Anyone Remember These Companies

Big Leggy:
AC Biggs was at 35A Stanbridge Rd. It was originally owned and run by Stan Hart. It is correct that they were distributors for IPC work out of Odhams & Sun in Watford. The traffic managers were Ted Lawrence & Brian Slater. There was also a small “general haulage” fleet that did container work for BI that was mainly 40ft trailers to Eire & NI again for IPC… There was also one vehicle [Scania] driven by Derek Caine on Luxembourg weekly run for Cave Wood who were then in Chesham. In approx 1975 this fllet was expanded to cover more International work and Daf trucks were introduced on to the fleet. It was approx at that time Derek Caine, Ralph Draper [driving Leyland Marathon] & an owner driver [the famous Tiny Lee] went to Tehran. European work continued for a couple of years along side GB IPC work and drivers included Derek Caine, Ralph Draper, Bob Chapman, Fred Kidd, Tim Pratt, Stuart Oddy, Frank Kutyla, !After Stan Hart had died Len Sparks was brought in to oversee and Geoff Reynolds became International Traffic manager. AC Biggs were tied into the same “group” as Radclives of Farringdon around that time and for various reasons [including lack of number of permits] the International ceased to operate. The UK side on IPC work continued untill Mortimers Transport [Kings Langley] got the contract and opened up a depot at Bletchley Milton Keynes and the majority of Biggs drivers ransfered there…

Didn’t they have a Merc as well, driven by Gordon Francis who lived just up the road from the yard? I’m sure he was there before him and Dell Caine came to R K Brownings.

reagle ill do it:
hi i started work in the lieghton area many years ago for pentus browns son john. The company name was trucklink and john ran 3 moters i was lucky enough to get a brand new f10 volvo (b942sac) back then it was the dogs doo dars we pulled tilts out of dover for m a t and ferryline,were i ran with little joe and mr locket(mr r p l ).they were both on for peter roffe with the big 142S and globetrotters doing 5 bridgends from dover a week (pre m25 days ) dont know how they keeped it up.then when browny packed it in in then went to s j edwards for work then spent many happy (and a few sad ) years there .met and know many many drivers who passed through sids gates as little joe said he would give any one a chance,at one time we wre called rpl s training school i left sid for awhile and tryed my luck at a c h’s at aylesbury that was a fantastic job great moters great work(mainly italys and germany)and top money troble was it was a marridge wrecker so went sadley back to sids i recognise most of the names on this thread and have got a lot of names not talked about

Hello Rob, how are you mate ? I bet you don’t know who this is, it has been years though.

ye m8 used to work for harry mason mainly spain /Portugal/ nice kit and also ajg hurry up harry I use to call him great days :smiley:

Anyone remember any of the folowing companies from Leighton Buzzard and have any pictures etc…

ECE - Light Blue and white, mainly Scania 112’s and F12’s
Sidney J Edwards - Red Volvo’s mainly, used to do a bit of European
JLS Haulage Contractors - Any old ■■■■■■ used to do GPG work from Dunstable, then latterly a bit of European.

And any other Leighton Buzzard based comapnies from the 70’s and 80’s. I know there were quite a few more as L/B was quite a popular Transport town.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about them.

I seem to remember a company called Biggs from that area, had yellow trucks and a contract for IPC magazine distribution

leslie G Heath wrote;

seem to remember a company called Biggs from that area, had yellow trucks and a contract for IPC magazine distribution

A C Biggs where from Leighton Buzzard, packed up many years ago
can’t remember when (Buzzard Boy might know depends how old he
is :laughing: ) It’s there yard that Peter Roff bought and ran his trucks from.

One more useless bit of information Peter Roff used to be the fitter
at Biggs’s

(Buzzard Boy might know depends how old he
is )

Not that old…Only the humble age of…30

How about these other, anyone know of them, or have any stories of them.

Harry Mason - Milton Keynes
Nellen & Quack - Leighton Buzzard
AJG International - Leighton Buzzard
Pink Independant Express - Leighton Buzzard(Bought out by Tuffnells)
Kilty Freight - Luton - Used to do the MAN’s from Muncich back to the UK

There was a crowd from Bedford used to run fancy colourTurbostar’s in the 80’s and 90’s to Bulgaria and Romania(dont know the company name, but got done for drug smuggling)

ANother bloke just outside L/Buzzard in Stanbridge used to run a Cabover Peterbilt all over Europe, but again i cant remember the company name

BuzzardBoy:
How about these other, anyone know of them, or have any stories of them.

Harry Mason - Milton Keynes
Nellen & Quack - Leighton Buzzard
Pink Independant Express - Leighton Buzzard(Bought out by Tuffnells)
Kilty Freight - Luton - Used to do the MAN’s from Muncich back to the UK

There was a crowd from Bedford used to run fancy colourTurbostar’s in the 80’s and 90’s to Bulgaria and Romania(dont know the company name, but got done for drug smuggling)

ANother bloke just outside L/Buzzard in Stanbridge used to run a Cabover Peterbilt all over Europe, but again i cant remember the company name

i think it was called browns not sure about that but definatley remember the trucks

BuzzardBoy:
Anyone remember any of the folowing companies from Leighton Buzzard and have any pictures etc…

JLS Haulage Contractors - Any old [zb], used to do GPG work from Dunstable, then latterly a bit of European.

And any other Leighton Buzzard based comapnies from the 70’s and 80’s. I know there were quite a few more as L/B was quite a popular Transport town.

i remember edwards

hanson:

BuzzardBoy:

JLS Haulage Contractors - Any old [zb], used to do GPG work from Dunstable, then latterly a bit of European.

i remember edwards

Didnt Sidney J Edwards later become Edwards in the blue & white that KW off here drove for before becoming Willi Betz I am sure i remember seeing the motors running around in the change over period red unit blue/white trailer red trailer blue/white unit... you get the drift i may be wrong but i should think that KWs the man with the answer

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

hanson:

BuzzardBoy:

i think it was called browns not sure about that but definatley remember the trucks

I seem to remember Brown’s, but Macks not Petes.

AJG are now better know as Norbert Dressingtable UK Ltd. Still in Leighton Buzzard though.

AJG are now better know as Norbert Dressingtable UK Ltd. Still in Leighton Buzzard though.

Yeah, although i did hear they lost the O-licence for that site for repeated tacho offences so it’s no longer a base, it’s just a “yard”. I dodnt think they actually run the transport from there anymore, well officially anyway.

Did`nt Sidney J Edwards later become Edwards in the blue & white that KW off here drove for before becoming Willi Betz

I am almost certain these two are not linked in anyway, but could be wrong.

I seem to remember Brown’s, but Macks not Petes.

It was most definatley a Pete, a silver one if a remember correctly.

Yeah, although i did hear they lost the O-licence for that site for repeated tacho offences

Surely not! Not Europe’s leading logistics company?? :sunglasses:

BuzzardBoy:

Remember 2, ECE , werent they ECE in blue blocks on the trailer and black writing on it ? I remember them, did box trailers

Edwards, didnt they do tankers/ dry freight ?

chicobuttons:

skandiahamn:
Hello BuzzardBoy,

The new Turbo Stars that were running from Bedford were a company called INTERGLOBE, a guy called Joe (you’re right Big Leggy he was Italian) and done for smuggling, he started as an O/D with a Gold/Bronze 2800 DAF parking in S. Johns yard at weekends, and would have been late 70s early 80s when he started.

HI WHEN I STARTED FOR DAWSONFREIGHT IN 1970 I TOOK MY HGV TEST IN A COMMER ARTIC I PASSED AND STAYED AT DAWSON FREIGHT TILL 1991 I REMEMBER NAMES OF THE NAMES IN PREVIOUS MESSAGESTHERE WAS OVER 20 HAULEDGE COMPANYS IN LEIGHTON BUZZARD IFF YOU DID NOT LIKE A FIRM YOU COULD PACK UP FRIDAY START MONDAY SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR A SMALL TOWN SO MANY COMPANYS GOOD OLD DAYS NOW RETIRED IN SPAIN STILL HAVE A APPARTMENT IN BLETCHLEY JOHN WISSON

Hey John Wisson, Do you remember Bert Morris at Dawsons Leighton B. he worked for Ted Dawson at Billington Road, and ended up as t/manager untill his retirement. and do you remember the F88’s that were bought by the Who Group from Dawsons as the volvo agents, around 1974
they had real cool paint jobs and American style chrome bumpers.

I used to go to school with Micks daughter Jackie as I grew up just round the corner from them in Water Eaton, remember Mick running the pub & also had a converted bus delivering fruit & veg around some of the estates in MK, used to see Ben about now & again when I was on the rd, last time was years back he was running into Lowestoft, Remember the super gun fiasco rallly well as by then Jackie was married & it was her hubby who was the driver

ECE should never off sold out to aah in the first place great company till they got hold off them

AndyandDebs:
I used to go to school with Micks daughter Jackie as I grew up just round the corner from them in Water Eaton, remember Mick running the pub & also had a converted bus delivering fruit & veg around some of the estates in MK, used to see Ben about now & again when I was on the rd, last time was years back he was running into Lowestoft, Remember the super gun fiasco rallly well as by then Jackie was married & it was her hubby who was the driver

sent you an email andy sorry should have posted it on here :smiley: