Don't think theres any hope for me lol!

First of I’d like to say hello to everyone I’ve been viewing the site since friday and my accounts finally been accepted :laughing: !

Anyway I’m ex army and now looking for work I have my class 1 hgv plus adr 123 no tanks… I’m mainly looking for class 2 work though as I haven’t done much class 1 since passing in 2006, anyway just went to an agency and failed the tacograph test WTF! I failed on the driver hours like how many hours can you drive over 2 weeks and what not… I haven’t really driven anything bigger than a car for the past 2 years as I transferred from the logistics core to infantry… I never had problems driving and past class 2 and class 1 first time do you guys think its a good idea for me to jump straight back into one? I’m a little worried but only about remembering the gears lol… I’ve got a permanent job to start in 7.5 tonners then work my way to class 1 with experience doing european work I’m just waiting on my passport coming through… The woman down the agency then could of just told me the mistakes rather than saying go do some homework and come back in a couple of days or something I’m only 21 so in the past I had trouble finding work but now I want to start a career in driving that was the whole reason I joined the army in the first place :slight_smile:. Need an apprenticeship or summet I’d work for nothing just to get back on the road lol.

Hello and do try and not get down hearted okay you need to do some home work
and that means going through various forums on here and reading up on stuff also
get your self some books on the rules and regs, they can be down loaded from the
web in some cases, go to the new drivers bit and read what is posted there, then
go down to where it explains in simple form about the rules, Coffeehollic has a
easy way of telling people ,so read his posts,Until you know the tacho rules
better you would be at a disadvantage and possible lose money in fines for
any mistakes, and also your employer gets done as well, this is why people
are being more careful now when taking on new employers,if you can try
and find a firm that likes taking on young drivers , try stobarts but you will
get a test there as well ,let us know how you get one and there will be others
posting their views here later as well

Williams9881:
First of I’d like to say hello to everyone I’ve been viewing the site since friday and my accounts finally been accepted :laughing: !

Hi Williams9881,

I can’t add much to what Pete has written, except to say that the drivers’ hours posts are in the Safety, Law and WTD forum, which you can access by scrolling when you first land on the forum index page. Please feel free to read the drivers’ hours posts in there, then if there are still some doubts- ASK!!

I’d like to wish you good luck!! :smiley:

And I’ve beaten ROG to a welcome hehehe!! :grimacing:

Good luck mate and welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes there’s hope, you’ve got a permanent job to start, which is more than some on here have, so you can move on from that although given your age the Class 1 European job is likely to be some years down the line unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I was in the same position 8 years ago - I did my test in a wag and drag and the only driving I’d done was 4 and 8 tonners pulling a little generator - I didn’t know the first thing about artics, but with help from other drivers (who must have thought I was a complete [zb]wit!) it didn’t take too long to suss it out. Just concentrate and listen to what people tell you.

Have a good read through these forums, ROG will be along soon with some links, some are more useful than others, but learn all of it. Print some stuff out and carry it with you - spend all your spare time reading and re-reading it. If there’s anything you don’t understand (or even think you understand, but aren’t quite sure) ASK, most people are willing to help.

IMO, good jobs to try for would be night trunking (not a lot of traffic so you can concentrate on the driving), shunting (if you can manoeuvre you’ve won half the battle) or even dustcarts - it’s class 2, but you’ll learn a lot about putting big things into small holes :smiley: The other good thing about these is they’re the jobs most people don’t want to do, so they should be a bit easier to get into.

Oh and forget surname and last 4, you don’t need them anymore :wink: :smiley:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Williams9881 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Williams9881:
looking for class 2 work though as I haven’t done much class 1

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips

Williams9881:
just went to an agency and failed the tacograph test WTF! I failed on the driver hours like how many hours can you drive over 2 weeks and what not…

Perhaps these may be of some help :bulb:
EU DRIVER REGS
VOSA GUIDE
RT(WTD)R guide

other links you may find useful
DIGI CARD FORM (Print in colour only)
DIGI TACHO GUIDES

THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC

Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form Please print (colour, not black & white)
£49 MEDICALS
cheap medical places around the UK

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Ayup peeps cheerz for the replies, the company I’ve got a job with doing european work is called gba. There putting me on vans & 7 n halfs to start then said when I feel ready to move up a class they will do it obviously with it being european unless in a van you get a mate to swap over so that would be alright for me to get more confident… As for the tacograph test I rang em back minutes after starting this post to say can I go back down and redo the test I went down and got full marks I looked at a site explaining everything and memorized it lol. Just rang gba they are giving me national work until my passport arrives & trans manager said I’m next on his phone call list for a job :slight_smile:, can’t wait love driving work!

arronls:
I was in the same position 8 years ago - I did my test in a wag and drag and the only driving I’d done was 4 and 8 tonners pulling a little generator - I didn’t know the first thing about artics, but with help from other drivers (who must have thought I was a complete [zb]wit!) it didn’t take too long to suss it out. Just concentrate and listen to what people tell you.

Have a good read through these forums, ROG will be along soon with some links, some are more useful than others, but learn all of it. Print some stuff out and carry it with you - spend all your spare time reading and re-reading it. If there’s anything you don’t understand (or even think you understand, but aren’t quite sure) ASK, most people are willing to help.

IMO, good jobs to try for would be night trunking (not a lot of traffic so you can concentrate on the driving), shunting (if you can manoeuvre you’ve won half the battle) or even dustcarts - it’s class 2, but you’ll learn a lot about putting big things into small holes :smiley: The other good thing about these is they’re the jobs most people don’t want to do, so they should be a bit easier to get into.

Oh and forget surname and last 4, you don’t need them anymore :wink: :smiley:

Lol true thank god :wink:… Whats trunking ( Stupid qustion ), is it just warehouse drop offs and pick ups? Hardest driving job I’ve done this far tbh is concrete mixers, some of the reversing ya have to do is madness… Reversing on farms with mud slides etc is fun though lol and was used to off roading with driving dafs n things like that in the army, least I’ll be driving with air conditioning now :smiley:!

Williams9881:
Whats trunking ( Stupid qustion ),

Truckers Ackronyms & Synonyms
And no question is stupid - you may get stupid answers :wink: :laughing:

Cheers :smiley:

You’ve done well getting a driving job straight away, I also went through what your going through, eg not knowing what to do at RDCs etc, it all soon falls into place.

chester:
You’ve done well getting a driving job straight away, I also went through what your going through, eg not knowing what to do at RDCs etc, it all soon falls into place.

I wouldn’t know how to change a gear in an artic, I did my test in a man wagon and drag then after that drove an automatic army drop truck which was also wagon and drag left hand drive lol… I just hope all falls into place I’m seeing how much I could be earning and have got plans for the coming years and need to start asap, the place I’m starting at are a good firm though I got it because my Dad used to work for em they don’t normally take un experienced euro drivers on.

Welcome ‘ex’ Pongo :stuck_out_tongue:
There is hope, I’ve just got my first driving job, ever. I passed my Class 1 nearly 2 years ago. :unamused:
Before that, no Rigid work in my Area. :frowning:

BTW, ‘ex’ Crab :smiley:

if you gave your location it would have been easier or if you know where you local Good Vehicle testis station is go there ask if they have the book on drivers hours & tach rules for eu drivers btw its free

maybe go down to your local training provider & do an assessment just to refresh your brain

dinosteveus1:
There is hope, I’ve just got my first driving job, ever. I passed my Class 1 nearly 2 years ago. :unamused:

:smiley: Lol hello!
Did you have previous driving experience or have ya juse done your class 1 test and started work? I would probably do that but can’t remember how to couple a trailer lol :stuck_out_tongue:… Wish I could start a class 1 job there is so much round me end in staffordshire.

animal:
if you gave your location it would have been easier or if you know where you local Good Vehicle testis station is go there ask if they have the book on drivers hours & tach rules for eu drivers btw its free

maybe go down to your local training provider & do an assessment just to refresh your brain

Yea think I’m going to have to I can’t remember to much theory and forgot its not just get in and drive lol :frowning:… There is alot to the job.

Williams9881:
its not just get in and drive lol

It is if its an automatic unit :laughing: :laughing:

Williams9881:

dinosteveus1:

Did you have previous driving experience or have ya juse done your class 1 test and started work? I would probably do that but can’t remember how to couple a trailer lol :stuck_out_tongue:… Wish I could start a class 1 job there is so much round me end in staffordshire.

Absolutely no experience of driving anything bigger than a car. Article test Aug 08

dinosteveus1:

Williams9881:

dinosteveus1:

Absolutely no experience of driving anything bigger than a car. Article test Aug 08

How you finding the driving side of things? I wouldn’t be bothered about jumping in one and driving i’d just prefer someone sitting in with me for a couple of days lol. I can’t wait though oh happy days sleeping up a motorway all snug :smiley: lol beats the woods!