Going Dutch

After speaking to a couple of drivers (both UK and Dutch) there is a certain Dutch firm i am considering working for
Now at this stage im not prepared to name which firm it is (for reasons that probably only make sense to me)
But i would greatly appreciate any comments on Dutch firms you may have dealt with or heard about from other drivers…

Lack off sleep for a start

will send u a pm

going by past experiences…they want their pound of flesh…take the dutch company who is currently advertising for drivers for their tank fleet…
quote must be away all week…and prepared to work weekends…so a 7 day week there then…unless you want a nice shiny new red Volvo gobstopper…with eagles wings on the side…money is not all that either.

My son in law lives and works in Holland…they still run as bent as a nine bob note…want you to work all hours…speeds…weights…etc…so my advice would be …to ask them first what is expected of you…then its your choice…but although you will drive a dutch registered truck…your licence is english…and therefore…you will be liable to lose it…

pretty negative so far then…
The only thing is the firm i have in mind hasnt been mentioned yet will watch this thread for a while longer yet…

truckyboy:
going by past experiences…they want their pound of flesh…take the dutch company who is currently advertising for drivers for their tank fleet…
quote must be away all week…and prepared to work weekends…so a 7 day week there then…unless you want a nice shiny new red Volvo gobstopper…with eagles wings on the side…money is not all that either.

My son in law lives and works in Holland…they still run as bent as a nine bob note…want you to work all hours…speeds…weights…etc…so my advice would be …to ask them first what is expected of you…then its your choice…but although you will drive a dutch registered truck…your licence is english…and therefore…you will be liable to lose it…

sounds like the firm wheelnut has just started for.

Anyone wanting to drive a Dutch truck would be advised to do so on a Dutch licence, which in itself wouldn’t be too difficult to obtain with a little help from your employer, if its the same as Germany, all you need is an address in the country. I would be very reluctant to drive a Dutch truck on a British licence purely because we risk losing our licence for practically anything, things most Dutch companies will expect as the norm, not the exception. Another thing to bare in mind is that if you want to adhere to the WTD then don’t work for the Dutch, you’ll be driving a Dutch registered truck and the WTD can only be enforced in the country of registration so a Dutch truck that spends 95% of its time here can do as it pleases so long as it stays within the EU tacho regs, which again they usually don’t, and hence why the need to drive on a non-British licence is essential although should you then want to revert back to your British licence at a later time, I’m not sure what your position would be, wether the offences you commited under your Dutch licence would be waiting for you at Swansea or not.

Theres me getting an arse kicking for slagging off the Polish every time they are mentioned but its ok for some to generalise and say the Dutch are bent as 9 bob notes…

P.S. DONT call them Dutch its an insult call them Hollanders the Dutch word goes back to the 2nd world war and was the name the Germans gave them they really dont like being called Dutch!!!..

jammymutt:
P.S. DONT call them Dutch its an insult call them Hollanders the Dutch word goes back to the 2nd world war and was the name the Germans gave them they really dont like being called Dutch!!!..

:confused: AFAIK Holland is just a region of the Netherlands so surely Hollanders would also be incorrect, although I don’t know whether Dutch is an insult.

that is correct holland is a part of the netherlands - the oens i met say they are dutch so i dunno

reef did u get my pm?

if u let me know the company i might be able to find out for you

jammymutt:
Theres me getting an arse kicking for slagging off the Polish every time they are mentioned but its ok for some to generalise and say the Dutch are bent as 9 bob notes…

Enjoy it while you can mate! It can’t be too much longer before opinions are illegal and everything has to be backed up with written evidence, free speech and free flowing thoughts and ideas are becoming a thing of the past in Britain. There are words in this country to bring down anyones ideas, usually ending with ‘ist’ of ‘phobic’…I think I’ll have to go live with the Hollanders.

robinhood_1984:
Enjoy it while you can mate! It can’t be too much longer before opinions are illegal and everything has to be backed up with written evidence, free speech and free flowing thoughts and ideas are becoming a thing of the past in Britain. .

AAHHHH freedom of speech Europe and Phony Bliar eh?.

will people refrain from saying that themajority of the firms from holland are of
ill repute,where is you evidence, how many firms have had their licence in the UK withdrawn i can count only 2 ,and why we are about it what about
the germancompanys that no longer have a base in the UK I know of 2
in fact their UK lorrys are now useing german plates inregards to one of these 2…now how about the French a large certain company i do belive
does not have any firms bar 1 left and that runs in a different name to the
mother conmpany.now i am not too clued up but their are a few companys
from the UK who act just like those indicated but no one has said any thing about them,
AS regards the NEDERLANDS they pay good money but will ask you to earn this money,also in Holland the equiverlent of VOSA does more and
stricter checks by the offices of transport firms as it does roadside checks.
andthe fines are high when found out, please not all fims are running bent

This is obviously the way the Dutch, Netherlands firms work then because Trucky said so :stuck_out_tongue: because his son in law lives there :confused:

I think its Thursday as I write this, Im at home and have been since 14.30, I had last weekend away with a minimum 24 and am not back at work till Sunday.

Wheel Nut:
I think its Thursday as I write this,.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Yeh its definately Thursday if i was doing that much work i forgot what day it is i wouldnt be doing it…:wink::wink:

new job alright then malc.a quick question for ya i picked up a 1:50 scale model of a van den bosh fh globetrotter last week and the fleet number is 0769 i dont suppose theres any chance ya could keep an eye out for it and what trailer it pulls as the one that came with it is a tandem axle box and id like it to be authentic if the truck exsists and the fleet numbers not a made up one.as for dutch firms running bent well we all know about the firm with the white fridges and lets be honest the the boys that deliver the plants n flowers dont hang around but not all dutch firms run bent .reef id say go for it mate :laughing:

i have worked for a dutch company threw an english agent, dutch registerd truck, a nice shade of yellow with blue letters on it,good money very good money and after 10 days you had earnt it :open_mouth:

Carl:
new job alright then malc.a quick question for ya i picked up a 1:50 scale model of a van den bosh fh globetrotter last week and the fleet number is 0769 i dont suppose theres any chance ya could keep an eye out for it and what trailer it pulls as the one that came with it is a tandem axle box and id like it to be authentic if the truck exsists and the fleet numbers not a made up one.as for dutch firms running bent well we all know about the firm with the white fridges and lets be honest the the boys that deliver the plants n flowers dont hang around but not all dutch firms run bent .reef id say go for it mate :laughing:

I will ask around Carl, but 0769 sounds a bit high as the new trucks are numbered in the 600’s and our one and only Kenworth is 500.

New job is ok mate, steady away really, one load a day and a bit of sleep between cleaning and loading.

jammymutt:

it goes way further back than WW2 - the 17th century flying dutchman? and i’ve never met a single cloggie :wink: who objects to the term anyway :question:

jj72:

jammymutt:

it goes way further back than WW2 - the 17th century flying dutchman? and i’ve never met a single cloggie :wink: who objects to the term anyway :question:

Nor me. All my (many) Dutch friends refer to themselves, and originally introduced themselves, that way, although between themselves would probably say Nederlanders. Earliest reference I know of is at the coronation of William (King Billy) and Mary, and that’s 300 odd years ago.
Hollandais is the way the French call them but strictly speaking refers only to those who come from Holland (part of the Netherlands). Ask KitKat if he likes being called English, or me if I want to be called Scottish :laughing:

Salut, David.