Is the TNUK site "going down the tubes"?

Just posing the question which may not be welcomed in some quarters i.e. The Mods hut ! but it does seem to be extremely quiet from times I recall that the site was literally “bouncing” with craic and comment ! many others will no doubt disagree and have an opposite opinion to mine ! Cheers Bewick.PS Bullys here we come ! :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There are definately alot of member’s that just view and dont contribute anything which is a shame. :unamused:

I don’t go on the UK Professional Drivers Forum on here much because if you post a question the majority of the replies are immature and unhelpful
It makes me wonder how many of these so called “Drivers” are professional
I much prefer the Old time Lorries and Companies Forum as it seems to me a better site to discuss things
I try and post things and comment on articles unfortunately my ex wife has binned my photos of the lorries I’ve driven and all the photos of the Seddon Atkinson I restored right from the start of renovation till the end
I don’t mind sharing this i suffer with bipolar disorder so sometimes I don’t comment on here I just like to look through topics especially the Paul Gee Photo Collection site
We all know the certain poster who hijacks most topics so I don’t comment on those topics

Mostly down to 2 posters who are fixated by Brexit and COVID , with all the rubbish they post
But the ever entertaining Dozy I still read [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my truck

I view the ‘professional’ site every few days but a lot of posts wind me up a little so aren’t good for my BP! :unamused: It appears to be a wholly different world to when I was driving, there doesn’t appear to be much ‘give and take’ nowadays and it’s all ‘how much I can get out of the gaffer without putting too much in’ or that’s how it seems to me? :confused: Maybe the days of gaffers who appreciated what you did and looked after you and your families interests in return have gone now, I don’t know? So I only really look at the ‘oldies’ site now, I don’t read every topic but can still contribute occasionally. I don’t bother with ‘bullys’ much now as that’s become rather like facebook.

Pete.

Well Im on TNUK a lot, I prefer the old days when drivers were freindly and helpful among eachother, There was a small minority that were called workie tickets in those days :exclamation: Plus I enjoy the great photos that are posted, Its nice also to chat to drivers that one knew from 50 years ago., Regards Larry. This was taken 1960 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I agree that its quiet on here but also on the fb groups too apart from the standard photo theives.
I try to log on at least once a day but my interest is quite targeted to a small number of fleets mainly related to my Lovells wharf thread so i know im not what you call a regular contributor.

Think we all miss the Bewick thread though.

Bewick:
Just posing the question which may not be welcomed in some quarters i.e. The Mods hut !

Hi Dennis,

I’m not sure why you’d think that a perfectly good question wouldn’t be welcome. :confused:

Bewick:
… but it does seem to be extremely quiet from times I recall that the site was literally “bouncing” with craic and comment ! many others will no doubt disagree and have an opposite opinion to mine !

You’re quite right Dennis, TN used to be ‘bouncing’ with craic and comment, but things and people change over time.

These days, people have things to occupy their minds that they didn’t have 12 months ago. :bulb:

Bewick:
… PS Bullys here we come ! :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m not sure why you’d think your post would end up in Bully’s when it’s clearly a relevant and useful feedback question. :open_mouth:

The Moderator log shows that a Mod moved your topic (quite correctly) to this forum two days ago.

:bulb: It’s a good job that we have a Mod Team because some people don’t use the forum index page before posting to the relevant forum for their topic, so that’s why their posts then need moving. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: </TIC mode> :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Cockney Pete3:
I agree that its quiet on here but also on the fb groups too apart from the standard photo theives.
I try to log on at least once a day but my interest is quite targeted to a small number of fleets mainly related to my Lovells wharf thread so i know im not what you call a regular contributor.

Think we all miss the Bewick thread though.

Some of the FB groups still seem to be quite busy but there’s that definite core of “photo hoovers” whom I could (but shan’t) name. Some just ignore any comments about it, one or two are quite aggressive about it. Unfortunately, some have been lifted from TN. One or two of the serial hoovers crop out Paul C Gee’s watermarks, for instance.

I don’t manage to get on every day, but that’s mainly because my “day” job often spills over into the evenings too, having to deal with people in other time zones

Bewick:
Just posing the question which may not be welcomed in some quarters i.e. The Mods hut ! but it does seem to be extremely quiet from times I recall that the site was literally “bouncing” with craic and comment ! many others will no doubt disagree and have an opposite opinion to mine ! Cheers Bewick.PS Bullys here we come ! :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dennis,
I agree it has gone very quiet to what it used to be, I suppose with some members sadly passing away and others having told their stories etc they have nothing more to contribute. The vintage rally scene has been a non starter for over a year now so I suppose that has has an effect as well.
Mod’s,
Why has this thread been ‘hidden away’, I know it is a feedback forum but I would have thought more people would have seen it in the Old Timers forum and commented giving feedback to Dennis’s question or don’t the Mods/site owners want any feedback?

IMHO I would have thought that the difficulties the UK is currently experiencing would have more than likely generated more activity on the likes of TNUK----- apparently not so ! This is the only social media platform I use so I wouldn’t know if any of the more trivial sites have seen a drop in activity and here again with many of the population in various states of lockdown I would have assumed that activity “down in the swamps” would have increased a great deal ! What do I know :blush: :unamused: :wink: ’ eff all I guess ! Bewick.

Bewick:
IMHO I would have thought that the difficulties the UK is currently experiencing would have more than likely generated more activity on the likes of TNUK----- apparently not so ! This is the only social media platform I use so I wouldn’t know if any of the more trivial sites have seen a drop in activity and here again with many of the population in various states of lockdown I would have assumed that activity “down in the swamps” would have increased a great deal ! What do I know :blush: :unamused: :wink: ’ eff all I guess ! Bewick.

Best stick to this one, Dennis - your little brother is rampant on Facebook with his ■■■■■■■ hat on…

Some of this may apply here, i don’t use twitface which is just as well as they’d have banned me ages ago.

Lots of things have changed in the world in the last year, for a number of years really if you’ve been awake but the last year has been especially awful for many, and that’s reflected in many ways including how people communicate.

People are affected to varying degrees, some are terrified for their very lives, some are worried about what the future holds for them and their children, operation fear is working just as they knew it would, it always has, dumping the mainstream media is the quick solution till they come up with the mass broadcasting method that can’t be switched off.

In some cases lifelong friendships have been destroyed because they have a disgreement about the current situation, absurd? yes it is, but when people are genuinely frightened, or convinced by others that those who disagree are an actual enemy they display the strangest emotions, i wish people could see that this is exactly what the political class wants, a divided people distrusting one another so reliant on the state, a force that is not your friend.

You wouldn’t think any of this ■■■■■■■■ would affect something as innocent as a lorry drivers/owners/enthusiasts forum, but these days nothing is safe from the damage being deliberately wreaked on our society, the next few years as this develops things will get progressively worse.
Some other forums have been ruined for many by intrusion of the political divide into all sorts of discussions (climate/covid ■■■■■■■■ just two prime examples), when a place becomes an echo chamber for one type of view it loses its appeal because many dare not offer an opinion at all lest its the wrong one.

Thankfully lorry people are usually made of stronger stuff and our industry is a broad church so lets hope we can keep this place a site for genial banter and sensible discussion allowing everyone to have their views heard without the nastiness and deliberate and encouraged silencing of different opinions that’s rapidly infecting the outside world.

Juddian:
Some of this may apply here, i don’t use twitface which is just as well as they’d have banned me ages ago.

Lots of things have changed in the world in the last year, for a number of years really if you’ve been awake but the last year has been especially awful for many, and that’s reflected in many ways including how people communicate.

People are affected to varying degrees, some are terrified for their very lives, some are worried about what the future holds for them and their children, operation fear is working just as they knew it would, it always has, dumping the mainstream media is the quick solution till they come up with the mass broadcasting method that can’t be switched off.

In some cases lifelong friendships have been destroyed because they have a disgreement about the current situation, absurd? yes it is, but when people are genuinely frightened, or convinced by others that those who disagree are an actual enemy they display the strangest emotions, i wish people could see that this is exactly what the political class wants, a divided people distrusting one another so reliant on the state, a force that is not your friend.

You wouldn’t think any of this ■■■■■■■■ would affect something as innocent as a lorry drivers/owners/enthusiasts forum, but these days nothing is safe from the damage being deliberately wreaked on our society, the next few years as this develops things will get progressively worse.
Some other forums have been ruined for many by intrusion of the political divide into all sorts of discussions (climate/covid ■■■■■■■■ just two prime examples), when a place becomes an echo chamber for one type of view it loses its appeal because many dare not offer an opinion at all lest its the wrong one.

Thankfully lorry people are usually made of stronger stuff and our industry is a broad church so lets hope we can keep this place a site for genial banter and sensible discussion allowing everyone to have their views heard without the nastiness and deliberate and encouraged silencing of different opinions that’s rapidly infecting the outside world.

A most thoughtful post, if I may say. I use Facebook only for lorries and music, and nothing more, and I never engage in any of the divisive political stuff there. Media technology has given a platform like never before to those with highly irrational and rabidly vehement views, much of it based on false information of whatever source. The transport industry has been built on people hewn of stronger stuff, as you say.

Bewick:

Having just fixed my machinery, I’m back! Probably to some people’s annoyance?
IF ( and only “if”) it’s going down the tubes it could be because some former regulars have given up their own threads. Just my opinion, of course!

pete smith:
Mod’s,
Why has this thread been ‘hidden away’, I know it is a feedback forum but I would have thought more people would have seen it in the Old Timers forum and commented giving feedback to Dennis’s question or don’t the Mods/site owners want any feedback?

TBF if it went in the Old Timers forum, then those who only post in the PDF or Bullys and never look in Old Timers could equally say it’s been hidden away. I’m not saying that is how you use the forum, but there a folks that only look at a few parts and ignore the rest. The Feedback forum gives us the happy medium for these types of questions, not perfect but it works for us.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

Having just fixed my machinery, I’m back! Probably to some people’s annoyance?
IF ( and only “if”) it’s going down the tubes it could be because some former regulars have given up their own threads. Just my opinion, of course!

You just behave yourself and keep off that lock down apple juice! Welcome back ROF.

Colingl:

pete smith:
Mod’s,

TBF if it went in the Old Timers forum, then those who only post in the PDF or Bullys and never look in Old Timers could equally say it’s been hidden away. I’m not saying that is how you use the forum, but there a folks that only look at a few parts and ignore the rest. The Feedback forum gives us the happy medium for these types of questions, not perfect but it works for us.

Fair point Colingl, Thank you for the reply.

pete smith:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,
I agree it has gone very quiet to what it used to be, I suppose with some members sadly passing away and others having told their stories etc they have nothing more to contribute. The vintage rally scene has been a non starter for over a year now so I suppose that has has an effect as well.
Mod’s,

Hi Pete,

Colingl has answered your post just above but I’d like to chuck in another 2p worth on your “hidden away” comment…

Some people (no slight intended!) don’t seem to realise that this site has an index page here:

Trucknet UK (Notice the word “index.”)

If a member logs in and lands on that page, they can see the titles and descriptions of the various forums, then choose which forum (subject matter) they wish to read/contribute to.

Those who habitually inhabit the Old Time forum (and there’s nothing wrong in that!) must realise that it is one of many forums, and not a free-for-all or ‘anything goes’ forum.
That forum does what it says on the tin… it’s for Old Time stuff.

An example of what we’re trying to convey here is contained in Dennis’s OP in which he expressed what he thought our reaction to his post would be, as well as where he thought it would end up. Of course, Dennis is entitled to his view, but he was incorrect on that occasion.

The Mod/Admin Team will continue to look at the big picture (the index page :wink: ) and move posts to where they think they belong, so I guess that what I’m saying (in the nicest possible way of course) is that the management reserves the right to manage. :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

dieseldave:

pete smith:

Bewick:

Hi Dennis,
Mod’s,

Hi Pete,

Colingl has answered your post just above but I’d like to chuck in another 2p worth on your “hidden away” comment…

Some people (no slight intended!) don’t seem to realise that this site has an index page here:

Trucknet UK (Notice the word “index.”)

If a member logs in and lands on that page, they can see the titles and descriptions of the various forums, then choose which forum (subject matter) they wish to read/contribute to.

Those who habitually inhabit the Old Time forum (and there’s nothing wrong in that!) must realise that it is one of many forums, and not a free-for-all or ‘anything goes’ forum.
That forum does what it says on the tin… it’s for Old Time stuff.

An example of what we’re trying to convey here is contained in Dennis’s OP in which he expressed what he thought our reaction to his post would be, as well as where he thought it would end up. Of course, Dennis is entitled to his view, but he was incorrect on that occasion.

The Mod/Admin Team will continue to look at the big picture (the index page :wink: ) and move posts to where they think they belong, so I guess that what I’m saying (in the nicest possible way of course) is that the management reserves the right to manage. :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

That last sentence got me thinking DieselDave, does that mean that mods can “cover up” their tracks if a certain answer doesn’t suit them? As I could swear I’ve seem some posts where one of the mods deleted their answer/post afterwards. Not sure why, but it does look suspicious to me.