Same Old Chestnut!

Hi

I have recently passed both my class 2 and class 1 tests first time round about two months ago and have been knocking on doors for jobs as well as registering with agencies and i keep getting told that I do not have any experience to qualify for an interview but how am I supposed to gain any without someone giving me ago ■■?
I’m based in Leeds and have been around all the industrial estates CV in hand.

Does any one know anywhere that would give me my first drive whether it be vans to artics ■■?

ta

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Davey P :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
WELL DONE on passing C & C+E :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

Are you under 25 years of age?

no am 26 with a clean licence, been driving cars and vans since i was 17 but apparently that doesn’t count.

This subject keeps cropping up.Perhaps an owner operator in your area could allow you to double man with him sometimes you could help with the handball and gain some experience of how to drive and operate in the commercial enviroment.Keep trying most of us have been there too.

When I first passed my test I was doing wagon and drag for an Agency on behalf of Symphony kitchens.

I was based in Bellshill but their base was down your way.

Pretty sure I see them still kicking about and its demanding work so they should have quite a large turnover of Drivers.

If you get nothing then bluff it after six months as there is more Agencies willing to accept that and they don`t always check your references especially if a job comes in there and then.

Best of luck as its a nightmare and there was tons of work when I passed.

Symphony now have a massive new warehouse just on the outskirts of Grimethorpe, i know cos I delivered there the other day!! :smiley:

Coddy:
Symphony now have a massive new warehouse just on the outskirts of Grimethorpe, i know cos I delivered there the other day!! :smiley:

When he posted Leeds it jogged my memory about how I started getting a shift, there and Somerfield but even they are all assessments now.

Used to go to symphony in Leeds near Elland road, think in an industrial estate that’s got something to do with a phone box on a roof or a green phone box on the street. Cant remember. :blush:

The only other suggestion I have for the op is ask the Agencies who are knocking you back who lets new drivers sign up, one of them will know somebody if there’s anybody in your area.

I say this every time this comes up:

TRADE PLATE WORK!

You get experience of all manner of makes, axle layouts, bodies, & gear boxes. Perfect.

Davey P:
Hi

I have recently passed both my class 2 and class 1 tests first time round about two months ago and have been knocking on doors for jobs as well as registering with agencies and i keep getting told that I do not have any experience to qualify for an interview but how am I supposed to gain any without someone giving me ago ■■?

Does any one know anywhere that would give me my first drive whether it be vans to artics ■■?

ta

Get a company that has long gone, put it as reference and you might just be in with a chance
:smiley: :smiley:

Joshh:
Get a company that has long gone, put it as reference and you might just be in with a chance

errrrr, Josh, the OP said:

I have recently passed

come on, wake up, you’re supposed to be switched on at your age.
:laughing:

the reason a lot of companies wont take you on is because there insurance stipulates any driver over 25 with 2 years expeience of driver the vehicle you will be driving for that company.
crap i know how you supposed to get experience

john

busy fool:
how you supposed to get experience

EASY - pass the test at a time when there are more jobs than drivers - you will get a job very quickly as companies will be desperate for drivers :exclamation:

pretend yr polish

Davey P:
Hi

ta

Many congrats on gaining your licences, and sorry you can’t find much in the way of work. Everything is quiet agencywise at the moment, so I’ve no great comfort to offer you in that department. However, the great British holiday season is just days away, if it ain’t happening already, and, the agencies will be getting a little busier. That said, you should register with as many agencies as possible and hold yourself willing to cover anything and everything they may throw at you. In that way you’ll get yourself known and remembered when more work is available. I realise now, that I was lucky to have qualified in 2005 and most of the time selling myself to the highest bidder, gaining myself a wealth of experience along the way.
Anyway, just keep hanging in there, and be persistent, the fact you put yourself through your classes says a lot to most decent employers and agencies alike, so don’t go regretting doing it, on the plus side at least you’ve sidestepped having to do the drivers cpc by couple of months, so just remember, nil carbarundum :wink:

Yeah ! I’ve got a full time driving job now , albeit on 7.5t but still really really happy. :smiley:
Thanks for all your advice guys :slight_smile:

Joshh:

Davey P:
Hi

ta

Remember when kids used to be honest?

I know it is tuff getting that start.

Have you tried Reed Boardall at Boroughbridge on the side of the A1 or Hymas’s at Burton Leonard between Ripon and Harrogate are advertising for drivers.

fatles:

Joshh:

Davey P:
Hi

ta

nope :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

fatles:

Joshh:

Davey P:
Hi

ta

Me thinks he is learning too much off here at such a young age.

graham schroeder:
pretend yr polish

…if you want to here some fairly tales about ‘Poles stealing our jobs and claiming milions in benefits’ on that forum :wink: