPC is the demonstration test, (dolly knots, ckecking for contraban and illegal immigrants etc). Job done. Then just do your C+E practical training and test and you have the full house!

Here is a website with all the info you could possibly need and a facility to locate your nearest reputable training provider: hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/. I know the guy who owns and set up the website and its 100%.

If Trucking is what you really want go for it and don’t let anyone stop you, I’m sure there will be plenty who will try, there always is! I had it and still have it every day. I started at 18, got all my licences as well National and International Operator CPC and Full ADR Licence. I was lucky in that my family are in the industry and I was in trucks since I was a kid and so I had some background knowledge of what it was about. But I did everything seperately and on my own which shows it can be done. It’s in my blood and there is nothing I would rather be doing.

Also, don’t mind this rubbish about not getting a job, I started working for an Irish Company and I was straight into a DAF XF480 SSC lit up like a Christmas Tree, fully loaded and Keeping Her Lit! I have now been all over Ireland and UK. I’m 20 now and hopefully going to start Euro Work soon.

Good Luck with everything, it can be a long road to get there with all the tests but when you get there it is all worth it. If you need any advice or have any questions just ask. :smiley:

Get the license first… Good luck anyway, not all 18 year olds are ■■■■■’s behind the wheel, just like not everyone that has 20years experience is any good at driving.

Vastaux:
I’m 19, since passing my class 2 in May i had a hard time finding work. I quit my full-time job and jumped straight in, whent around a few agencies and i did get the “Problem with your age” jargon, found 1 that accepted me and said there wouldnt be a problem, signed up to them and the day after they had found me a job on 18 tonne delivering windows to building sites, also a van job,

Then i was in contact with an agency who my dad knew the manager of, he bypassed their “2 year experience and over 21” rule as had connection, though i was told only 1 company on their books would take me and it was only luton box vans up untill about christmas, So by that time i had commited myself and said ok.

Started on the box vans, gradually got to know transport managers at the company etc and gradually the number of agency van drivers that were there started to dwindle around end of november, Rumours floating about that the contract was ending etc. When on december the 17th i was asked would i like to drive a 7.5t that day. I was shocked and was like “sure!”, about 3 hours in that morning i got a call from the transport office themselves saying that would i consider driving 7.5t lorry for them on a permanent basis but still on the agency so i said yes ofcourse, was amazed, never thought i would have that opportunity so soon especially when i thought that i would be out of a job completely by christmas.

Drove the 7.t up untill the beginning on february, by now all agency drivers had gone bar from 1 7.5t driver and me, and one night i got back and was told by the 2 TM’s who were in the office that i was the last agency they had and they were going to keep me for as long as possible and they kept me as i was the best person they had seen out of everyone that had come through over the previous months and that i would drive the same 7.5t vehicles and would be used as cover on 18tonne jobs when a driver rang in sick or holiday. I was gobsmacked, then shockingly around mid feb i got a phone call from Robert wisemans to say would i like to come for an interview regarding a C.V i handed in back in November.

I said yes, went in that morning as i was off, did the assessment, did the tests and interview and they offered me the job on the spot. So now 10 months after passing, at 19 i have a full-time permanent job driving 26 tonne milk floats lol.

The point of this is, no matter what people say, yes there are huge risks in doing these things, but it may just pay off, if you want to be a lorry driver go for it and no matter what age or experience as others have said on this forum with stories like mine there is a chance that it may happen. Join a few agencies and make an impression with the companies or company you are put with and it may work out for you, Dont snub if you are given a job that isnt what you ideally want to do as its only temporary. I never wanted to drive box vans but i did and that opened door into bigger things. Hand out C.V’s like confetti and it may just be you get a reply and that reply is your ticket into full-time experience.

In total over past 10 months i have had 3 interviews, and many C.V’s sent out, 1 of them i was told its not your age as we hired a 19 year old last year just lack of experience, by that point i had driven two weeks on box vans. The other one wasnt good enough to give a reason and the third i was given the job, So from someone with first hand experience, it can happen!

Great Post mate, you will go far, although probably not with Wisemans. :stuck_out_tongue:

Couple of interesting stories in this thread guys and it motivates me to get it done. Hopefully I can start pretty much straight after my birthday, much looking forward to it!

You ever thought of seeing wisemans about getting your training, I know they’ve put people through it. Better still, go through every company you know of thats local to you. say with in a 20-50 mile radius. And knock on the doors and ask them if they would consider putting you through training. Hand you’re CV over and what not, and hope for the best. If i get this apprenticeship with Norbet Dentressangle, First question I’m going to ask on the interview. ‘HGV Training’ :wink: You won’t know unless you try!!! :grimacing:

Best of luck with it mate. Keep us posted on your progress. :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

jonnytruckfest:
You ever thought of seeing wisemans about getting your training, I know they’ve put people through it. Better still, go through every company you know of thats local to you. say with in a 20-50 mile radius. And knock on the doors and ask them if they would consider putting you through training. Hand you’re CV over and what not, and hope for the best. If i get this apprenticeship with Norbet Dentressangle, First question I’m going to ask on the interview. ‘HGV Training’ :wink: You won’t know unless you try!!! :grimacing:

Best of luck with it mate. Keep us posted on your progress. :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Dropped you a couple of lines Jonny.

Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard Wiseman take on people my age and put them through their licenses etc, will give them a call and see what they say.