Anyone Remember These Companies

littlerichard:

This F10 reg PBW 616W i drove

Holy Spidonky! My old man used to drive for E-J-S
I apologise to bump this post up the board but it’s bought back good memories. Do any of you remember Steve (TJ) ■■■■■■? I seem to remember the f10(or f12) he drove for Edwards was used for wide loads a fair amount.

Bewick:

del:
Does anyone know the haulage company from lennoxtown in Scotland. Think they were called j.w. Cuthbert and son. They had three drivers in the late seventies till early eighties. I think the drivers were called jack Billy jim. They drove an old erf and a old Atkinson and a guy. Then I think they got a foden. Also the haulage company Trevor of Warrington they had blue volvos. Are they still on the road. Which haulage company ran out of seaforth in Liverpool haulin acl containers with acl brockelbank on there wagons. I. M sure it was all six legger dafs they had. All White wagons way acl brockelbank written on it. Barkers or harper rings a bell. (burscough) I think that’s where they were based. Remember stayin at there depot one nite in early nineties.

H.R. Trevor of Warrington,yes I remember them they ran F88s and the owner died suddenly and the firm was put up for sale.Malc Woodhouse snr. and I went to look at it one Sunday with a view to buying it "lockstock"as a going concern but IIRC "all was not as it seemed"and we didn’t take matters any further.I can’t re-call what eventually happened to the firm.Bewick.

Not too sure what happened to HR Trevor but I remember they were based on the site of the old Georges cafe on the A57 Great Sankey. They did a lot of work for Rylands Wire and I think they did a lot of Scottish traffic. I think they were distantly related to the Roy Trevor (removals) family who still operate from a Warrington base

Big Leggy:

badgerboy51:
Have just joined the forum,and was interested in your conversations.I worked for Fredk Ray Ltd fron 1978 to 1983 and wondered if any of you know what happened to any of the drivers when it was taken over by Biddys.
I will give you some names: Colin Cursley (Shop Steward) Reg Bassill,Bob Dearman,Bob Mackay,Ralph Reay who went on toSid Edwards,Hugh Middleton,Ro Smith,Hugh McGuiness who I think became an owner driver,amongst others.Also
another firm worth mentioning was Export & General, who came under the same banner as Rays.

Do you recall Dave Warren who was down at Grovebury Rd – loading the Bullhead Wharfs ■■
Sid Goldby in charge then as M/D ?

Have just joined the forum. I worked at Fredk Ray between 1975 and 1980. I remember all of the people mentioned above very well. I paticularly remember Dave Warren, who used to give me a lift home and Sid Golby who’s son Barry also provided lifts in my car-less days . Also I recollect Les Wainwright, Peter Thorpe, Benny Wigget, and George Petifer from the offices. Are any of these guys still around ?

hi do any of you ex dawson drivers know my mate called barney he worked there for a long the he had two f88 OUD 143P AND OUD 145P he use to tell me about lots of the guys who worked there called brother john

chicobuttons:

lemonmouth:
[quote="chicobuttons"HI TREV THE F 10 WITH JON 1 ON THE FRONT WAS MINE J WISSON EX DAWSON DRIVER

And heres the Commer I was talking about :wink:

HI TREV THANKS FOR PHOTO OF ME IN JON 1 TAKEN ON THE MI CHEERS LEMONMOUTH
[/quote]

Big Leggy:
Sat down with a beer and run up this list of Leighton Buzzard companies past and present I can personally recall – sorry if I’ve missed any out :-
H.H.Brown & Son
A.C.Biggs
Fred’k Rays
Dawson Freight
Smith of Tring (■■)
S&J Pierce
R.K.Browning (Ken Browning)
A.J.G. (latterly Dentressangle)
A.C.H. (latterly Dentressangle)
E.C.E.
Bayliss
R.G.Jellis
Sid Edwards
Glen Transport
Choake (Billington Rd ■■)
Gordon Heeps
Avery’s
Peter Roff
Pageday
There are a couple more but I just cannot recall their names – & of course there was Anchor + Marley Tiles. For such a small market town (as it was) it must have had one of the highest percentages of truck to population numbers in the UK !! Now you cannot even park a truck there !! :frowning:

Hallmark Transport Ltd 1965 to 1980 from 1972 Based in Bletchley (My Dads Company , Brian Hall (fubby) In Partnership with Mick Hall Deceased now. After our Business finished , Mike was involved in the Super Gun saga. Alan Wheeler Rented Space in our Yard Nr the Brigde Pub FEnny Stratford. and yes CO. was Wheelspan Jules. Hall (Brians Son ) :confused:

Hallmark Transport Ltd 1965 to 1980 from 1972 Based in Bletchley (My Dads Company , Brian Hall (fubby) In Partnership with Mick Hall Deceased now. After our Business finished , Mike was involved in the Super Gun saga. Alan Wheeler Rented Space in our Yard Nr the Brigde Pub FEnny Stratford. and yes CO. was Wheelspan Jules. Hall (Brians Son ) :confused:
[/quote]
When did Micky Hall die? Long before the “Big Gun” saga & when he still had the pub + two trucks – running as Anglo Espania &/or Union Transport – I did couple of runs to Spain for him… He later had one truck repossessed but replaced it with en ex Dawsons LHD Volvo… I think one of the trips was with a fridge trailer [ex ECE] with fish ex Wales and return load of fruit into Bejams depot Wolverton [load subbed off of Robin @ Rokold]…
Alan Wheeler – I went to Turkey on his behalf [long story] to recover a Mercedes + trailer of scotch whisky that had been stopped at Iran - Turkey border [Dogubayazit] and was being compelled to return to UK. Again long story but I ended up in Turkish custody [as saying goes]. Lost touch with Alan Wheeler not long after Anne divorced him – anyone know where he is now??

Big Leggy:

When did Micky Hall die? Long before the “Big Gun” saga & when he still had the pub + two trucks – running as Anglo Espania &/or Union Transport – I did couple of runs to Spain for him… He later had one truck repossessed but replaced it with en ex Dawsons LHD Volvo… I think one of the trips was with a fridge trailer [ex ECE] with fish ex Wales and return load of fruit into Bejams depot Wolverton [load subbed off of Robin @ Rokold]…
Alan Wheeler – I went to Turkey on his behalf [long story] to recover a Mercedes + trailer of scotch whisky that had been stopped at Iran - Turkey border [Dogubayazit] and was being compelled to return to UK. Again long story but I ended up in Turkish custody [as saying goes]. Lost touch with Alan Wheeler not long after Anne divorced him – anyone know where he is now??
[/quote]
Hi Leggy , I have given Dad my Login Details, Mick Passed away about 4 Years ago i think ill let him Answer, Mick was my Dad Business Partner for many years 1964-1980 When Hallmarks Closed down. Mick Went on his own after that as you well know Julian :sunglasses:

Spardo:

hanson:

BuzzardBoy:
ANother bloke just outside L/Buzzard in Stanbridge used to run a Cabover Peterbilt all over Europe, but again i cant remember the company name

i think it was called browns not sure about that but definatley remember the trucks

I seem to remember Brown’s, but Macks not Petes.

My dads company Hallmark transport was based in Stanbridge from 1965 until 1972 the yard next to the Farm, opposite the Green.We Ran approx 6 Lorries then 20 at our Peak from Bletchley we then moved to Bletchley. My Dad knows all the old Companies from Leighton Buzzard , and worked for many in his youth , hes 77 now. Hes not computer “savy” so if you need to know anything about the old Companies i will try to answer them

J. Hall (son)

fubbysboy:

Big Leggy:
Sat down with a beer and run up this list of Leighton Buzzard companies past and present I can personally recall – sorry if I’ve missed any out :-
H.H.Brown & Son
A.C.Biggs
Fred’k Rays
Dawson Freight
Smith of Tring (■■)
S&J Pierce
E.C.E.
Bayliss
R.G.Jellis
Sid Edwards
Glen Transport
Gordon Heeps
Avery’s
Peter Roff
Pageday
There are a couple more but I just cannot recall their names – & of course there was Anchor + Marley Tiles. For such a small market town (as it was) it must have had one of the highest percentages of truck to population numbers in the UK !! Now you cannot even park a truck there !! :frowning:

Sorry i should he Mentioned we were Leighton Buzzard Based HALLMARK TRANSPORT LTD 1965 to 1972 From Stanbridge just outside LB me Dad knows them all .its great someone has found some old Photos although they are the later years. j.hall

fubbysboy:

fubbysboy:

Big Leggy:
H.H.Brown & Son
A.C.Biggs
Fred’k Rays
Dawson Freight
Smith of Tring (■■)
S&J Pierce
E.C.E.
Bayliss
R.G.Jellis
Sid Edwards
Glen Transport
Gordon Heeps
Avery’s
Peter Roff
Pageday

Sorry i should have Mentioned we were Leighton Buzzard Based … HALLMARK TRANSPORT LTD 1965 to 1972 From Stanbridge just outside LB me Dad knows them all .its great someone has found some old Photos although they are the later years. j.hall

I will ask Dad to add to the List if he can

Big Leggy:
Buzzard Boy
That’s him – spot on !! At one time also had the pub in Fenny Stratford or Bletchley just over canal on old A5 – was it The Swan ? Whatever happened to Mike ? I last heard of him years ago (Iraq big gun) & rumour was he was off to Spain (Javea) !! I first knew him when he had trucks running as Union Freight or Anglo Espania !!
Alan Wheeler had a yard just before the canal on the same stretch as pub – ran car transporters – great rugby enthusiast if I recall correctly !!

Alan played pro Rugby League before moving to Bletchley he shared the yard next to the Bridge Pub with my Dads Company Hallmark Transport. my Dad was Partner with Mick Hall for 20 years. Mick’s venture after Hallmarks was pretty short lived, Mick died 3 or 4 years ago. Mick was my “Godfather”

The super gun saga was after Hallmarks closed.

fubbysboy:

Big Leggy:
Buzzard Boy
That’s him – spot on !! At one time also had the pub in Fenny Stratford or Bletchley just over canal on old A5 – was it The Swan ? Whatever happened to Mike ? I last heard of him years ago (Iraq big gun) & rumour was he was off to Spain (Javea) !! I first knew him when he had trucks running as Union Freight or Anglo Espania !!
Alan Wheeler had a yard just before the canal on the same stretch as pub – ran car transporters – great rugby enthusiast if I recall correctly !!

Alan played pro Rugby League before moving to Bletchley he shared the yard next to the Bridge Pub with my Dads Company Hallmark Transport. my Dad was Partner with Mick Hall for 20 years. Mick’s venture after Hallmarks was pretty short lived, Mick died 3 or 4 years ago. Mick was my “Godfather”

The super gun saga was after Hallmarks closed.

Yes it was the swan , with his wife Margaret

Anyone out there remember these two firms asked before on other threads but I,ll keep trying,photos would be nice. My dad worked for both also dad had his own truck for a while pulled out of Tempco at Woolston Grange in the same yard as Safeways, TM there either went to or came from Northwest Freigthers I,m sure by the name of Gary ■■?

Boatchaser:
Anyone out there remember these two firms asked before on other threads but I,ll keep trying,photos would be nice. My dad worked for both also dad had his own truck for a while pulled out of Tempco at Woolston Grange in the same yard as Safeways, TM there either went to or came from Northwest Freigthers I,m sure by the name of Gary ■■?

It was a bit before my time but I remember Tempco well and my brother in law (Bob Aitken) was a supervisor there about this time. He transferred over to the Dronfield depot when it opened in 1980 ish (he’s actually just recently retired from there.) Did you remember a driver there called Bert Hackney? I think he might have worked for a subby called Barry Ford from Daresbury way at the time.

hayday:

Boatchaser:

It was a bit before my time but I remember Tempco well and my brother in law (Bob Aitken) was a supervisor there about this time. He transferred over to the Dronfield depot when it opened in 1980 ish (he’s actually just recently retired from there.) Did you remember a driver there called Bert Hackney? I think he might have worked for a subby called Barry Ford from Daresbury way at the time.

fubbysboy:

Big Leggy:
H.H.Brown & Son
A.C.Biggs
Fred’k Rays
Dawson Freight
Smith of Tring (■■)
S&J Pierce
E.C.E.
Bayliss
R.G.Jellis
Sid Edwards
Glen Transport
Gordon Heeps
Avery’s
Peter Roff
Pageday

Here’s one of me when me when I was on for RKB, in the yard in Grovebury Road, must be around 84 or 85ish, I had a new D reg FL10 & new tri-axle tipping tank after this one. When I left to go back in the workshop for Dawsonfreight, the Volvo was taken over by Fred Davage, another good mate who’s sadly not with us now.

Xdriver:
Here’s one of me when me when I was on for RKB, in the yard in Grovebury Road, must be around 84 or 85ish, I had a new D reg FL10 & new tri-axle tipping tank after this one. When I left to go back in the workshop for Dawsonfreight, the Volvo was taken over by Fred Davage, another good mate who’s sadly not with us now.

Any more pictures Andy!!!

Hi Gary, been a long time mate, now lets see about some more!!!
By the way, have you got any pics of your Dad’s wagons ?

img A53 NGS001.jpg

BROWNING SEDDON CKX354T.jpg

rkb erf.jpg

Just found this one, Fred Davage’s motor, B51 BMJ doing duty in the Leighton Buzzard carnival around the mid eighties, this was taken outside mum’s house in Garden Hedge. One of Sidney J’s following.

RKB005.jpg

Big Leggy:
Request for any other Leighton Buzzard companies from the '70s or '80s ?
Can we include characters involved in Haulage & spread the area slightly ?
Tony Mongiardi, Tiny Lee, Frederick Rays Transport, Avery’s Transport - all in L.B. town. How about Howard Fawcett, Julian Mary Miles both local to L.B. ?
What about the “mileages” done in The Falcon or The Eagle pubs ■■
Come on Buzzard Boy help me out here please !!

My dad drove for tony Mongiardi for a bit in the early 70’s I think it was, before he had the F12’s, If I remember correctly he had an old Fiat for a while and then an 88 they still had the shop and bakery in Hockliffe Street at the time, years later my old mate Andy Mullins drove for him to. Tony’s son in law, Luigi had his own F10, he used to subby for ECE, I lived in Gemini close at the same time as him before I moved to Rugby. Anyone know if he still has the coffee shop in the High Street, Leighton Buzzard■■?