Falling interest in TNUK

There appears to have been only 6 posts since Buzzer’s always well received daily and regularly looked forward to :wink: posts but nothing more of consequence since so is this a sign of a general falling off of interest on the TNUK site or just a sign of the times of the “ranks” of the old timers thinning out a bit !Bewick :frowning:

Bewick:
There appears to have been only 6 posts since Buzzer’s always well received daily and regularly looked forward to :wink: posts but nothing more of consequence since so is this a sign of a general falling off of interest on the TNUK site or just a sign of the times of the “ranks” of the old timers thinning out a bit !Bewick :frowning:

Well we have had 20 plus “guests” looking in on the post so what do they think ? Spineless silent [zb]s ! Bewick.

I dont tend to post very much.
I do read most posts though.
Learnt a lot from this forum.

trevorking1964:
I dont tend to post very much.
I do read most posts though.
Learnt a lot from this forum.

Well Trev if nobody posted anything there would nothing for the “guests” to read so how do you explain that !? Bewick.

I have got to agree with you Dennis, it does seem a bit quite in here this week. :frowning:

Some posters have already mentioned this before, but maybe we do need a ‘like’ button.

The argument against it in the past has been that some people would just click on the ‘like’ button and not comment on the post, but I know of at least one Trucknet member who stopped contributing on here because he did wonder if anybody ever read his posts.

Maybe ‘the mods’ should give it a trial on this thread for about a month, just to see how it goes.

I am sure that Buzzer would get a lot of ‘thumbs up’ for all the time and hard work that he puts into this thread to keep it going and for some of us to show, that it really is appreciated.

Bewick:
Well we have had 20 plus “guests” looking in on the post so what do they think ? Spineless silent **** s ! Bewick.

Have you been reading “How To Make Friends And Influence People”?

Will posts like that will make any watchers or sideline readers what to join a friendly, happy crew here?

Edit to remove ****!

My default setting especially if i am on my work laptop is signed out, so i would be included as one of the guests. I look on Trucknet most days i can and still find it interesting and very informative and long may it continue.
I am not a prolific poster but as i am doing now i will log in and post or comment on a subject, sometimes the answer to a question has been answered before i can, as there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here.
Another site that i am on for model truck building is also very quiet and same questions have been asked as here.
I have finally had to succumb to F!!!book really to help with a vehicle restoration project and it has been a decent source of information, but i am still not a massive fan, can be a lot of stupid comment’s and the like button for me makes it an easy but lazy way to respond to a photo article etc.

Bring back the BEWICK thread then, that was always well received. Certainly missed by many I’m sure.

Bewick:

Bewick:

Well we have had 20 plus “guests” looking in on the post so what do they think ? Spineless silent C—t s ! Bewick.

Saying guests and possibly new members are “spineless silent ■■■■■” doesn’t really sound all that inviting, does it…? :unamused:

The acid test would be if we had the means to find out how many new members ever post anything I guess. I don’t know if that’s possible without a lot of hard work but it would at least give some info as to the future of the forum. I for one would miss it if it disappeared. At my age all I have are memories :laughing: :laughing:

pv83:
Saying guests and possibly new members are “spineless silent [zb]” doesn’t really sound all that inviting, does it…? :unamused:

+1
I’m sure there are phases of activity in TN, just like in any situation, but I’m with the rest of you on the point of insulting people not being conducive to interest levels.

I think it’s better without a “like” button, these make people post just to get “likes”, plus if you see a particular person has “liked” a post that you staunchly disagree with, it changes your view of the “liker”. Or at least that’s my experience of FB and Linked In (even though I only rarely look at that pointless brag-fest of tedium).

Incidentally, I look at TN just about daily, and I’ve no idea who or what this refers to

Buzzer’s always well received daily and regularly looked forward to :wink: posts

(also I’ve still no idea who or what “Saviem” is or was), so I think a broader metric of interest or popularity is needed than just interest in one poster.

I only read the actual topics that interest me so can only comment on those really. I am logged in most of the time though, apart from when we are away from home like now so need to log back in daily. Personally I only know a handful of members on here and I seem to post more than they do, maybe they have a more active lifestyle than me (at least two are still working) so don’t have the time or inclination to spend as long on here! :slight_smile:

Pete.

robthedog:
Bring back the BEWICK thread then, that was always well received. Certainly missed by many I’m sure.

Thanks for the kind comment Rob :smiley: But as for resurrecting the Bewick thread as the saying goes it’s a case of “Slim and no chance” and Slim just left town ! :wink: Regards Dennis.

Franglais:

Bewick:
Well we have had 20 plus “guests” looking in on the post so what do they think ? Spineless silent C—t s ! Bewick.

Have you been reading “How To Make Friends And Influence People”?

Will posts like that will make any watchers or sideline readers what to join a friendly, happy crew here?

Well at least my " throw away" post has generated a fair response ! But whether it will stimulate and encourage additional comment from the silent majority may be very doubtful ! :unamused: :frowning: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Bewick:

I try to keep the Bedfordshire one active but only get a handful of comments, I’ll keep drip feeding any photos I find though.

For a ‘throw away’ thread, Bewick’s new thread has at least produced some thoughtful comments. :sunglasses:

Like jshequis, my default laptop position is ‘signed out’ so I only sign in if I’ve got something to say.

The subject of silent observers is a hazy one. I was a silent observer for some years before I signed up and started contributing. The thing is, I always thought if you’ve nowt to say, don’t say it. But having signed up and contributed one post, I found that I’d got lots more to say and still more to ask. Thousands of posts later (in aggregate) I’m still at it.

The subject of ‘like’ buttons is just as hazy. Personally, I wouldn’t use one because I feel that they’re for children. But I often do respond to posts I like, or agree with, by replying with a ‘+1’ or a :smiley: . More often than not, by doing this I feel able to add a little comment as well, which makes this method of response more worthwhile than a ‘like’ tick.

TN has slowed down a fair bit since the soshal meeja took orf big style, but we’re still producing a lot of good material and an awful lot less crap than we used to IMHO.

Another thing is that the generation who ‘grew up’ with TruckNet are growing older; and maybe an older, wiser and more thoughtful forum for truckers ain’t such a bad thing in the end.

Ro

I have read and posted over the years but have noticed that when someone posts a 'delicate’or ‘sensitive’ subject how quickly it descends into vitriol or criticism or after a handfull of posts goes off at a completely different tangent.Maybe people are tired of all that and just want to go back to the original trucknet where we just talked and tried to help or understand each others point of view.

hutpik:
I have read and posted over the years but have noticed that when someone posts a 'delicate’or ‘sensitive’ subject how quickly it descends into vitriol or criticism or after a handfull of posts goes off at a completely different tangent.Maybe people are tired of all that and just want to go back to the original trucknet where we just talked and tried to help or understand each others point of view.

The original TN was vastly worse than it is today, with little moderation going on and pages and pages of nutters slagging each other off. Try the first 100 pages of the Astran thread for starters! :open_mouth:

That may have been so but the amount of unnecessary slagging off of each other and the vitriol used goes beyond ‘normal’ debate in many cases and is not worthy of the forum.As is how the subjects get twisted out of recognition in many cases.

ERF-NGC-European:

hutpik:

The original TN was vastly worse than it is today, with little moderation going on and pages and pages of nutters slagging each other off. Try the first 100 pages of the Astran thread for starters! :open_mouth:

I kinda miss the days with the likes of Contraflow constantly ripping the ■■■■ and Dipper Dave with his double entendres. That was banter now its more vitriolic like ERF says. Is that a sad indictment of the way we are going in society? Rather sit on your arse poking fun at peoples misfortunes and pointing a camera at them, rather than go and help someone not make the mistake in the 1st place… I think so.