Anyone know these two lads?

Mike Stamp ,and Bob Jackson. Came from the Manchester area, and worked at Smith of Maddison in Southampton, around the early ,to mid seventies.
I went on the Continent and lost touch with them, I believe they both returned to Manchester at some point in the late seventies.
Would like to make contact with them again if anyone out there knows them, and where they are.
Thanks for looking.

Yes Fergie 47, I knew both of them but I knew Mike Stamp the better of the two.
Mike went on to work for Stratton Transport after Smith’s and became yard foreman which saved him from running up and down trhe road. He ran a Lotus car which he would quite often loan to me. I lost touch with him and heard also that he had returned to the Manchester area. I do hope you get some news of him as I would also be interested.

TIR Original.
I remember now that he went to work at Strattons, he was also the yard foreman at Smith’s at Totton depot. He was our checker / paperwork man at Weymouth docks when we did the tomatoes ( remember doing that ? ) So if I get any info via a PM then I’ll let you know.
Fergie

HI FERGIE47 I worked for smiths out of BULWARKS yard in totton around 72 -73 ish. the names i remember are GEORGE the shunter ,.Paddy , Mc.Donald ? Stan Patrick Bobby Knox Dave Phillips and Jimmy Carlin and his uncle Pat Carlin. I Remember we used to load tomatoes on Weymouth quay on a Saturday and run to Scotch stopping overnight at The Colonels at Penkridge or Ivy,s at Newton-le-willows. Happy days. REGARDS TONY

mappo:
HI FERGIE47 I worked for smiths out of BULWARKS yard in totton around 72 -73 ish. the names i remember are GEORGE the shunter ,.Paddy , Mc.Donald ? Stan Patrick Bobby Knox Dave Phillips and Jimmy Carlin and his uncle Pat Carlin. I Remember we used to load tomatoes on Weymouth quay on a Saturday and run to Scotch stopping overnight at The Colonels at Penkridge or Ivy,s at Newton-le-willows. Happy days. REGARDS TONY

I know you did, I got you the job !! :open_mouth:

Fergie47:

mappo:

Hi Fergie47 Coming on this site is certainly bringing back some great memories. Its gotta be DAVE. How are you mate? ( M.I.F.S. ) HeHe

mappo:

Fergie47:

mappo:

Hi Fergie47 Coming on this site is certainly bringing back some great memories. Its gotta be DAVE. How are you mate? ( M.I.F.S. ) HeHe

Got it !! PM me, we’ll chat !!

fERGIE47 have sent you a PM

I worked at Smiths, London Rd, Glasgow depot (ND), in the mid 70’s.
The official company motto was ‘Smith for Service’.
The unofficial one was ‘Only one motor will pass a Smiths Motor and thats another one!’
Alex

alexsaville:
I worked at Smiths, London Rd, Glasgow depot (ND), in the mid 70’s.
The official company motto was ‘Smith for Service’.
The unofficial one was ‘Only one motor will pass a Smiths Motor and thats another one!’
Alex

Hello Alex
Were you known as Big Alex ? Did your daughter work at Long John Whisky, in the office, in London Rd, in the 80’s ■■
Fergie SD425.

Fergie
I was one of two guys there that were referred to as ‘Big Alex’.
No, my daughter did not work in Long John.
If I remember right, the ‘other’ Alex’s name was Alex McGoogan or something like that. He came from Langside.
I lived in Milton and then Springburn (where I am today).
I later went to United Glass.
Alex

alexsaville:
Fergie
If I remember right, the ‘other’ Alex’s name was Alex McGoogan or something like that. He came from Langside.
Alex

Alex. I was loading a tanker out of LJ’s ,whisky for Germany. Went to collect my notes, got talking to the girl who said her Dad had worked at Smiths for a few years and his name was Alex, thought it was too much of a coincidence to be you.
I do remember Bootsie, and Ian Lennox ( went to work for Duncan Barber, lost an eye when the rear door latch flew back on him, lived at Blackwood if I remember ) both out of London Rd.
Do you remember any of the Southampton drivers, Bobby Knox, Jimmy Carlin, Mick Hennessey, Jock McDonald ? late 60’s early 70’s

Fergie
I never came into contact with any of the English drivers other than at C/overs at Tebay, Scotch Corner, Crooklands, or the straight through guys from St Albans.
I was there mid 70’s.
When I drive past what was the Head Office at Maddiston I can hear the ghosts of those Guy Big J’s revving up!
Alex

alexsaville:
When I drive past what was the Head Office at Maddiston I can hear the ghosts of those Guy Big J’s revving up!
Alex

Went via there , a few years ago, on a visit to see some friends in Edinburgh.
Stunned to see that it no longer existed, but was a fire brigade training centre.
All the memories got shattered that day ! I guess I expected it to be just the same.

Fergie47:

alexsaville:
Fergie
Alex

Alex. I was loading a tanker out of LJ’s ,whisky for Germany. Went to collect my notes, got talking to the girl who said her Dad had worked at Smiths for a few years and his name was Alex, thought it was too much of a coincidence to be you.
I do remember Bootsie, and Ian Lennox ( went to work for Duncan Barber, lost an eye when the rear door latch flew back on him, lived at Blackwood if I remember ) both out of London Rd.
Do you remember any of the Southampton drivers, Bobby Knox, Jimmy Carlin, Mick Hennessey, Jock McDonald ? late 60’s early 70’s

I remember Ian on Barbers also Kevin Connolly, Barry Stafford and Elkins (was it) I met Mick Hennessy when he worked on Sea Route Ferry I believe he had his own motor for a while (a Volvo 88) his son Sean worked for Mark Compton out of Poole.

Regards Pat

Fergie47:

alexsaville:
Fergie
Alex

I remember Ian on Barbers also Kevin Connolly, Barry Stafford and Elkins (was it) I met Mick Hennessy when he worked on Sea Route Ferry I believe he had his own motor for a while (a Volvo 88 ) his son Sean worked for Mark Compton out of Poole.

Regards Pat

ainacs:

Fergie47:

alexsaville:

I remember Ian on Barbers also Kevin Connolly, Barry Stafford and Elkins (was it) I met Mick Hennessy when he worked on Sea Route Ferry I believe he had his own motor for a while (a Volvo 88) his son Sean worked for Mark Compton out of Poole.

Regards Pat

Pat, Only remember Ian Lennox on Barbers, as I knew him from the Smith’s days. Mike Hennessey certainly had his own dark blue F88 for a while. I believe both him and Sean are still driving.

Hi Pat Sorry to correct you buddy, Sean was a bit old to be Micks son, I know you meant Mark Henessy really… Drive past your house twice a week and am well impressed with your RV… Wicked mate… Oh not sure if you know but Kevin Connely passed away couple of years ago i heard. RIP Kev…

Regards Kev

Alex, I Spoke to you about Tartan Arrow and Ritchie’s. My uncle also drove for a Glasgow firm called J John Mcneal?? His name was David Richardson Any chance you ever heard of him■■?

Regards Kev

Hi Pat, Dave and Kev

also on Barbers was Sinclair who i think is still driving for them now.
Ian Elkins brother who drove for them was Dave.

Mick and his son Mark are both still driving on containerwork. Mick is on for Elite and i think Mark is driving for Smarts ( possibly for agency )

Micks volvo was an F88 240 I did a few trips to italy in it for him.

Regards to you all

PS Dave i did,nt receive your PM we spoke about on phone