Anyone Remember These Companies

What happened to Pentus?

pollystag:

What happened to Pentus?

Nice shot of a new Foden & 4 in line back in the day, very stylish the spot & fog let into the bumper :sunglasses: but I wonder how long those chrome discs would have lasted on the outer trailer wheels ? :wink: I also wonder what engine would the Foden have had in it— a Two Stroker or a 6LW ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Nice shot of a new Foden & 4 in line back in the day, very stylish the spot & fog let into the bumper :sunglasses: but I wonder how long those chrome discs would have lasted on the outer trailer wheels ? :wink: I also wonder what engine would the Foden have had in it— a Two Stroker or a 6LW ? Cheers Bewick.

I’m guessing that would be a Foden built trailer as well then Dennis? I suppose the thinking was that in a fleet both the trailer and unit wheels/hubs and brakes were all pretty much interchangeable? I never had much to do with trailers, apart from doing some work on a Scammell coupling on one in the early seventies, as Tilcon hadn’t any in our area until after I went driving full time. That was the reason why they only put me through a class 2, despite the training school having an artic and trailer standing idle during my course.

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:

I’m guessing that would be a Foden built trailer as well then Dennis? I suppose the thinking was that in a fleet both the trailer and unit wheels/hubs and brakes were all pretty much interchangeable? I never had much to do with trailers, apart from doing some work on a Scammell coupling on one in the early seventies, as Tilcon hadn’t any in our area until after I went driving full time. That was the reason why they only put me through a class 2, despite the training school having an artic and trailer standing idle during my course.

Pete.

Well Pete I know that ERF’s built a few trailers and certainly Scammell did for many years but I never heard that Fodens did ! And it was a four-in-line which I reckon narrows it down to BTC/York/Boden or maybe even Scammell as these firms seem to have been the leading manufactures of 4 in lines but of course I will stand correctd and as the saying goes “you learn summat new every day” Cheers Dennis PS that trailer should have had the small makers plate on the front corner of the chock rail then the answer would be sorted !!

Bewick:
Well Pete I know that ERF’s built a few trailers and certainly Scammell did for many years but I never heard that Fodens did ! And it was a four-in-line which I reckon narrows it down to BTC/York/Boden or maybe even Scammell as these firms seem to have been the leading manufactures of 4 in lines but of course I will stand correctd and as the saying goes “you learn summat new every day” Cheers Dennis PS that trailer should have had the small makers plate on the front corner of the chock rail then the answer would be sorted !!

Oh Fodens definately made trailers Dennis, even back in the late thirties they supplied drawbar trailers with the same wheels and running gear as the lorry. Funnily enough, to make sure, I have just looked in my book written by Harold Nancollis who spent his whole working life at the works and there is a pic of the outfit we are discussing, but in Fodens own livery. It does say that "the four in line trailer used Foden running gear to be interchangeable with the unit’ which is what I said. It was designed for a 17 ton payload with the 'stroker and 5 speed gearbox or 16 ton 13 cwt with the Gardner 6LX and 12 speed box. The Foden ‘Twin Load’ trailer used Foden hubs etc as well.
Edited to say: I wonder if the trailer was actually built by a known trailer manufacturer and Foden just fitted their own running gear, it doesn’t make that clear in the book?

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:

Oh Fodens definately made trailers Dennis, even back in the late thirties they supplied drawbar trailers with the same wheels and running gear as the lorry. Funnily enough, to make sure, I have just looked in my book written by Harold Nancollis who spent his whole working life at the works and there is a pic of the outfit we are discussing, but in Fodens own livery. It does say that "the four in line trailer used Foden running gear to be interchangeable with the unit’ which is what I said. It was designed for a 17 ton payload with the 'stroker and 5 speed gearbox or 16 ton 13 cwt with the Gardner 6LX and 12 speed box. The Foden ‘Twin Load’ trailer used Foden hubs etc as well.
Edited to say: I wonder if the trailer was actually built by a known trailer manufacturer and Foden just fitted their own running gear, it doesn’t make that clear in the book?

Pete.

Thanks for the gen Pete and I’d forgotten about the “Foden twin load” ( similar to what Volvo promoted in the 70’s with their F88 and pulling a single axle using a Dolly) However Mate I believe there is the makings of another “Guy Big J 8LXB” job on here ! As in the absence of a chock rave side plate who, if anyone, might have a shot of the back end of that 4 in line ? Surely it should have a “Foden” plate on the backend !!! So in the absence of definitive, photographic proof, it must remain as “WIP” until such time someone posts a shot of it coupled to an 8LXB Big J ! :wink: Sorry Mate but rules is rules :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have pics in the book of Foden built trailers, all drawbar and some as triples coupled to steamers (with brakemen perched on the first two trailers, at least you got to sit in the Leyland cab!) so they did exist pre war. :wink: That is definately Foden running gear on that 4 in line, as was the trailer on the ‘Twin Load’ but the trailers themselves could have been built elsewhere of course as the book only mentions ‘using Foden running gear’. There are Foden works pics of new tractor/trailer outfits in the 60’s and one trailer (a twin axle 34 ft one) has a rectangular plate on the nearside rail but is too small to read alas.

Pete.

Bewick:

Windrush:

Bewick:

Pete.

Thanks for the gen Pete and I’d forgotten about the “Foden twin load” ( similar to what Volvo promoted in the 70’s with their F88 and pulling a single axle using a Dolly) However Mate I believe there is the makings of another “Guy Big J 8LXB” job on here ! As in the absence of a chock rave side plate who, if anyone, might have a shot of the back end of that 4 in line ? Surely it should have a “Foden” plate on the backend !!! So in the absence of definitive, photographic proof, it must remain as “WIP” until such time someone posts a shot of it coupled to an 8LXB Big J ! :wink: Sorry Mate but rules is rules :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Anyone Remember These Companies . Page 9. Foden Superpayload.
Monday,18th May,2020. VALKYRIE .

Foden did indeed make Foden trailers from the days of Foden steam road locomotives,traction engines,
steam lorries in the 1880s-1890s to the 1930s,continuing alongside Foden petrol and diesel lorry production
from the 1930s and must have made trailers in to the 1960s at least.

The Foden-Dyson Superpayload Semi-Trailer was jointly produced by Foden and Dyson for the matching
Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik F-Type Foden Dynamic Mk6 Two Stroke,or Gardner 6LX,or K-Type with
the same engine options,TU/24 Tractive Unit,QV photograph below.The semi-trailer’s hubs and brake
units were the same as the front hubs and brakes of the above tractive unit.

Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik F or K TU/24,4x2-4,Tractive Unit,Foden-Dyson Superpayload Semi-Trailer,17-Ton PL,Articulated Lorry,1962,H.G.Pentus Brown. TNUK-OTL-Anyone Remember These Companies,9.May 2020.Pollystag.4#

.Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik F or K TU,24,4x2-4,Tractive Unit,Foden-Dyson Superpayload Semi-Trailer,17-Ton PL,Articulated Lorry,1962,H.G.Pentus Brown. TNUK-OTL-Anyone Remember These Companies,9.May 2020.Pollystag.4#.jpg

VALKYRIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks VALKYRIE for that, as I thought (and indicated above) it was a joint venture using Foden running gear on (in this case) Dyson trailers. Made sense to have everything the same on both the unit and trailer, especially if running a 100% Foden fleet.

Pete.

HI…NIANIAMH.
Sid …Sold Up And Retired…Rents The Yard Out… But He Still Likes His BEER .He Has Never Changed.Tho.

AC Biggs was at 35A Stanbridge Rd. It was originally owned and run by Stan Hart. It is correct that they were distributors for IPC work out of Odhams & Sun in Watford. The traffic managers were Ted Lawrence & Brian Slater. There was also a small “general haulage” fleet that did container work for BI that was mainly 40ft trailers to Eire & NI again for IPC… There was also one vehicle [Scania] driven by Derek Caine on Luxembourg weekly run for Cave Wood who were then in Chesham. In approx 1975 this fllet was expanded to cover more International work and Daf trucks were introduced on to the fleet. It was approx at that time Derek Caine, Ralph Draper [driving Leyland Marathon] & an owner driver [the famous Tiny Lee] went to Tehran. European work continued for a couple of years along side GB IPC work and drivers included Derek Caine, Ralph Draper, Bob Chapman, Fred Kidd, Tim Pratt, Stuart Oddy, Frank Kutyla, !After Stan Hart had died Len Sparks was brought in to oversee and Geoff Reynolds became International Traffic manager. AC Biggs were tied into the same “group” as Radclives of Farringdon around that time and for various reasons [including lack of number of permits] the International ceased to operate. The UK side on IPC work continued untill Mortimers Transport [Kings Langley] got the contract and opened up a depot at Bletchley Milton Keynes and the majority of Biggs drivers ransfered there…

E.C.E. Transport was started by Eric Edwards in I believe Anchor & Hope Lane in East London. They were then on the A5 at Dunstable and run an immaculate fleet of vehicles mostly Volvo or Scania. They moved into Leighton Buzzard to Spinney Pool [where H.G.Brown had been] and if I remember correctly were the main contractor for Sainsburys.
After Mr Edwards died his son Eric took over the reins and I believe the company was sold to Baileys – they again fly under a different flag now I believe !! Buzzard Boy should know more than this being local ?!
I haven’t seen Eric for 2 or 3 years but believe he now resides in Nice or Eire.

Sidney Edwards [an ex Dawson Freight driver] did run red trucks from Leighton Buzzard and at one time was based off of Grovebury Rd on Harmill Trading Estate. Not 100% sure but didn’t his wife [June ?] run or own a company in Cherrycourt Way distributing beer, wines & spirits ? Willing to be corrected on that one though !! Met Sid many times and he’s a true “gent” !!

Request for any other Leighton Buzzard companies from the '70s or '80s ?
Can we include characters involved in Haulage & spread the area slightly ?
Tony Mongiardi, Tiny Lee, Frederick Rays Transport, Avery’s Transport - all in L.B. town. How about Howard Fawcett, Julian Mary Miles both local to L.B. ?
What about the “mileages” done in The Falcon or The Eagle pubs ■■
Come on Buzzard Boy help me out here please !!

Hi Buzzard Boy
I own an ex ECE F12 I dont know if it was theres or a Dawson contract lorry from new.
Its now 16 years old & still going strong.

E C E dry freight had the Mars contract in the 80’s .I drove for a cash & carry at cross green, in leeds back then, E C E, delivered there about 3 times a week, I remember chatting to one of there drivers once, who told me he was thourghly cheesed of, as his 18 month old 113 360 which was barely run in, was about to be replaced by a new one !!! I was’nt that sympathetic with him, given that my daily drive was a knackered Ford cargo 1615 !

jerry

Big Leggy:
Sidney Edwards [an ex Dawson Freight driver] did run red trucks from Leighton Buzzard and at one time was based off of Grovebury Rd on Harmill Trading Estate.

Thats where he was until he sold the trucks and rented out the yard to Fiege.
Your right he was a true gent, lovely bloke, and he had a couple of motors painted up and running for stobarts before he sold it all.

It had nothing to do at any time with the other Edwards company as mentioned here earlier

Sidney Edwards rented his yard out ? Thanks for the update !
Isn’t that the same yard where the two fitters Fred Hawkins & Milan Goljar operated out of [both ex H.G.Brown] ?
Any news on Sid ? Hope he/s still healthy if not wealthy !!

Can remember seeing Sidney J Edwards motors a few years back, F10/12s . . . Didnt they have England - Malta written on the cab doors ?

Just looked back through this thread and want to ask if anyone knows what happened to Kilty Transport ? Was it run by Kevin or his brother ? I seem to recall [memories not what it was after years of drinking frizante] that its operating centre was moved out of Leighton Buzzard to Luton [Poynters Rd possibly ?] Also recall Kevins father was a real grafter & in old age still operated a steam cleaning truck business !! Did the Kilty family also operate taxis out of Wing ?