An observation

It may just be my impression but at the risk of being ex-communicated do I detect that the this TN site is currently failing to attract the same level of interest it has done over previous years ? :blush: Bewick.

I suggest that itā€™s because we havenā€™t discussed any contentious topics for some time. We need a thread that will grab Carryfastā€™s attention so that he can get some serious debate underway :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . But then againā€¦perhaps not. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Carryfast is fully occupied giving advice to all and sundry on Bullyā€™s Truckstop Bar Forum concerning the 2015 Election Exit Poll . Long may it keep him occupied. :unamused: :laughing:

I fear that much of the ground has been covered already. The hidden gems of history are becoming more difficult to find. Inspiring new people to impart their knowledge is the key, whether they subscribe to the forum themselves, or simply pass their photographs and memories on to an existing poster.

[zb]
anorak:
I fear that much of the ground has been covered already. The hidden gems of history are becoming more difficult to find. Inspiring new people to impart their knowledge is the key, whether they subscribe to the forum themselves, or simply pass their photographs and memories on to an existing poster.

Personally, I think there is an everlasting trove of historical gems to interest us. Could a dip in TNUK activity merely reflect a shift to the Facebook topical scene? Many appear to think that their posts are less public on FB. Iā€™ll bet ā€˜Intelligenceā€™ is way more interested in Facebook than dear old frank, open and transparent TNUK!

TNUK, in any case, already comprises a terrific bank of information about trucks, driving, transport law, transport lore, lorry culture etc etc. It now provides a strong structure, through its established threads, for depositing useful (and useable) historic transport information and pictures for a long time to come. Long live TNUK, I say!

Robert :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The thread now has contributions from two published authors. You have both had to do research by interviewing people on a one-to-one basis, whether face-to-face or by writing. How do you approach people?

The reason I ask is that many of the people who have the information that we like- for example obscure technical details of rare vehicles built before 1960- are of an age at which web forums are science fiction. To obtain the benefit of those peopleā€™s knowledge, the personal approach is best. There is no time to lose, for those people are already dropping like flies.

When I started writing articles in the mid 1980s the internet didnā€™t exist, so any research was done by visiting known archives, such as the University of Warwick and the BCVM, and by approaching companies or individuals. With working in the industry at quite a senior level it certainly opened doors for me. Also by being active in certain preservation clubs such as the AEC Society, it put me into contact with some very knowledgeable people with a lifetimeā€™s experience at the ā€˜sharp endā€™ in companies such as AEC and Leyland. There is a lot of information out there in company archives, but the individuals are becoming fewer and fewer. I think the most satisfying books that I did from a researching viewpoint, and the companies and individuals that contributed to them, were the Gardner book, and the Petroleum Transport book.

Bewick:
It may just be my impression but at the risk of being ex-communicated do I detect that the this TN site is currently failing to attract the same level of interest it has done over previous years ? :blush: Bewick.

Hiya Dennis I sort of agree Iā€™m just approaching my 50th year so Iā€™ve not had the joys of driving lorries in the 60s 70s but Iā€™ve gained a good insight into road haulage with my Dad both Grandads and several uncles all being lorry drivers so I think I gained a lot of advice knowledge and many tips and lessons from riding shotgun in my short time on this planet (Iā€™m still learning)
I donā€™t go on other drivers sites on TNUK as a lot of drivers are more interested in how many Kelsa light bars theyā€™ve got or whose got the best frilly curtains IMO
I find it more interesting on Old lorries as a lot of the topics and banter are better so hopefully we can all come up with some more gems and treasures to keep it going

How about this for a new topic , does anyone think it would be possible to start from scratch and build up a multi vehicle fleet nationwide , I for one think not with so much current legislation , fuel prices and the big players taking the cream of the business

[zb]
anorak:
The thread now has contributions from two published authors. You have both had to do research by interviewing people on a one-to-one basis, whether face-to-face or by writing. How do you approach people?

The reason I ask is that many of the people who have the information that we like- for example obscure technical details of rare vehicles built before 1960- are of an age at which web forums are science fiction. To obtain the benefit of those peopleā€™s knowledge, the personal approach is best. There is no time to lose, for those people are already dropping like flies.

Book-writing and journalism still depend on discovering contacts which lead to visits for interview (either face-to-face or by phone or even email). However, forums like the Old Timersā€™ one does lead to all sorts of net-working. When I was writing the book (and even now) it was surprising the number of people who PMā€™d me with information, which led to an exchange of emails and more direct communication. I also bump into such people at truck shows where the personal exchange of information is invaluable.

You also have to be a bit brazen sometimes and just ā€˜cold callā€™, which is exactly what I did for some of my info for the book. Robert

ramone:
How about this for a new topic , does anyone think it would be possible to start from scratch and build up a multi vehicle fleet nationwide , I for one think not with so much current legislation , fuel prices and the big players taking the cream of the business

I think that it would even be a struggle starting up a local based fleet from scratch these days? In our area several ā€˜one man bandsā€™ expanded during the 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s (mostly with tipperā€™s I admit) but a few years later as driverā€™s left/retired they and the vehicles were not replaced and so they returned to just one or two vehicles. Some are still operating, others are long gone. The older established haulierā€™s, B.J Waters, Matlock Transport etc are keeping going though.

I was tempted to have a go myself when Tilcon sold the lorries off in the early 90ā€™s and offered driverā€™s and employees first refusal on them, I had been a fitter and my missus was a book keeper, but I had visions of driving all week and repairing/servicing at weekends and, as we enjoyed getting away in the caravan, decided against it. Still have slight regrets but I was probably a better wage slave than I would have been as an empire builder! :wink:

Pete.

[zb]
anorak:

I think you will find that there is at least six published authors who are frequent contributors on this site, and the site does go quieter as the better weather arrives :unamused:

cheers Johnnie

Hello Den

Interesting post ( from a northern heathen that is )ā€¦I think youā€™re right in someways, the problem is actually the post itself.

If itā€™s post specific then that can cause lack of response, i.e. an old small company, (like Bewick Transport for instance) that not many remember and only a few lads left that do, will not generate a lot of replies.
If its truck related, for instance ERF, then yep, a fair few posting, but if itā€™s specific to ERF B series, with ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  180, and RR box, then it lessens the chances. The Saviem thread does fairly well as it contains a lot of things not specifically related to Saviems or French trucks, it recently has had cars, bikes, coaches, classic shows, reservoirs, potatoes, tractors, something there that a lot of people can relate to, so a few join in.
This time of year is also a bad-ish time for posting, a lot of the lads have hobbies that are summer orientated, classic car / truck / bike shows, boats, bikes, caravans, thereā€™s also the gardening, friends and relations visiting, things to do people to see, bla de bla I think there are more posts in the winter months when thereā€™s more time on your hands, especially for us retards, sorry, I mean retired gentlemen. Oh, and sodden computer problems as well, donā€™t forget them !

On a serious note, some people post, then, to add insult, arenā€™t taken seriously, and can, and are, called out as liars, this doesnā€™t help either.
Only the other day I posted up about a 2CV pick up I went to see, the bloke said it was immaculate, when i got there heā€™d taken the original motor out and shoehorned in an 8LXB, with twin turboā€™s and a supercharger blower, said he bought it off a shifty looking geezer with a funny accent, lived near a country called SNP, wherever that is, anyway, immaculate my arse, smoked on start up, the sliding fifth wheel was jammed, and the the red suzi leaked, bloody rip off merchant, and do you know what Den ? No one believed me!

Naaaa, we are all still here mate, plodding on, posting up, donā€™t worry your thread will reach 200ā€¦

Fergie

Could it be that some of the threads are now so long (650+ PAGES for the Welsh hauliers) they take a month or more to read through to see if youā€™re not repeating something already covered 300 or so pages ago. Even on some of the shorter threads by the time youā€™ve read through them youā€™ve forgotten what you wanted to say.
To help shorten the thread length, if you want to quote a previous contribution just quote the relevant section not the whole piece. There are multiple quotes on some threads all showing the same 6 photos with one extra line of comment per contributor.

Edit** In the time it took me to post this the Welsh thread is up to 768 Pages :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

Well gentlemen I have been scratching my head not a wise move nowadays as there aint a lot of hair there to protect it and this usually results in drawing blood, any way I may have come up with a cunning idea more cunning than an educated weasel.
What about a book on any particular operator within the transport field from the past to the present, written by the perpetrator themselves. The book could consist of many chapters from any number of us who have gone from being an OD to building up a successful company big or small even if it never got past two trucks, or someone who has had a life involved in other aspects of the road transport industry such as Saviem per example, then compiled into a finished publication. We would get a very good account of how it was back then with the daily struggles to exist and carry on, the pitfalls, trouble convincing the banks you were going to be the next best thing to sliced bread and of course the successes and failures of which there must have been many of both.
We could get a publisher to edit the input including pictures and compile a suitable publication. Thinking to myself this could be a winner and a lot of people would like to have a copy on there book shelf if done right. When retailed we could donate the money raised to a suitable charity.
Any ways I know you are going to let me know what you think so come on let me hear it from you, Buzzer.

zzarbean:
Could it be that some of the threads are now so long (650+ PAGES for the Welsh hauliers) they take a month or more to read through to see if youā€™re not repeating something already covered 300 or so pages ago. Even on some of the shorter threads by the time youā€™ve read through them youā€™ve forgotten what you wanted to say.
To help shorten the thread length, if you want to quote a previous contribution just quote the relevant section not the whole piece. There are multiple quotes on some threads all showing the same 6 photos with one extra line of comment per contributor.

Edit** In the time it took me to post this the Welsh thread is up to 768 Pages :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley:

You donā€™t have to read the whole thread Ted. Just click on the latest post. Point taken, I do tend to be lazy and quote the whole piece. I will endeavour to mend my ways. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Bewick:

Itā€™s because youā€™ve run out of photos of sheeted trailers Dennis .

Dan Punchard:

Bewick:

Itā€™s because youā€™ve run out of photos of sheeted trailers Dennis .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Fergie47:
Hello Den

Interesting post ( from a northern heathen that is )ā€¦I think youā€™re right in someways, the problem is actually the post itself.

If itā€™s post specific then that can cause lack of response, i.e. an old small company, (like Bewick Transport for instance) that not many remember and only a few lads left that do, will not generate a lot of replies.
If its truck related, for instance ERF, then yep, a fair few posting, but if itā€™s specific to ERF B series, with ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  180, and RR box, then it lessens the chances. The Saviem thread does fairly well as it contains a lot of things not specifically related to Saviems or French trucks, it recently has had cars, bikes, coaches, classic shows, reservoirs, potatoes, tractors, something there that a lot of people can relate to, so a few join in.
This time of year is also a bad-ish time for posting, a lot of the lads have hobbies that are summer orientated, classic car / truck / bike shows, boats, bikes, caravans, thereā€™s also the gardening, friends and relations visiting, things to do people to see, bla de bla I think there are more posts in the winter months when thereā€™s more time on your hands, especially for us retards, sorry, I mean retired gentlemen. Oh, and sodden computer problems as well, donā€™t forget them !

On a serious note, some people post, then, to add insult, arenā€™t taken seriously, and can, and are, called out as liars, this doesnā€™t help either.
Only the other day I posted up about a 2CV pick up I went to see, the bloke said it was immaculate, when i got there heā€™d taken the original motor out and shoehorned in an 8LXB, with twin turboā€™s and a supercharger blower, said he bought it off a shifty looking geezer with a funny accent, lived near a country called SNP, wherever that is, anyway, immaculate my arse, smoked on start up, the sliding fifth wheel was jammed, and the the red suzi leaked, bloody rip off merchant, and do you know what Den ? No one believed me!

Naaaa, we are all still here mate, plodding on, posting up, donā€™t worry your thread will reach 200ā€¦

Fergie

Hiya Dave,hope you are both well and are busy with the B&B !! It was just seeming to me that the thread was ā€œdropping offā€ a bit and I was wondering if the ā€œgreat herdā€ had moved on to posting their bollox on another un-related site :open_mouth: at least my ā€œoboā€ has got responses,various!!,itā€™s probably just me and my fertile imagination Mate ! and the ā– ā– ā– ā–  will hit the fan big style in a short while :wink: PS now that 8LXB 2CV would defo be able to hold itā€™s own at Santa Pod drag track without a doubt just so long as I wasnā€™t strapped into the 'ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  seat :open_mouth: I would think ā€œCFā€ would be our man,what do you think ? :laughing: :laughing: Anyway take care and all the best Dennis.

Dave the Renegade:
You donā€™t have to read the whole thread Ted. Just click on the latest post. Point taken, I do tend to be lazy and quote the whole piece. I will endeavour to mend my ways. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Thatā€™s fine Dave if you are a regular contributor and have a mind like that memory man whoā€™s name Iā€™ve forgotten :blush: and can remember what those previous 750 pages contain.
Hidden in those back pages are reams and reams of priceless contributions which, if you only read the last page, are lost to the world.
Iā€™ve seen threads resurface to which I think I could add a comment only to find on scanning through the back pages that I already posted the comment back in 2010 or whenever.
I think Bewick was asking where the new contributors are, maybe theyā€™re lost in the back pages somewhere. :smiley: :smiley: