Help Needed??

Hi

Does anybody have any info or pictures on a company going during the 60s and 70s ( I think :confused: ) called “Marshalls Of Nottingham”■■
Pictures, or any info at all would be gratefully recieved.

Many Thanks
Lucy :slight_smile:

Hi Lucy,

Marshalls of Nottingham were still going in the in the late 80’s my dad worked for them on the ‘Boots Contract’ until they lost that and eventually called it a day. A company called Clearways, or something like that, took over the work and kept my old man on, he did the South West Trunk, Plymouth to Bristol & back and was in his element because they gave him a new Leyland Roadtrain with a 320 ‘Hummin ■■■■■■■■■ with Marshalls he had been struggling firstly with a D1000 Ford and then a DAF 2300 both seriously underpowered for the run up and back from Plymouth. Eventually Clearways found out he should have been pensioned off by Marshalls years before and they forced him to retire at age 72. Sadly he passed away in February last year (aged 87) but when I was doing some work for an Irish co; around 99/00 he spent some time with me and even at 80yrs old he drove that new Scania I had like ‘a gud un’ I even went to sleep on the bunk. He was definetly one of the old school and as a young lad went all over the Country with him but I know how chuffed he was when we pulled up at Southwaithe Services and threw him the keys to that truck!
Anyway back to Marshalls besides the Nottingham HQ they also had a depot in Leigh Nr Manchester and they did work out M/cr Containerbase & the Freightliner and also did general haulage & groupage work to Ireland.

Just a couple of names I can remember from the Leigh depot, Jack & Graham Chadwick and Roger Sidaway. Jack was a long time mate of my dads and Graham is his son, Roger was an old school friend. Graham C. went on to be an owner driver doing euro work and ended up having problems with the Customs & Excise (Too many packets of tobacco) and spent a holiday at HMs pleasure.

It would be really interesting to find out what has happened to the lads mentioned but that aside Marshalls was another large family owned company that went to the wall nearly 20yrs ago, and probably now forgotten by some but hopefully some of us might have some memories of them.

Sorry I don’t have any pictures just memories.
Dave Penn; :slight_smile:

Thanx Dave,
very interesting reading,
I’m looking for info because Marshalls of Nottingham was owned by my other half’s father, Rex/Roy Marshall, my other half was only small when his Dad was driving and running the business and sadly he passed away some years ago.
It’d be nice to gather some info and pictures to pass onto my partner as a tribute to his Dad and bring back some old memories.

Lucy