Falling interest in TNUK

I tend to stay logged on. I am not a trucker or have been, more an agricultural slant. I have always been interested in lorries ever since I was old enough to recognise one. My interest is really post War to 1980 ish.
My father and Grandfather had lorries on the road from the 1920s to the 70s, in a small way as part of other business.
As and edit, I would say it is quite civilised on here and healthy discussion and sometimes disagreement is not a problem unless it becomes childish and personal. Really if someone does not like what someone posts on a regular basis then best not to respond.

Personally, I think the “lunatic fringe” might have something to do with some people switching off, there’s only so much of that delusional garbage I can cope with.

Zac_A:
Personally, I think the “lunatic fringe” might have something to do with some people switching off, there’s only so much of that delusional garbage I can cope with.

This is fair comment. I believe we’ve lost some very good contributors on here because of it. The problem lies where the lunatic fringe remains savvy enough to remain within the forum rules by not attacking other posters and by not indulging in random crap (yes, we have a ‘random crap’ rule!). The only answer to this teflon-coated contingent is to resist the temptation to reply to them and thus get drawn into the vortex. ‘If you don’t like it, move on’ is a very workable way of navigating TNUK. :wink:

I pass through occaisionally. I agree that a like button or a thumbs up is needed. Like a nod in a conversation. Otherwise, posting something is just firing in to a void, with only people who violently disgree having a motivation to reply.

I like most flick through the forum most days and read the topics which interest me , i do post on the removal wagon topic and use to post on the BRS topic but lost intrest when had no comments back .

I have made some good friends on here and have met up with one or two .

If any topic I miss is Bewicks page :laughing: but I get he is a grumpy old git .

JAKEY:
I like most flick through the forum most days and read the topics which interest me , i do post on the removal wagon topic and use to post on the BRS topic but lost intrest when had no comments back .

I have made some good friends on here and have met up with one or two .

If any topic I miss is Bewicks page :laughing: but I get he is a grumpy old git .

You are so [zb] wrong JAKEY as you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

I think special interest forums struggle now as there’s so many groups on Facebook. You can have all the groups you like for pretty much anything in one place

I think the site is flagging compared to what it used to be and unfortunately most of the photo’s that are put on to the different continuous threads I’ve already seen about half an hour before on another FB Lorry site I visit, only because it is on my small list of sites I run through on FB before checking up on sites on the rest of the internet. Although I check the site every night sometimes it just takes only a minute or two to see if there is anything new or I can add to, and I’m afraid there seems to be getting less content the last few months especially. This could change it may just be an occasional dip that happens now and again. Franky.

My interests are mainly with the spec’s of the various motors and trailers that are posted on TN as well as interest in the decent firms that figure on the site but what I can’t abide is the frivolous bollox that some threads descend into which was one of the reasons I requested that the Bewick thread I started be removed as it really had passed it’s sell by date and had just become a focal point for crappy comments about all and sundry so “Diesel Dave” very kindly agreed to remove the whole thread not just my own posts ! Cheers Bewick.

I’m a member of the same modelling forum that jshepguis mentioned earlier-it’s absolutely dead at the moment and has been for a while-i don’t think it’s ever been that quiet .I think it’s down to Facebook, which is a shame .I won’t use Facebook.
I look in here most days too,and post if I think I can add anything to a thread.

I’ve read all of the above posts with interest, there are a number of very valid points, and they’re well made.

The thing that some posters might not have taken into account is that peoples’ lives, health, interests and circumstances change over time.

There are many reasons that a person may no longer take part in TN, so I don’t think there’s a one size fits all answer to this.

It’s a good discussion even so!! :smiley:

Sadly this forum is going the way of the dodo. But everything changes and at a fast pace these days. I’m rarely online now I have retired but have noticed there are some far more dynamic forums about. TNUK hasn’t changed its format and looks very dated when compared with something like ADV Rider. Maybe Trucknet should go world-wide like the motorcycle forum or at least incorporate a like button to show they are committed to it’s future and not content to let it fade away.

Thank you Dennis !!! I miss you too :laughing:

robthedog:
Bring back the BEWICK thread then, that was always well received. Certainly missed by many I’m sure.

here here!

Bring back the Bewick thread he will bow under pressure just like his old Atkis did , now where’s my tin hat

i really liked and enjoyed the Bewick thread his posts and pics were always very interesting to read from owner driver to his own company

Bewick:

trevorking1964:
I dont tend to post very much.
I do read most posts though.
Learnt a lot from this forum.

Well Trev if nobody posted anything there would nothing for the “guests” to read so how do you explain that !? Bewick.

Explain what?

I merely pointed out that although I don’t post a lot, I do read a lot.
This forum has been a very valuable resource to me over the years, despite the odd knob with a bad attitude.

No longer in the industry myself but i take a keen interest and look in every day, i only add when I’ve seen anything interesting (mainly ERF europeans for Ro) elsewhere, particularly on Facebook.

It does seem a dated way to add photos on tnet now compared to Facebook etc.

Used to love the saviem thread, such knowledge sadly missed, i also added photos to the Bewick thread another of my favourites, great memories from a man building a haulage company from nothing.

Don’t know the answer to falling input, i don’t go on and other truck forums so don’t know what they are like.

What happened to the Bewick thread Dennis? Someone suggested you were writing a book? If you aren’t i hope you will because it would be a great read.

Steve

Dennis Javelin:
The acid test would be if we had the means to find out how many new members ever post anything I guess. I don’t know if that’s possible without a lot of hard work but it would at least give some info as to the future of the forum. I for one would miss it if it disappeared. At my age all I have are memories :laughing: :laughing:

You can do this by clicking on members and then posts. For example, out of 1,713 pages of members, 1,219 have never posted. There are loads more pages with between 1-10 posts. I’ve posted a meagre 261 times in 10 months and I’m on page 1,681. TNUKs search facility is very good but only available to members, so it might be that members can get what they need from searching the forum’s vast number of posts without actually posting.

The TNUK crowd can sometimes be a tough crowd and as an inexperienced know-nothing newbie with lots of questions but little to contribute it can be intimidating. Even experienced, articulate and thoughtful posters like Juddian in a recent post feel the need to pre-empt the “grow a pair” brigade (“and no doubt some of the replies, if any, will reflect contempt for this thread”).

On the other hand, the experience and knowledge demonstrated on this forum and the speed with which it is shared and the willingness to share it is impressive. So even if you do feel intimidated, someone will usually come along and rescue you. I don’t do FB, and as has been mentioned, maybe TNUK is a poor relation in that regard, because so many do. While I occasionally would use a like button, I don’t like the cult-like leader/follower vibe of other platforms so I think TNUK should stay as it is.

I’m surprised there isn’t a regional element to the forum. I personally would like to see an ongoing South West chat thread where local drivers can check in with each other and share tips and advice etc, but there probably aren’t enough active posters in some regions to keep it moving.

The read-only newbie threads are helpful, but what I would also like to read is a “day in the life of a [insert sector of industry here] driver” as jobs across the industry are so varied.

Many first time posters do acknowledge their gratitude to the forum as it is an excellent resource. The challenge in the future is to keep it relevant and attract a new generation of posters so it doesn’t just become an archive. I would miss it too.

vwvanman0:
No longer in the industry myself but i take a keen interest and look in every day, i only add when I’ve seen anything interesting (mainly ERF europeans for Ro) elsewhere, particularly on Facebook.

It does seem a dated way to add photos on tnet now compared to Facebook etc.

Used to love the saviem thread, such knowledge sadly missed, i also added photos to the Bewick thread another of my favourites, great memories from a man building a haulage company from nothing.

Don’t know the answer to falling input, i don’t go on and other truck forums so don’t know what they are like.

What happened to the Bewick thread Dennis? Someone suggested you were writing a book? If you aren’t i hope you will because it would be a great read.

Steve

Well Steve my post certainly has generated some interest and thanks for the kind comment ! It would be quite a daunting task to write a book although I will acknowledge that in my case the trajectory from trailer mate to 100 artics over 30 years was certainly not for the faint hearted but no doubt I am not unique as I’m sure there are others from a bygone era with similar tales to tell. However from what I can see and hear from todays transport industry I would guess it is nigh impossible to replicate what I did back in the day !
I have always enjoyed my involvement on TN over the past 12/13 years as there have been many knowledgeable contributors over the years but sadly many have passed away not to be replaced. You mention “Saviem” real name John Goodried who sadly passed away due to a silly accident now there was a guy who I would suggest had been the most knowledgeable member on TN as he had in his previous time operated at the very top of the french heavy commercial industry as well as running his very successful contract hire business until retirement and becoming a farmer ! Cheers Dennis.